BCS just got turned on its head

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by CedarPhin, Nov 19, 2011.

1. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame

Oregon gets beat
    OU down by 14 with 6 to go.
    OSU lost last night

Crazy.

2. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

Funny thing is, they are gonna end up getting it right, as the 2 best teams will rematch in the BCS title game.

3. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

BCS is never crazy. 9 times out of 10 they get it right. Looks like they're going to get it right again this season.

4. semperkillz

semperkillz Well-Known Member

Great we get another 9-6 ot game. Drinking game would be drink when u see a punt.

5. Dolfan3773

Dolfan3773 Bleeding 305 since 1987

Crazy weekend for college football

6. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Putz...and big ol ROLL TIDE.

7. biggiesmalls3k1

biggiesmalls3k1 How Bout Them Fins?!

great...we get another barnbuner for a rematch...6-3 OT victory with 6 missed FGs along the way and about 20 punts...

i hate seeing nick saban's face...they talk about the guy like he's bear bryant or something...i dont think he's better than jimmy or schnellenberger...

8. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

At least we can to get Saban lose again to LSU...

I wonder how angry he will be...

9. JCane

No one wants a rematch yet everyone cries for a playoff.

What are the odds a rematch happens in a playoff v. it just playing out like that.

10. Feed Rex Ryan

Feed Rex Ryan F the Jets

LSU would just beat Bama again.

It would be a home game for them.

11. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame

They can't lose in the Superdome.

12. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Sorry but the same argument in 2006 applies here. If you don't win your conference you shouldn't be playing in the National Championship. Bama has no business playing in it. None. Zip. Zero.

13. Namor

Hey all you Saban hating sheep..BAAAA...don't be surprised if the the rematch for the Nat'l Championship is Bama.vs Ark.
    It could happen ...1. 2 .and three from the same division.....6 in a row.
    If a playoff ever happens..then the SEC will really own college football...we are built
    for it.

14. Namor

Then who does ?...if Ark upsets LSU..Does that magically make Bama a better team.
    The two best teams should play...

15. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here.

New Standings:

#1. LSU (10-0)

#2. Alabama (10-1)

#3. Arkansas (10-1)

#4. Oklahoma State (10-1)

#5. Virginia Tech (10-1)

#6. Stanford (10-1)

#7. Boise State (9-1)

#8. Houston (11-0)

#9. Oklahoma (8-2)

#10. Oregon (9-2)

16. Namor

God...the SEC west is bad a**..we should should start our own league.

17. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

But if the goal is to get the two best teams in the country to play eachother, LSU and Bama should be the game, as of tonight. Why should the 2nd best team in the country not play for the National Championship just because they lost the conference to the #1 team? Assuming they win both out, Bamas only loss would be to LSU and no other team can top that. Is it not possible that the two best teams in CFB play in the same conference?

18. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm rooting for Auburn and Arkansas. Not because I dislike LSU or Bama, but I enjoy when the BCS is proven too be extremely flawed. Funny thing though, Only two of Arkansas, Bama, LSU, and even Georgia will make a BCS bowl due to the 2 per conference rule. So let's say LSU goes undefeated into the SEC championship game and then loses to Georgia in the SEC game. Well Georgia gets the automatic bid, and then only one of LSU, Bama, and Arkansas will get an at large.

19. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

So you're saying if LSU loses to Georgia, Oregon loses to UCLA, Virginia Tech loses to Clemson, Oklahoma St. loses to Oklahoma, then LSU, Bama, Oregon, Stanford, Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma St. should all be thrown out of the national championship picture because they didn't win their conference...

...leaving UCLA, Clemson, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Michigan St., and Georgia as the teams to choose from for the national title game?

20. tylerdolphin

After today, OSU deserves to be #2.

21. Feed Rex Ryan

Feed Rex Ryan F the Jets

If Bama can't beat LSU at home, then why would they beat LSU in New Orleans? They had their shot and blew it. Too bad.

22. Kdawg954

As much as I rather see Weeden and that Oklahoma State offense get a crack at LSU, I think Bama is the better team. Oklahoma St. dug this grave themselves by losing to a 6-6 Iowa State team.

Bama plays in a tougher conference and their loss was against the #1 team in the country (a game you can argue they outplayed LSU).

However after that performance OSU put up, I do think it isn't open and shut as it was before today. Before today I think people penned in LSU/Bama . . . even with a LSU loss. Now I think alot of people came away impressed with the way Oklahoma St. manhandled the Sooners.

23. Kdawg954

In a game where Bama missed how many FGs? How many close plays? They outplayed LSU in that game, they just couldn't capitalize on just ONE play.

OSU lost to Iowa State . . . what makes you think they have a chance against LSU in the N.O.? They certainly had their chance and they blew it.

24. Kdawg954

A +1 would be ideal right about now.

LSU vs. Stanford
    Bama vs. OSU

winners would play each other for the title.

25. tylerdolphin

Bama may be better, but OSU has the better resume after this week. 1 loss, and that came after a tragedy at the school. More top 25 wins than Bama. More top 50 wins than Bama. A blowout conference championship win.

They deserve it IMO.

26. tylerdolphin

Agreed 100%

27. TedSlimmJr

This 'trajedy' excuse for Oklahoma St. has become an utterly disgraceful talking point. They didn't seem to be bothered by the 'trajedy' when they were busy building a 24-7 lead in the 3rd quarter on Iowa St. Furthermore, Oklahoma St. had the option of moving that game to Saturday, but CHOSE to go ahead and play it.

I doubt any of those football players could identify that women's basketball coach in a lineup even if they had to. I didn't hear any excuses for Arkansas after one of their players died tragically.

Aaron Douglas, Alabama's starting left tackle died this summer. Almost an entire section of the city of Tuscaloosa was whiped off the map on April 27th.

The bottom line is Oklahoma St. lost to an unranked team that was a 4 TD underdog. Alabama lost to the #1 team in the country in overtime by a field goal.

Those two losses cannot carry the same weight.

On top of it, Oklahoma is awful. Texas Tech was beating them 31-7 in Norman. Speaking of tragedy, Oklahoma's starting MLB also died this summer... along with being without all of their best players (Ryan Broyles, Ronnell Lewis, etc.)

Oklahoma St. wouldn't be conference champions if they played in the SEC West.... nor does the Big-12 even have to play a conference championship game this year due to not having enough teams.

28. tylerdolphin

Cant really disagree with anything in that post, but Id still rather see OSU than the Bama re-run. Bama is possibly the better team, but OSU does have more wins over ranked opponents...their resume is just (IMO) better. Maybe Im biased because of the matchup Id personally rather see, but Im pulling for OSU to land at #2.

On the other hand, if OSU and Bama played next week, Bama are heavy favorites. I can definitely see both sides to this. I wont be really mad either way. This year is just proving why we need a +1 system IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  29. TedSlimmJr

The two best teams should play for the national championship, period. The only way Oklahoma St. should be voted above Bama is if that person believes Oklahoma St. is the better team. That's not possible if they've watched as much football as they think they have.

We'll find out when the coaches votes are made public in the final coach's poll.

Conference championships have never been relevant in the BCS, that's not what it's designed for. It's designed to get the two best teams in the country playing in the title game. Those were the rules when everyone started playing at the beginning of the season, (and every season before in the BCS era) so you can't change them all of the sudden in favor of a 'matchup'.

I'm not sure what 'matchups' has to do with anything. How many more times do people need to see Big-12 offenses flailing away helplessly against SEC defenses...

Everyone seems to love the playoff format of the NCAA basketball tourney... Bama won the SEC West in basketball last year and got left out of the tournament. Again, conference championships are irrelevant in any playoff system in any sport, the BCS should be no different.

The +1 scenario is fine, but if people are against a rematch just for the sake of not seeing an LSU/Bama rematch, it's absurd..nor can they be pining for a playoff in the same breath. It'll only increase the number of rematches you see in the championship game.

We were having rematches in the national title game before the BCS ever existed.

30. WitheringPlant

WitheringPlant Seasoned Veteran

Conference championships give you an auto-bid to non-football tournaments. Last time I checked, the SEC West isn't a conference. Good god, you really are an SEC megahonk.

31. Namor

As you are a fool....LSU or Bama would beat the Cowboys by three touchdowns.Did you even watch that crap team Oklahoma lay down for Ok.St?
    The BCS,like it or hate it..is about putting the two best teams in the title game..They got it right.
    A nat'l title contender doesn't lose to a 25 point underdog...fact

32. TedSlimmJr

Haven't found a team yet that played for a national title after losing to a .500 team, and I went all the way back to 1943.

The SEC has been playing in conference championship games in order to get into the national championship game for 2 decades while other conferences (Big-10, Pac-10, etc.) were getting in without having to play the extra game.

Strange how it's different all of the sudden since Alabama didn't get to play in the SEC title game.

I don't remember Notre Dame playing in any conference championship games... what about you Namor?

33. TedSlimmJr

And here's how the coaches voted...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-final-coaches-ballots/51647436/1

One of the most interesting things there is that Gene Chizik (Bama's arch-rival) voted Alabama #2. Apparently even he understands that a team that lost to the players he recruited at Iowa St. doesn't deserve to be playing for a national title.

This whole Oklahoma St. thing was nothing more than a media creation. Stanford has a better claim to the #2 spot than Okie St. A loss to Oregon vs. a loss to Iowa St? That's not close in any realm of reality... but we all digress I suppose....

34. JCane

BCS got it right again.

The BCS is like a cat. You can take it and toss it wildly in the air, but it will land on its feet.

The job of the BCS is to give you the two best teams in the country and here we have it.

LSU v. Alabama

35. dreday

dreday future of the funk

trent richardson will now win the heisman...

36. Namor

I think he deserves it...but I feel he'll catch some backlash from people thinking Bama shouldn't be in the title game.
    I hope he wins it.

37. dreday

dreday future of the funk

i think he wins it simply because he was this years best player,but we will see...

38. chrisbaucom

chrisbaucom Fins4Life

Or he hasn't played ok. state and only goes on what he has seen up close. Any bama fan is going to think it's right, and any ok state fan is going to think it's wrong. And most people without ties will be split.

39. TedSlimmJr

Not according to the coaches who voted... it was a landslide in favor of Alabama.

I fail to understand why anyone is even surprised... I said it numerous, numerous times leading up to the November matchup between LSU and Alabama that "this is the national championship game"...

These are the two best teams in the country and it's not nearly as close as the "SEC fatigued" media in certain parts of the country would lead you to believe.

I knew these were the two best teams in the country after the first month of the season.

40. TedSlimmJr

Furthermore, the SEC already proposed a +1 playoff scenario in 2008 in order to avoid this EXACT scenario. The Big-12 wanted no part of it.

They made their own bed in all this. Time to lay in it.