Best and most questionable 2017 NFL Draft picks: AFC East | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best and most questionable 2017 NFL Draft picks: AFC East

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins

Best pick: Isaac Asiata, OG, Utah (Round 5, No. 164 overall)
The skinny: Big and physical, Asiata can lose patience and play out of control at times, but he plays like a forklift who is able to move cargo and open running lanes. The Dolphins found a future starter in the fifth round.

Most questionable pick: Raekwon McMillan, LB, Ohio State (Round 2, No. 54 overall)
The skinny: Obviously, there are some who liked McMillan more than I did when I studied him on tape, but I still think the second round is too early for a linebacker who is more of a worker bee than playmaker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...afc-east?campaign=fb-nf-sf77340157-sf77340157

got to say I agree. I love the Asiata pick. I know a lot love the McMillan pick. I'm luke warm on him. He is a 2 down guy. I know several OSU fans that say he is way overrated. I will wait and see what happens. I think we only drafted one day one starter. I liked the draft not loved it. We certainly got depth and I hope they all eventually help

McMillan was the pick I did not like...hope I'm wrong about him but I'm usually right about players I don't like.

McMillan was the pick I did not like...hope I'm wrong about him but I'm usually right about players I don't like.

McMillan was the pick I didn't see coming, nor was I very familiar with McMillan. Now, McMillan is a pick I like more and more. I don't expect excellence, but "solid" would do nicely.

I really liked both of those picks. So ... I'm gonna cherry-pick and just revel in the "forklift" comment. I mean, we're a team that has struggled to open run lanes since we had OL named Long and Smiley ... both of whom I think are retired now.

For most questionable I probably would have said Godchaux, but that's probably too low of a round to be in consideration for this article.

cool thanks for the discussion. the most athletic he has ever looked was the combine. that athleticism does not translate to film. he is a solid run stopper. which is a two down guy for now. hopefully he becomes a complete backer

Word on McMillan before the draft was that he was a hard worker, had top instincts, a leader and most importantly (at least for me) once he gets his hands on you, your not going anywhere.

Yes, he is a problem in coverage, not that thumper/huge punisher we hope to get in the middle or highly athletic sideline to sideline LB....if he was, he would have not only been a 1st round pick, he would have been a top 15 pick.

I guess the question that everyone needs to ask, do you want a player with a high ceiling that might or might not ever reach those high expectation, or are you happy enough to get a player that has a high floor that you can count on week in, week out? Personally, I love this kid, he is exactly what this LB Squad needed, and though he is that high floor player, he is also a hard worker, wants to learn, and in time will be an even better LB.

Only questionable pick for me was Godchaux. Would have rather had Nate Gerry from Nebraska. But now I hope Godchaux makes the team as I have connection with him and he would hook me up with tix

Word on McMillan before the draft was that he was a hard worker, had top instincts, a leader and most importantly (at least for me) once he gets his hands on you, your not going anywhere.

Yes, he is a problem in coverage, not that thumper/huge punisher we hope to get in the middle or highly athletic sideline to sideline LB....if he was, he would have not only been a 1st round pick, he would have been a top 15 pick.

You just went there. :facepalm According to this "logic" first round picks never fail and top talent never falls out of the first round. Which we both know is :poop.

Show me were McMillan is a "problem" in coverage and we can have a conversation. All people are doing here is latching on to a small sample of other people's opinion and pretending it's their own. Watch some tape and form your own ****ing opinion and stop clinging to others coattails.

First step would be for some of you to actually understand a MLB's responsibilities as defensive captain and the utmost importance of what one does pre-snap which is more than 2/3's of the job. Then try (but don't waste too much time b/c it's futile) to explain how McMillan is a "problem" in pass coverage. Good luck.

I am going with Harris the first rounder currently and this is the reason why. Honestly at first when we chose him I was a bit lukewarm, wanting us to grab perhaps a more highly rated player in another position. When I had a chance to mull over the pick I really looked at it as a outstanding selection for us and one I ferl like if we passed it by this year moving forward we would regret. Last year I did not have much hope for this club at the beginning of the year, letting all our free agents walk, new rookie coach and really our aged star player Wake sidelined with a achillies injury I doubted he could rebound from. Wake did rebound and between that surprise, Ajayi surprising running game and Gase we won those 10 games and I really credit those 4 persons the most. I believe Gase reconized that also realized that with Wakes age and injury history we were living on borrowed time. Certain positions in the draft like QB and a dynamic DE you jump on when the opportunity presents itself in the first round even if its a slight gamble. When if Wake is not on the field its going to look like a genius move.

Doesn't this writer know that the end-all and be-all of draft evaluation, his holiness, Mel Kiper, rated Asiata as undraftable? LOL

Back
Top Bottom