Best and Worst Drafts by Division, Conference, and Overall | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best and Worst Drafts by Division, Conference, and Overall

Seattle had the worst draft that I can remember (granted we don't know how the players will actually work out). The pick that gets me is Chris Durham in the fourth round. It's okay, you're not supposed to know who he is and that's the point.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Pats win cus of brady. brady goes. so goes NE. that is the real reason bb is genius. but aside from that, he is a trade addict. still waiting for those great drafts of Butler, BC DT, Chung, ect ect. to really make their mark.

Great players for NE were drafted years ago....wilfork, brady, ect. but others are just ordinary who play on a team of great coaching and system. thats the diff. they get by while scoring lots of points. oh, and their special teams actually score points. guys like that NC WR makin sean smith look weak.

Pats win cus of brady. brady goes. so goes NE. that is the real reason bb is genius. but aside from that, he is a trade addict. still waiting for those great drafts of Butler, BC DT, Chung, ect ect. to really make their mark.

Great players for NE were drafted years ago....wilfork, brady, ect. but others are just ordinary who play on a team of great coaching and system. thats the diff. they get by while scoring lots of points. oh, and their special teams actually score points. guys like that NC WR makin sean smith look weak.

Chung stepped up this past season and would have gone on to have a great season had it not been for the injury. AS for the last great player NE drafted, look no further than Devin McCourty from last year, or Sebastian Vollmer from 2009. I mentioned it before, the 06-08 drafts were a badrun, but the 09, 2010 and hopefully 2011 classes have/will done a lot of good for the team. Plenty of rookie and 2nd year players stepped up and helped the team last year, and with everyone getting healthy and more experienced NE will be a force again in 2011. As for trading picks, while I don't always agree with it (trading 28 away this year), it usually works out well for the team. In 2009 we traded a 3rd round pick with Tennessee for a 2nd in 2010. The Titans took Jared Cook, NE took Brandon Spikes the following year. Last year NE gave up the 89th pick to Carolina for the 33rd pick in 2011; the Panthers took Armani Edwards, NE took Ras-I Dowling.

I suppose it depends on your grading terms.

To me everything has to be factored and that means factoring in New England's trading of present picks for future picks, which I think easily makes up for any disagreements I might have with Nate Solder (who was set to be drafted by the Giants at #19 if New England didn't take him) or Stevan Ridley. I have no problems with their Ras-I Dowling pick, or their Shane Vereen pick. I think the Mallett pick was a boondoggle, and most analysts seem to agree that it was a "steal" for them. Markell Carter was a pretty decent pick to me. Lee Smith I can get with because I know exactly what role he'll play in their system and I think he's perfect for it. They had Kyle Brady playing a similar role a few years ago, played a LOT of snaps, pretty much almost purely as a blocker.

I'd give the worst grades to Nate Solder, Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon. But their acquisition of 1st and 2nd rounders in 2012 more than make up for that and the Mallett pick will be a boon. Overall I'd give their Draft something like a B.

How long you been waiting to squeeze this word in a convo?

regarding the draft this year, I give NE a C; mainly because they traded away the 28th pick and passed on Cam Heyward. I liked the Solder pick and loved the Dowling pick and I was a Vereen fan so I had no problem taking a RB. Getting Marcus Cannon that late was impressive, and I liked the Markell Carter selection. BB said that they are expecting young players, especially those from last year, to continue to progress. I have no problem with a coach having faith in his players and I trust the team in its ability to develop talent, but I would have continued to add more to the front 7.

I was surprised the Jets didn't take a rush LB or even Rahim Moore; I like Wilkerson but the Jets dline is already talented.

For Miami I liked the Pouncey pick but the rest of their draft just didn't do much for me. Gates has the athleticism, but the WR class outside of Green and Jones doesn't impress me, and I felt there were better backs than Thomas. Miami could have gone with Demarco Murray, Vereen or even Taiwan Jones; at the very least he would have improved their return game.

i'd say the giants were the overall winners. mainly becuz we passed on prince. i made it clear he was my choice all along. hope pouncey proves me wrong.

Did we need another Cb?

We have the most depth there at this time.

Houston to me had the best draft out of anybody without really having a lot of picks. I'm not too impressed with the Panthers draft either. Seattle's is.... interesting
I liked the Bucs draft a lot just like last year.

And YOU let ME know when the Patriots stop having 14 win seasons and stop winning the division. LOL. You're acting like they suck and their failed strategies suck as bad as our failed strategies. Their "fails" are our "wins".

I thought winning the Superbowl is what mattered and a team like NE that has one of the best QB's in football has a shot at winning the Superbowl every year. Why aren't they? Could it be their defense is weak and continues to fail them especially with no pass rush what so ever. So as far as I'm concerned they have a failed strategy! The fact that they have not won a Superbowl since their defense began to age and slide in terms of talent you would think it would be a priority to fix the defense. They have been able to reverse the age of their defense but not with great talent only "valued talent". They continue to pass on players like C.Mathews for "value" draft picks and continue to lose in the first round of the playoffs because of it, but they were 14-2 so it's okay.

NE is no different then Indy right now, built to win in the regular season but designed to lose in the playoffs. When NE fianlly realizes this T.Brady will be in a rocking chair and instead of telling stories about his 5 or 6 Superbowl wins I'm sure he'll be talking about all those great 14-2 seasons!

I love the NE love that flies around here, if that was our team people would demand a change and rip the CS something fierce for failing in the playoffs every year. But keep trading those picks for that great value so 2012, 2013, 2014 will all be the same... 1st round knock outs! But atleast they were 14-2, lol.

New England started rebuidling its defense following the 2008 season. The 2009 team had serious flaws on both sides of the ball; namely a lack of quality leadership. The picks from the 2009 and 2010 drafts have begun to show their worth, and several players from those draft classes were a big reason why the team was able to win 14 games last year; when many analysts expected the team to finish 2nd or 3rd in the division.

As far as passing on Clay Matthews; 25 other teams did the same thing, including Scott Pioli's Chiefs, who in 2008 had a historically awful pass rush. The entire team combined for something like 10 sacks. So why did the draft genius Pioli, the man everyone says New England has missed the past few years, reach for Tyson Jackson instead of draft Clay? Everyone seems to forget that out of the 3 USC linebackers that year he was considered the least NFL ready, and there were tons of questions surrounding his game (only started his senior year; was he the product of great players around him, etc). If teams knew what he would become he would have been a top 3 pick

The Patriots had the youngest defense in the NFL last year; were people expecting them to dominate on that side of the ball or something? The team lost it's starting CB and DE before the season began, the dline was plagued with injuries all season and the team started at least 3 rookies at 3 critical spots all year long-------and they allowed 19.6 PPG. For all the crap the pass-rush took last year (and it was still a weak spot, just not 2009 bad), it actually improved from the year before, both in terms of sacks and overall pressures and disruptions, and that was with an injured and inexperienced unit. Between everyone being more experienced (assuming this lockout junk gets resolved) and coming back healthy I don't see any reason why the defense won't continue to gel and improve in 2011. If players like Spikes, Cunningham and Brace don't continue to improve then obviously not drafting for a front 7 player this past year was a mistake, but I trust the team's ability to develop talent.

New England started rebuidling its defense following the 2008 season. The 2009 team had serious flaws on both sides of the ball; namely a lack of quality leadership. The picks from the 2009 and 2010 drafts have begun to show their worth, and several players from those draft classes were a big reason why the team was able to win 14 games last year; when many analysts expected the team to finish 2nd or 3rd in the division.

As far as passing on Clay Matthews; 25 other teams did the same thing, including Scott Pioli's Chiefs, who in 2008 had a historically awful pass rush. The entire team combined for something like 10 sacks. So why did the draft genius Pioli, the man everyone says New England has missed the past few years, reach for Tyson Jackson instead of draft Clay? Everyone seems to forget that out of the 3 USC linebackers that year he was considered the least NFL ready, and there were tons of questions surrounding his game (only started his senior year; was he the product of great players around him, etc). If teams knew what he would become he would have been a top 3 pick

25 other teams didn't desparetely need pass rush help and Clay was ranked to go anywhere from the late teens up, he was a player I hoped we'd grab but when Vontae fell he made the most sense to pick. NE selecting him at 23 was a match made in heaven and I for one am glad they didn't do it.

Your comparing the 3rd pick in which a DE was selected to the 23rd pick where a pass rushing OLB was available to a team that has needed pass rush help for the last few years. KC was rebuilding the trenches at that time, I really don't understand what that has to do with the original conversation?

This is about NE being loaded with talent, having a great QB that has your team Superbowl ready (already proven winner) and the only real position holding them back is their lack of pass rush. The QB allows you the luxury of double digit wins year in and year out but the weakness in your defense forces you out in the 1st round of the playoffs each year. Then to top that off the great BB trades R.Seymour for again great value but now his limited pass rush just became garbage trading away his only threat from the DL.

So why continue to pass on your need all the time just to trade back for "value", where's the sense in that? I feel their wasting the opportunity to win more Superbowls with Tom Brady for the sake of proving the great value BB can get out of his drafts. That idea makes more sense to a re-building team not a team with a couple holes to fill in which they once again failed to do after this draft.

Then add that many argue NE has a lot of draft misses because their so loaded in talent because it's hard to make their talented roster yet continues to pass on "elite" talent for draft value. That makes little sense to me, it would make more sense to trade up or stay where you are and take the best talent available.

KC had one of the worst pass rushing defenses of all time; you don't reach for a 5 technique with the 3rd overall pick unless he's the next Richard Seymour or Aaron Smith.

How many times has NE "passed on elite talent?" Last year they supposedly did that by not taking Kindle or Dez Bryant, yet they struck gold with their picks. In 2009 they got blasted for "reaching" for Sebastian Vollmer instead of taking Michael Oher, in 2008 everyone wondered why they passed on "elite prospects" like Leodis McKelvin and Keith Rivers for Jerod Mayo.

The one year New England made consensus picks and took what seemed like top end talent was in 2006. Maroney was drafted where he was expected to go and everyone praised the team for trading up to draft Chad Jackson, who was ranked ahead of Greg Jennings.

If you want to argue that they didn't draft well for a stretch, that's fine, but ever since Scott Pioli left and Floyd Reese arrived the team's drafts have been very strong, and I don't see why they won't continue.

Regarding the pass rush, how many stud pass rushers have been drafted that New England had a chance to get? By my count, only Lamarr Woodley and Clay Matthews stand out. People always go back to the 2007 draft and compalin about not picking Woodley, but they forget that OLB was a position of strenght at the time given that Vrabel was still in his prime and they just signed Afailius. Passing on Matthews looks bad, but the team still got quality players from that draft and as I mentioned already, there was no guarantee Matthews would turn out the way he did.

The Patriots had the youngest defense in the NFL last year; were people expecting them to dominate on that side of the ball or something? The team lost it's starting CB and DE before the season began, the dline was plagued with injuries all season and the team started at least 3 rookies at 3 critical spots all year long-------and they allowed 19.6 PPG. For all the crap the pass-rush took last year (and it was still a weak spot, just not 2009 bad), it actually improved from the year before, both in terms of sacks and overall pressures and disruptions, and that was with an injured and inexperienced unit. Between everyone being more experienced (assuming this lockout junk gets resolved) and coming back healthy I don't see any reason why the defense won't continue to gel and improve in 2011. If players like Spikes, Cunningham and Brace don't continue to improve then obviously not drafting for a front 7 player this past year was a mistake, but I trust the team's ability to develop talent.

2008 draft - J.Mayo was a great pick, 2nd rounder T.Wheatly isn't even on the roster. 3rd rounders S.Crable and K.O'Conell are both not even on the roster. 4th rounder CB J.Whilhite is a limited role player.

2009 draft - P.Chung has been a nice pick for them, 2nd rounders R.Brace and D.Butler are big time dissapointments. 3rd rounders B.Tate and T.McKenzie haven't played half as well as they hoped and McKenzie is no longer on the roster. 4th rounder G R.Ohrnberg doesn't ever play.

2010 draft - this is too early to really judge but let's do it anyways - D.McCourty has looked good, 2nd rounders R.Gronkowski looks real good while J.Cunningham hasn't done anything and B.Spikes starts but I really don't think he's any good, 3rd rounder T.Price has done nothing, 4th rounder A.Hernadez looks real good

So obviousily I look at 2010 as a pretty darn good draft so far but 2008 and 2009 are flops overall. In 2008 they selected J.Mayo at #10 which backs up my arguement about selecting the best talent instead of trading back. out of the next 4 picks in 2-4 they got 1 limited role player and the 3 others aren't even on the roster! In 2009 P.Chung is a real good pick but C.Mathews was a bigger need for a 34 defense and turned out to be a great player in this league. Then out of the 5 picks they had in rounds 2-4 none of them see the field much and add very little if any help to the team.

I look at this as pretty bad drafting for a team that is suppose to be a great drafting team. Certainly only my opinion but selecting a QB in the 6th round that turns out to be a future HOF'er covers up a lot of bad drafting!

Back
Top Bottom