Best Dolphin Teams that Didn't Reach the Super Bowl | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Dolphin Teams that Didn't Reach the Super Bowl

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Here's my short-list. Can't wait for training camp.

1. 1974 11-3
Lost to Oakland in the infamous Sea of Hands game. Miami would have played Pittsburgh at home in the Orange Bowl for the AFC title.

2. 1985 12-4
Miami was the best team in the AFC IMO. Lost to NE in AFC Championship in a stinker of a game.

3. 1983 12-4
This team gets forgotten a little bit. Lost to Seahawks in a close divisional playoff. Had the talent to get to the super bowl.

4. 1990 12-4
Won wildcard, but lost to Bills in next round.

5. 1992 11-5
Shutout the Chargers to open the playoffs, but couldn't get past Buffalo.

6. 1994 10-6
Miami won in the wildcard round, but couldn't hold onto a big lead against San Diego in the divisional round. I remember thinking this was Marino's last chance. Sad way to end the season in a game that should have been won.

Good list...crazy we were a wildcard in 1990 with a 12-4 record.

Man, that list is good.
The 1992 team started 6-0 but finished the season 5-5 with a stagnating offense. I remember thinking we would beat Buffalo to get to the Super Bowl but they destroyed us. That team may not have been as good as perceived.
Had the 2002 team not suffered brutal injuries during the season(Fiedler replaced by Lucas, Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden missed key time) maybe, just maybe...I'd like to mention that team as well. That defense and Ricky's running would have been an interesting matchup vs Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl that year.

I was 8 years old when I cried my eyes out after the "sea of hands game". Miami got so screwed the whole game plus that miracle game winning td pass by Stabler. Ugh. That team clearly had the best chance to win a Super Bowl out of all the teams on that list. I don't think that '85 team could have beaten the Bears again if they would have made it to the Super Bowl. I was at the '92 playoff shutout of San Diego. That was fun.

Unfortunately, the Dolphins just didn't match-up with Buffalo during that time period.

Did a little research and here's a brutal stat...the Dolphins lost 15 of 18 games against the Bills from 1987 thru 1994

Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

I was 8 years old when I cried my eyes out after the "sea of hands game". Miami got so screwed the whole game plus that miracle game winning td pass by Stabler. Ugh. That team clearly had the best chance to win a Super Bowl out of all the teams on that list. I don't think that '85 team could have beaten the Bears again if they would have made it to the Super Bowl. I was at the '92 playoff shutout of San Diego. That was fun.

I was 9 and embarrassed to admit I cried as well. That was such an emotional game. One of the greatest ever played. Re-watching it always brings back those emotions, from the non-call on the Warfield pass interference play, to almost sacking Stabler, scoring too fast. I always felt like the Dolphins were robbed, like the football Gods evened the score for the Raiders losing the "Immaculate Reception" game against Pittsburgh. Two miracle wins one for and one against.

I agree that was the team with the best chance to go the distance. Miami versus Pittsburgh at the Orange Bowl for the AFC title could have been special. Feel confident the Dolphins would have beaten Minnesota in a super bowl rematch.

Did a little research and here's a brutal stat...the Dolphins lost 15 of 18 games against the Bills from 1987 thru 1994

Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif
Yikes. I knew it was bad. Buffalo definitely had Miami's number much like the Dolphins had the Bills number in the 70's (20 straight wins I believe). I remember for a short time when Miami got Keith Jackson it looked like the Dolphins had bridged the gap.

Anyone think the 1983 team could have gone far? That team was one year removed from a super bowl appearance and still had the Killer Bees on defense, plus a "pretty good" rookie quarterback.

The loss to Seattle in the first round was unexpected.

Man, that list is good.
Had the 2002 team not suffered brutal injuries during the season(Fiedler replaced by Lucas, Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden missed key time) maybe, just maybe...I'd like to mention that team as well. That defense and Ricky's running would have been an interesting matchup vs Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl that year.

If we made it to that superbowl there is a 99% chance we score 0 pts in that game. I mean, our defense was solid, but we lose that game 13-0 or 16-3 or something, wouldn't have been that close.

Yikes. I knew it was bad. Buffalo definitely had Miami's number much like the Dolphins had the Bills number in the 70's (20 straight wins I believe). I remember for a short time when Miami got Keith Jackson it looked like the Dolphins had bridged the gap.

The Bills were busy drafting Hall of Famers in the 80's while the Dolphins were busy drafting Eric Kumerow, Jackie Shipp, Sammie Smith, etc....

Anyone think the 1983 team could have gone far? That team was one year removed from a super bowl appearance and still had the Killer Bees on defense, plus a "pretty good" rookie quarterback.

The loss to Seattle in the first round was unexpected.
This team - aside from the '74 team - IMO - was the best of all of them. As you say, one year removed from going to the SB and still had a very good D. In fact it was the D that kept them alive at .500 early in the year when the offense was struggling behind Woolley. Enter Marino and suddenly this ground and pound team was flicking long TDs all over the field. They still had Andra Franklin to pound the rock and Nathan and Bennett each had decent season in the RB by committee system. That Seattle game was a tragedy - done in by weather and a muddy field that I believe were factors in Fulton Walker's back to back KO return fumbles that did us in. The Raiders were good that year - obviously. Don't know if we would have beaten them but I believe the '83 team was the most balanced - D, run and pass - team of the bunch outside of the '74 one.

This team - aside from the '74 team - IMO - was the best of all of them. As you say, one year removed from going to the SB and still had a very good D. In fact it was the D that kept them alive at .500 early in the year when the offense was struggling behind Woolley. Enter Marino and suddenly this ground and pound team was flicking long TDs all over the field. They still had Andra Franklin to pound the rock and Nathan and Bennett each had decent season in the RB by committee system. That Seattle game was a tragedy - done in by weather and a muddy field that I believe were factors in Fulton Walker's back to back KO return fumbles that did us in. The Raiders were good that year - obviously. Don't know if we would have beaten them but I believe the '83 team was the most balanced - D, run and pass - team of the bunch outside of the '74 one.

Honestly, I don't remember much about that 1983 playoff game. I do remember thinking that Miami and Oakland would meet for the AFC title. Maybe the Dolphins felt the same way and overlooked Seattle a bit.

That was a talented team that certainly could have won it. Most of those 1990's teams likely wouldn't have won a title if they advanced to the super bowl. I don't think the 1994 team would have had much of a chance against the 49ers as an example. But, the 1983 team could have challenged the Redskins and won a title.

Back
Top Bottom