Best and Worst Drafts by Division, Conference, and Overall | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best and Worst Drafts by Division, Conference, and Overall

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
AFC East:

Best: New York Jets
Worst: New England Patriots

AFC North:

Best: Pittsburgh Steelers
Worst: Cincinnati Bengals

AFC South:

Best: Houston Texans
Worst: Tennessee Titans

AFC West:

Best: Denver Broncos
Worst: San Diego Chargers

. . .

AFC Best: Houston Texans
AFC Worst: Tennessee Titans

. . .

NFC East:

Best: New York Giants
Worst: Philadelphia Eagles

NFC North:

Best: Green Bay Packers
Worst: Minnesota Vikings

NFC South:

Best: New Orleans Saints
Worst: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West:

Best: San Fransisco 49ers
Worst: Seattle Seahawks

. . .

NFC Best: Green Bay Packers
NFC Worst: Seattle Seahawks

. . .

Draft Super Bowl Champions: Houston Texans
Draft Super Bowl Lottery Winners: Seattle Seahawks

I suppose it depends on your grading terms.

To me everything has to be factored and that means factoring in New England's trading of present picks for future picks, which I think easily makes up for any disagreements I might have with Nate Solder (who was set to be drafted by the Giants at #19 if New England didn't take him) or Stevan Ridley. I have no problems with their Ras-I Dowling pick, or their Shane Vereen pick. I think the Mallett pick was a boondoggle, and most analysts seem to agree that it was a "steal" for them. Markell Carter was a pretty decent pick to me. Lee Smith I can get with because I know exactly what role he'll play in their system and I think he's perfect for it. They had Kyle Brady playing a similar role a few years ago, played a LOT of snaps, pretty much almost purely as a blocker.

I'd give the worst grades to Nate Solder, Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon. But their acquisition of 1st and 2nd rounders in 2012 more than make up for that and the Mallett pick will be a boon. Overall I'd give their Draft something like a B.

I suppose it depends on your grading terms.

To me everything has to be factored and that means factoring in New England's trading of present picks for future picks, which I think easily makes up for any disagreements I might have with Nate Solder (who was set to be drafted by the Giants at #19 if New England didn't take him) or Stevan Ridley. I have no problems with their Ras-I Dowling pick, or their Shane Vereen pick. I think the Mallett pick was a boondoggle, and most analysts seem to agree that it was a "steal" for them. Markell Carter was a pretty decent pick to me. Lee Smith I can get with because I know exactly what role he'll play in their system and I think he's perfect for it. They had Kyle Brady playing a similar role a few years ago, played a LOT of snaps, pretty much almost purely as a blocker.

I'd give the worst grades to Nate Solder, Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon. But their acquisition of 1st and 2nd rounders in 2012 more than make up for that and the Mallett pick will be a boon. Overall I'd give their Draft something like a B.

If their draft existed in a vacuum, I'd be inclined to give them a much higher grade. I just can't give them too much credit for acquiring these picks, because I see them underachieve with those picks year in and year out, and it's THE reason - in my estimation - that they lose to teams like the Ravens and Jets come playoff time. When you look at the talent on the teams aside from the QB position, you wonder how the Patriots got there in the firs place. Swap Solder for Prince; swap Dowling for Brooks Reed or Leonard Hankerson (I see WR as a real need for that team) or M. Leshoure and you're talking about an outstanding start. Remember how a ton of Miami fans were crying in fear over all the picks the Patriots had going into this draft? How scary the prospect was? Armando even wrote an article about it. What did they really do? Are they any scarier? I hate our draft for this FO. Without a QB, you're never doing anything. But, I think we got significantly better in a few areas. Our running game should be much better, and our passing game added options that bring them into the 21st Century. If we ever do get a QB and a real FO, we should look back at this draft with some fondness - behind the frustration.

Mallett is the only pick I like from New England, and he's not going to play for how long? I mean, for the sake of ****, you have a top-5 QB in his 30s. With the amount of picks the Patriots have amassed over the last few seasons, they should have one of the very best D's in the NFL.

It's all relative. They had bad picks from 2006 to 2008 but starting in 2009 I don't know what means anyone could use to disparage their drafting. Regardless of whether I disagreed with any picks in particular, in 2009 and 2010 they've picked up guys that played a LOT of snaps and have played well within their system. I don't see going 7th level into why despite a 14-2 season record they lose to a team in the playoffs, it's clear that what they're doing has them on the right path and the 14-2 record shows that. They're getting some of the most contribution from young players of any team in the league and when those young players grow up maybe they'll be more prone to playing well in crucial playoff games but in the mean time they've been good FOREVER and their drafting is a part of the reason why.

I think the Patriots are as scary now as they've ever been. They have all these youngsters they drafted in 2009 and 2010 that have been contributing well and some of them are going to come of age, they've added some more talented role players to a backfield that already accomplished much just as role players not necessarily talented ones, but now they've got talent. They have a backup plan in case Brady gets hurt, something that was crucial to them going for an 11-5 record in 2008. I don't think any other team in football could have lost a player like Tom Brady and still gone 11-5. They could do that because they did the impossible in finding a second franchise starter worthy QB in the late rounds. Now they have Mallett and my evaluation of him has not changed. He'll serve as backup in case Tom Brady gets hurt and then they'll exchange him for picks in a few years. And actually it's really scary to have added Ras-I Dowling. A physical corner that can run with anyone, paired up with Devin McCourty who is going to be a Pro Bowler? That's scary. That was the ONE weakness in their defense last year that you could isolate and hammer on, hammer on, and hammer some more. It'll still be the weakness until Dowling proves it isn't, but the possibility of him closing that gap sometime this year or next year...yeah that DOES scare me. Cuz I know their offense is going to be good and I know their front seven is going to be good.

If their draft existed in a vacuum, I'd be inclined to give them a much higher grade. I just can't give them too much credit for acquiring these picks, because I see them underachieve with those picks year in and year out, and it's THE reason - in my estimation - that they lose to teams like the Ravens and Jets come playoff time. When you look at the talent on the teams aside from the QB position, you wonder how the Patriots got there in the firs place. Swap Solder for Prince; swap Dowling for Brooks Reed or Leonard Hankerson (I see WR as a real need for that team) or M. Leshoure and you're talking about an outstanding start. Remember how a ton of Miami fans were crying in fear over all the picks the Patriots had going into this draft? How scary the prospect was? Armando even wrote an article about it. What did they really do? Are they any scarier? I hate our draft for this FO. Without a QB, you're never doing anything. But, I think we got significantly better in a few areas. Our running game should be much better, and our passing game added options that bring them into the 21st Century. If we ever do get a QB and a real FO, we should look back at this draft with some fondness - behind the frustration.

Mallett is the only pick I like from New England, and he's not going to play for how long? I mean, for the sake of ****, you have a top-5 QB in his 30s. With the amount of picks the Patriots have amassed over the last few seasons, they should have one of the very best D's in the NFL.

If NE actually ever used these picks great but they continue to pass on top level talent for value trades and continue to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. I couldn't agree any more with you j-off-her-doll about NE!

This perception that New England never actually uses their picks is just that...a perception. And a false one at that. Over the last three drafted the Patriots have had 4076.7 "chart points" worth of draft picks allotted to them by the NFL. In each and every single Draft, they have ended up picking between 50 and 100% more "points" worth of players. That includes this year. They were allotted 1185 points' worth of draft picks this year and they used 2400 points' worth of value. That's a 103% premium.

Details matter.

False perceptions don't.

I wished we failed as much as the Pat's.

This perception that New England never actually uses their picks is just that...a perception. And a false one at that. Over the last three drafted the Patriots have had 4076.7 "chart points" worth of draft picks allotted to them by the NFL. In each and every single Draft, they have ended up picking between 50 and 100% more "points" worth of players. That includes this year. They were allotted 1185 points' worth of draft picks this year and they used 2400 points' worth of value. That's a 103% premium.

Details matter.

False perceptions don't.

I never said that they don't use their picks or points. I just don't think they use them well. I saw a team lose to the Jets and Ravens because they were physically overwhelmed as a team.

Sorry, just saw that the previous post probably wasn't addressed to me.

If Miami and New England switched coaching staffs and QB's, I think Tom Brady would have a much better chance of winning the SB. And, I don't rate Miami as one of the very most talented teams across the board - not as talented as the Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Packers, etc.

Details matter.

False perceptions don't.

Let me know when points value wins you anything especially for a team that many perceive as being loaded with talent. The value in collecting multiple picks works best for re-builds that have many, many holes to fill. If your loaded with talent wouldn't picking up the most talented player make more sense then taking that same pick trading back and selecting two good players?

NE does a fantastic job of working the draft in terms of value but they need play makers on defense and have needed them for 3 years now. So my "perception" becomes the truth when they leave extremely talented players that would make their team a real contender again for value picks that have not made a real difference for them. For three years now the holes have been the same for NE, something our FO/CS get killed for around here but somehow NE escapes the same criticism.
Tom Brady's championship window is getting smaller each year and NE's draft theory isn't doing anything to take advantage!

Let me know when points value wins you anything especially for a team that many perceive as being loaded with talent. The value in collecting multiple picks works best for re-builds that have many, many holes to fill. If your loaded with talent wouldn't picking up the most talented player make more sense then taking that same pick trading back and selecting two good players?

NE does a fantastic job of working the draft in terms of value but they need play makers on defense and have needed them for 3 years now. So my "perception" becomes the truth when they leave extremely talented players that would make their team a real contender again for value picks that have not made a real difference for them. For three years now the holes have been the same for NE, something our FO/CS get killed for around here but somehow NE escapes the same criticism.
Tom Brady's championship window is getting smaller each year and NE's draft theory isn't doing anything to take advantage!

And YOU let ME know when the Patriots stop having 14 win seasons and stop winning the division. LOL. You're acting like they suck and their failed strategies suck as bad as our failed strategies. Their "fails" are our "wins".

i'd say the giants were the overall winners. mainly becuz we passed on prince. i made it clear he was my choice all along. hope pouncey proves me wrong.

how bout dallas draft...that secondary is nothing short of horrid and i don't see where they added any upgrades there...unless i've forgotten about someone...jerry jones must have a wink wink with someone who's gonna be a free agent or traded when the time comes

cause that secondary is horrid at free safety and corner...points a plenty in the passing game

and i still want someone to explain to me outside of kenrick ellis talents what the jets did that was so damn great

how bout dallas draft...that secondary is nothing short of horrid and i don't see where they added any upgrades there...unless i've forgotten about someone...jerry jones must have a wink wink with someone who's gonna be a free agent or traded when the time comes

cause that secondary is horrid at free safety and corner...points a plenty in the passing game

and i still want someone to explain to me outside of kenrick ellis talents what the jets did that was so damn great

I didn't love any of the AFC East drafts. I like the Wilkerson and Powell picks - those in conjunction with the Ellis pick are enough for me to put them ahead of a really up-and-down Bills draft (mostly down), a Miami draft that saw us pass on QB's and draft a C/G at #15, and a terrible Patriots draft. As a division, I thought the AFC East had some of the worst drafts.

Houston to me had the best draft out of anybody without really having a lot of picks. I'm not too impressed with the Panthers draft either. Seattle's is.... interesting

Back
Top Bottom