Best Case For Austin I've Read. lol | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Case For Austin I've Read. lol

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Why Austin? Because of the sheer pressure that we would put on any defense in the league and more importantly, the NFL League Office demands it.
That's right, the LEAGUE itself demands it!

Never before have the rules tilted the playing field so far in favor of the Offense as it does today. Breathe on a wide out...5 yards! Look nasty in their direction...5 more!

The governing body wants scoring, wants action, wants fans spending gajillions on T-shirts and Jerseys and Hats and Sweatshirts and Tickets and DIRECTV! They want ratings and our complete obsession with everything NFL.

How best do they achieve this? Well since you asked, with scoring and tons of it. I am talking Dump Truck loads heading down the Florida Turnpike, right past the landfill and straight into the Sun Life Stadium parking lot.

Beep. Beep. Beep..."Come on back. That's good right there. Ok, dump it in the end zone!!"

That's exactly what would happen with Wallace, Hartline, Keller and Austin lined up outside of Tannehill. It would be too much speed to contend with and too bad for those trying to contend with it. Scoring, scoring and more scoring. You would think Wilt Chamberlain was out on a date.

The league would give us every game at home and at 1 PM. Yes they would. Yaha. The ratings would dictate it! We would have our own Channel similiar to the YES Network or the NFL Network. DolphsTV on channels 2, 3, 4, 7-29, 32-99 and All HD channels. HBO would go off the air. They couldn't get a channel in any cable lineups!

http://dolphinblog.bitchindave.com/2013/04/if-i-were-jeff-ireland-with-12th-pick.html

Actually the BEST case for Tavon Austin is the simple fact that the fanbase would be giddy about picking him.

There's a briefcase on the table in front of you that contains $200 million. A mere two weeks after the draft, whether you get that $200 million will be decided by a simple popularity contest. You've got plenty of "fans" out there. You could win. All you need to ensure that is get them to SHOW UP.

What do you do?

Actually the BEST case for Tavon Austin is the simple fact that the fanbase would be giddy about picking him.

There's a briefcase on the table in front of you that contains $200 million. A mere two weeks after the draft, whether you get that $200 million will be decided by a simple popularity contest. You've got plenty of "fans" out there. You could win. All you need to ensure that is get them to SHOW UP.

What do you do?

lol. Yeah, your case is simple and straight to the point. What do you do you ask.? DRAFT AUSTIN..

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't really expecting this stadium stuff to interfere with the Draft at all. I didn't think it would necessarily come down to a referendum happening right after the Draft. So I thought there's no chance in hell they go for Tavon Austin at 12.

But now...I'm sorry but it IS going to factor into things. At the very least if Jeff Ireland comes to Steve Ross' office saying his plan is to draft Jon Cooper or Chance Warmack, I think Ross will veto that ON THE SPOT. Sight-unseen, without even asking why it makes more sense over the other options from a football standpoint.

For two weeks after the Draft the Dolphins need to amplify the wave of fan sentiment that normally comes after the Draft. They need make it as severe and as violent a wave of positive energy as they can. Draft parties. Television specials. Sick highlight videos on every computer screen. Miami Dol-Fans need to be convinced they ALREADY WON the god damn Super Bowl, sort of like Heat fans pretty much thought they'd already won multiple NBA Championships after "The Decision".

I wasn't really expecting this stadium stuff to interfere with the Draft at all. I didn't think it would necessarily come down to a referendum happening right after the Draft. So I thought there's no chance in hell they go for Tavon Austin at 12.

But now...I'm sorry but it IS going to factor into things. At the very least if Jeff Ireland comes to Steve Ross' office saying his plan is to draft Jon Cooper or Chance Warmack, I think Ross will veto that ON THE SPOT. Sight-unseen, without even asking why it makes more sense over the other options from a football standpoint.

For two weeks after the Draft the Dolphins need to amplify the wave of fan sentiment that normally comes after the Draft. They need make it as severe and as violent a wave of positive energy as they can. Draft parties. Television specials. Sick highlight videos on every computer screen. Miami Dol-Fans need to be convinced they ALREADY WON the god damn Super Bowl, sort of like Heat fans pretty much thought they'd already won multiple NBA Championships after "The Decision".

Reading your last two post, I felt as if I just read the script of a action movie featuring the ROCK. lol.

Patterson is apparently slipping. Concerns with his intelligence and ability to diagnose.

I'd be stunned that if 1) he fell to #42 and 2) Miami didn't go WR/TE in the 1st, he didn't go to Miami with pick #42

In all seriousness, if the Phins' brass allows a referendum to interfere with any draft plans, things are worse in the FO and owners box than I thought.

The theory makes some sense, but I believe the Phins will try to make the positive energy no matter who they pick and not have it play into the decision at all.

In all seriousness, if the Phins' brass allows a referendum to interfere with any draft plans, things are worse in the FO and owners box than I thought.

The theory makes some sense, but I believe the Phins will try to make the positive energy no matter who they pick and not have it play into the decision at all.

If we weren't talking about $200 million I'd agree. But this isn't some vague bull **** about best business practices or "the key to long term success". This is two hundred ****ing million dollars sitting on a table for you if you can win a popularity contest.

Cocaine and hookers for all!

Oh, it's important as hell, I agree, but I think the Phins will believe they can spin the draft as a whole to the fan base.

A bunch of ads with Tanny throwing the ball and shots of Wallace scoring TD's can't hurt.

if Jeff Ireland comes to Steve Ross' office saying his plan is to draft Jon Cooper or Chance Warmack, I think Ross will veto that ON THE SPOT.

Ross would never do that and you know it.

man ross is a damn billionaire. he could easily foot the bill for the stadium upgrades. so we only draft austin cause it helps in the stadium upgrade vote? man you have to be kidding me. i would love to draft austin cause he adds a speed element to this offense thats been missing since the 80"s. i guess if we trade up for an ot that stadium vote is gonna fail miserably..... ridiculous!

Let's be honest....the Phin's offense has been flat out boring since Marino retired. Like watching paint dry. Other than Ricky Williams having a couple big seasons and seeing Ronnie Brown in the Wildcat, there has been little to get excited about. I think we have averaged around 16-18 points a game the past decade while the Patriots have averaged probably double that. We have to get playmakers to put points on the board and be able to compete with the top teams. Tavon Austin would also put fans in the seats, along with Mike Wallace. I say lets roll the dice.

If anything, in forthcoming years the rules will be slanted even more in favor of guys like Austin, and the passing game in general.

I suspect the referendum will pass, even if we draft a towel boy in the first round. A specialized election like that is decided by which side has the passion and money. That will be the supporters. The Dolphins no doubt will launch a media blitz in the final weeks, one that will be largely unopposed. It's a completely different situational landscape than a referendum thrown into a high turnout general election, in which case it would have no chance.

This is like Ned Lamont defeating Joe Lieberman in the primary then being thumped by Lieberman in November, when everyone had a say.

However, ck's point is good in that the Dolphins may handicap the situation as if they need a boost coming out of the draft. What's the joke about the gorilla who hit a driver to within 5 feet on a par 5? His second shot was another driver, traveling 500 yards. This Dolphin brass is capable of being so petrified they'll overplay anything.

Back
Top Bottom