Beating the Patriots (notes and observations) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beating the Patriots (notes and observations)

Agreed. But I'm not worried about Josh Boyce or Danny Amendola or Aaron Dobson beating me. I am worried about Shane Vereen beating me. And if the Patriots are going to offer up a way to take him out of the game because of where they're lining him up, I'll take it.

Even if what you force them to do is to line him up outside the formation or motion him out there, you're making it easier for your defense. Any motion by Vereen would create a check that would cancel the blitz, and now you know where he is and -- based on route pattern matching -- the kinds of routes he's likely to run.

Wouldn't they just have the linemen run out to block on a quick screen if we blitzed? Those are scary plays, when you get a fast back on the sidelines with blockers in front.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

ANUfan, I'm calling you out. Why did you "thumbs down" my post?

Tanny has thrown MULTIPLE pick six's this season, which has hurt the team. We can NOT afford that versus the Pats if we plan to have any success.

If you want a gunslinger at QB, you have to be ready for some bad plays. Anyone else remember pick 6s from Marino on those out patterns? It's the whole reason JJ hired Kippy Brown to dumb down the offense.

Offensively, run early against the Pats...they are weak against the run other than Spikes. If that works, look for play action deep to wallace later in the game if he gets single coverage on anyone other than Talib.

Defensively? And I promise this would work, shadow Vereen with Vernon or Wake if he goes outside and blitz up the middle with Ellerbe. If Vereen stays in have a 5 man rush. Put Grimes on Edelman and take him out of the game. I'll give one on one with deep help to Nolan Carroll or Patterson on Amendola. Amendola may have a big game, but overall it'll throw off Brady's timing, and the Pats passing game is all about timing. Gronkowski was the only guy they had that they didn't care about the timing or the coverage they just expected him to beat whoever was on him.

The Fins MUST MUST MUST take Edelman out of the game early or Brady will use him like he used to use Welker. And if he can do that, it'll open up the outside stuff to Boyce/Amendola and possibly Vereen who they like to swing out or line up in the slot and send him into out routes or the corners of the end zone.

But Edelman and then Vereen are the keys, if they take those two guys out of the flow of the game, Amendola will not be able to do enough on his own to win it.

ANUfan, I'm calling you out. Why did you "thumbs down" my post?

Tanny has thrown MULTIPLE pick six's this season, which has hurt the team. We can NOT afford that versus the Pats if we plan to have any success.

You really expect an answer?
You won't get it.

Sometimes I have the feeling people don't even know why they use the thumbs up or down. And anytime yiu use Tannehill with INT or pick six in the same sentence you will get a thumbs down. The modern version of a 'hit and run'.

You can't evaluate Tannehill objectively here without getting the "You are a h.a.t.e.r " line which is the most ridiculous sentence of our times.
It has gotten so bad that if you would write down Tannehill's stats from last game like that
20 of 33 for 200 yards and 2TDs you will get a thumbs up.
But if you put in the entire stat line
20 of 33 for 200 yards, 2TDs and 1INT you will get a thumbs down because you dared to associate Tannehill with an INT.

Though your comment was a general comment which you can say about any and all QBs the best you can expect is: You are a h.a.t.e.r.
:lol:

Edit: You really did it Bill. :lol::hclap:

Offensively, run early against the Pats...they are weak against the run other than Spikes. If that works, look for play action deep to wallace later in the game if he gets single coverage on anyone other than Talib.

Defensively? And I promise this would work, shadow Vereen with Vernon or Wake if he goes outside and blitz up the middle with Ellerbe. If Vereen stays in have a 5 man rush. Put Grimes on Edelman and take him out of the game. I'll give one on one with deep help to Nolan Carroll or Patterson on Amendola. Amendola may have a big game, but overall it'll throw off Brady's timing, and the Pats passing game is all about timing. Gronkowski was the only guy they had that they didn't care about the timing or the coverage they just expected him to beat whoever was on him.

The Fins MUST MUST MUST take Edelman out of the game early or Brady will use him like he used to use Welker. And if he can do that, it'll open up the outside stuff to Boyce/Amendola and possibly Vereen who they like to swing out or line up in the slot and send him into out routes or the corners of the end zone.

But Edelman and then Vereen are the keys, if they take those two guys out of the flow of the game, Amendola will not be able to do enough on his own to win it.

Definitely worth a 15 yarder and a fine for someone to put Edelman to sleep over the middle

I agree with the OP. Don't run early use play action and take advantage of Spikes in coverage in early downs

I think that's playing roulette with Belichick, who is very good at disguising his weaknesses. and Spikes is often more in zone than man, and I don't think we have a back that can take advantage of that. Plus the Pats take Spikes off the field on passing downs and play Dane Fletcher, who is a solid cover linebacker. The reason the Pats D is ranked so low is because they can't stop the run and they give up big pass plays late in games. Don't re-invent the wheel. Wear them out in the Florida sun, then go deep. Just my two cents from watching the Patsies every week in Boston.

Also if Dennard doesn't rip Charles clays arm down late in the last game, its a huge gain, maybe a TD. That plus a missed field goal and a blocked field goal and that game is tied late in the 4th.

I agree with the OP. Don't run early use play action and take advantage of Spikes in coverage in early downs

Wouldn't they just have the linemen run out to block on a quick screen if we blitzed? Those are scary plays, when you get a fast back on the sidelines with blockers in front.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

True, but two things:

1. The Patriots do not have very dynamic run after catch players. Certainly not of the standard of Demaryius Thomas, to use the example you're probably thinking of.

2. If we can't stop those plays, we won't beat them anyway. The Patriots screen a lot. We have to attack screens in both man or zone coverage. Fortunately, the Patriots also don't have a deep threat -- unlike, say, the Broncos -- which should allow us to play single high/man under defense most of the game with Reshad Jones in a Kam Chancellor-like rover position. That should help snuff out these plays.

I think that's playing roulette with Belichick, who is very good at disguising his weaknesses. and Spikes is often more in zone than man, and I don't think we have a back that can take advantage of that. Plus the Pats take Spikes off the field on passing downs and play Dane Fletcher, who is a solid cover linebacker. The reason the Pats D is ranked so low is because they can't stop the run and they give up big pass plays late in games. Don't re-invent the wheel. Wear them out in the Florida sun, then go deep. Just my two cents from watching the Patsies every week in Boston.

Also if Dennard doesn't rip Charles clays arm down late in the last game, its a huge gain, maybe a TD. That plus a missed field goal and a blocked field goal and that game is tied late in the 4th.

I agree with you. After I posted that I thought about all the times I have seen Spikes in zone, recall hiom deflecting a few passes against us. To be honest there is no matchup or player I am really worried about. It is New England's ability to find ways to win late. If we have a lead in this game say, 17-10. We need to try and score 35 plus, they will score late we need to keep scoring. It is a double edged sword though, last time we had a lead on them we abandoned the run in an attempt to puit them away IMO

Dobsons out, and Boyce and Brady are not competely on the same page. It is Edelman and Vereen. Much like the old Jordan rules...I'll give Amendola 120 yds and a TD if we shut out the other two we probably still win the game.

Agreed. But I'm not worried about Josh Boyce or Danny Amendola or Aaron Dobson beating me. I am worried about Shane Vereen beating me. And if the Patriots are going to offer up a way to take him out of the game because of where they're lining him up, I'll take it.

Even if what you force them to do is to line him up outside the formation or motion him out there, you're making it easier for your defense. Any motion by Vereen would create a check that would cancel the blitz, and now you know where he is and -- based on route pattern matching -- the kinds of routes he's likely to run.

Dobsons out, and Boyce and Brady are not competely on the same page. It is Edelman and Vereen. Much like the old Jordan rules...I'll give Amendola 120 yds and a TD if we shut out the other two we probably still win the game.

Thank you. I thought he was but I wasn't sure.

Yeah, Amendola isn't winning this game for them. If we can't stop him and Edelman then we deserve to lose. Taking Vereen away has to be job #1.

Either way its gonna be a close one I think, which is an improvement considering with Gronk I don't see Miami winning at all. To this day TE's kill us repeatedly.

Thank you. I thought he was but I wasn't sure.

Yeah, Amendola isn't winning this game for them. If we can't stop him and Edelman then we deserve to lose. Taking Vereen away has to be job #1.

I give up on handicapping the Patriots based on Xs and Os. I've tried it countless times and it seldom pans out.

I'd also be very careful bucking New England in this game, when favored by only 2.5. Brady has a phenomenal record against the number when the spread is low. They often sleepwalk or are somewhat overrated in games like last week, as considerable favorite, but once the number basically asks them to win the game they prosper because they are very skilled in doing just that, winning the game, especially late in the season.

Back
Top Bottom