Best Defensive Coordinators of All-Time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Defensive Coordinators of All-Time

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With the passing of Buddy Ryan, I got to thinking about the best defensive coordinators of all-time. Buddy's 1985 Bears defense was probably the best single season performance ever. He deserves to be somewhere on the list, but is he #1?

Here are some that immediately come to mind (in no order):

Bill Belichick -- in discussion for top coach and defensive coordinator of all-time.
Bill Arnsbarger --- Had one of top defenses in Miami and also helped San Diego to its first super bowl in 1994.
Marv Levy -- Redskins defensive coordinator for George Allen.
Buddy Ryan -- '85 Bears were amazing on defense.
Chuck Noll --- Shulas DC with Colts.
Mike Nolan --- Had a lot of good defensive clubs.
Dave Wannestedt --- Lots of success on that side of the ball.
Dick LeBeau -- Coached for like 100 years.
Pete Carroll -- Love him or hate him he knows D.
Rex Ryan --- Great success with Baltimore
Dan Quinn --- Seattle's DC and spent some time in Miami.
Todd Bowles --- Loved him in Miami.
Jerry Glanville -- Some say '77 Falcons was best defense ever. Creative coach on both sides of ball.

I know I'm forgetting a ton of people, but thought it would be the start to a good conversation. Whose your top 10?

Wade Phillips deserves to be on the list IMO.

I'm trying to think of the guy that was the defensive coordinator for the bucs for a while then hopped around recently.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Monte kiffin

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Jimmie Johnson of the Eagles under Andy Reid. That aggressive pass rush D scheme was great

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Kiffin is underrated. But he is better than his son Lane! To say the least.

Bud Carson was the coordinator of those 70s Steeler defenses. That's where guys like Tony Dungy learned what we now call the "Tampa" 2. In those days it was 215lb Jack Lambert dropping into the middle zone.
Tom Landry invented the 4-3 defense while defensive coordinator of the Giants. Their offensive coordinator was some guy named Lombardi. The Giants were a good team. :lol:
George Seifert was the defensive coordinator for those terrific mid to late 1980s 49er teams, but his reputation was as a hands off guy.
Marvin Lewis was the original architect of those incredible Ravens defenses.

Before Bowles or Quinn (in addition to Wade Phillips that someone mentioned), I would say Dom Capers has done a great job as a DC. Even Jim Bates has accomplished more than Bowles or Quinn, who have only had short term success with talented teams. Others...

Marty Shottenheimer, Vic Fangio, Marvin Lewis, Jeff Fisher, Jim Johnson, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcels, George Halas, Chuck Knoll...

Back
Top Bottom