Bellicheat half time strategy backfires. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bellicheat half time strategy backfires.

Fins1971

C'mon Dolphins
Club Member
Reaction score
The Patriots usually defer to start games and hope to score right before halftime. Then they get the ball to start the 3rd period and take advantage of back to back possessions. The strategy backfired yesterday. With 1:30 remain and pinned deep in there own territory it looked like Patriots were content to run out the clock and go to halftime. But after picking up an initial first down they started to pass the ball. A sack and in completion forced 4th down and the Patriots were forced to punt because they didn't run out the clock. The punt was blocked and returned for TD and the Patriots never led again. Even the great one can make game management mistakes after all of the games he has coached. Should have taken the 14-7 lead to halftime.

Nothing wrong with the strategy of going for the points. I wish we had coaches with those kind of balls. Sitting on it and taking the lead into halftime is the same kind of playing not to lose mentality that has infested our coaching staffs since Shula.

What stood out more than anything is just how big of a hit they took talent wise with all of the injuries this year. They make mediocre players into stars in that system and even they can't get anything out of LaFail.

I wasn't putting down the strategy. Most of the times it works for the Patriots but this time it didn't. Sometimes being conservative can be the best option. Not like we have been over the past years but smart conservative. Looks like the wheels are starting to fall off after all the injuries.

The Eagles ended a winning streak of 94 straight home games won when leading by 8 points or more. Patriots never lose a 2 score lead at home. Until now.

"It is one thing to lose a 14-point lead in Denver, but the Patriots have been unbeatable at home once they get ahead like that. In fact, the Patriots were 94-0 at home since 2001 when leading by at least eight points at any time in the game. "

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2015/clutch-encounters-week-13

Bellicheat much more conservative to end half vs Jets. Almost Dolphin like. WTF. Does he have jitters since the Philly game?

It was a big screw up on the OT coin flip too.

I don't fault Bellicheck for running out the half. The Jets D was clearly dominating the game in the first half (pretty much all day). I think he wanted to get to the half and regroup instead of risking a costly mistake when he was already down 10-3 and the Jets had all the momentum. He came out trying to push the ball down the field to start the 3rd and Revis picked Brady.

To me the biggest blunder is obvious. Not taking the ball to start OT. Terrible mistake.

Back
Top Bottom