Best Realistic Deal we can make for #1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by dskilz3, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dskilz3

dskilz3 Member

Yeah, first post. Just as the title says I'm just wondering what is the best realistic deal Miami might have a chance of making for the #1 pick?

2. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

most realistic would probably be with Cincy cause they need defensive linemen/good character guys. Dorsey and Long are both good character so maybe they'd trade up. KC also might be tempted to trade up in order to get Jake Long, but not so sure on that.

3. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

Welcome, first of all...Hope this site provides you with hours of entertainment, like it has for me, daily...
    I guess, from my point of view, trade down , but to remain in the top 5 (Oakland falls in love with DMC?), get either one of the Longs, Dorsey, or Gholston, and still pick up a few extra picks for this year and the next, considering the numerous needs we have.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

The most realistic is...well, probably none.

5. defensivefan

defensivefan Scout Team

I think certainly none. Moving up costs picks and a huge amount of money/salary cap. But I suppose we'll hear a lot about it from the media, as it is something to talk about....

6. JAKEIII

JAKEIII GoFishGo

I like the Dallas deal, 2 firsts and a second this year plus there 1st and 3rd next! We need players not a star. IMO

7. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

Here's a somewhat realistic scenario:

Miami trades the #1 overall pick to Atlanta.

Atlanta sends Miami the #3 overall pick, #35 overall pick, and DeAngelo Hall.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

8. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

I don't see enough value in a Dallas trade. The #22, #29 & #61, plus next years picks does not equal the #1 overall pick in the draft

9. DOC33

DOC33 Scout Team

Players almost certainly are going to have to be involved in a trade for number 1. The draft value chart makes it almost impossible to trade that pick for the value that it dictates in picks coming back. Therefore if players are invloved it is easier to fudge the value so that the GM's involved dont get killed by the press, fans etc.

10. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

Good point. That's why I think my Atlanta trade makes sense. Unless Hall is deemed a "bad-character" guy by Parcells.

11. like2god

like2god I LOVE FinHeaven

We have to hope that a team REALLY falls in love with Dorsey or McFadden, otherwise I don't see it happening. Dallas has no use for McFadden, they have a very capable and talented #1 RB already in Barber, so count them out.

12. JAKEIII

JAKEIII GoFishGo

Dorsey versus 5 top players, what will make us better????

13. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

As the signing bonus continues to skyrocket for the #1 overall pick while the chance of a bust remains about the same... I think you will find more and more teams willing to take less than the trade value chart's recommendations. We may be the first ones to do it, and get ridiculed for it in the process, but watch everyone that comes after us do the same thing.

14. like2god

like2god I LOVE FinHeaven

He most certainly will be IMO.

15. MoFinz

MoFinz Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

I make that deal in a heartbeat. It seems nobody wants to trade up for #1 in this years draft:up:

16. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

The trade value chart is merely a guide, and is certainly not the bible. However, it was devised by JJ over 10 years ago.

Finch makes an excellent point: with the skyrocketing signing bonuses these #1 overalls get, there is certainly a downside to earning the #1 overall slot. So, maybe the #1 overall pick is not as valuable as it once was. (Forgive me if that was not your point)

Still, I'd rather have the #1 overall pick than #22, #29, and #61, and some picks in 2009. But that's just me. There are no sure things, but Dorsey and Long are guys that offenses will have to scheme against. Not sure if a dude at #29 will have that kind of impact.

17. csabe

csabe Pro Bowler

We need a lot of help so 5 picks would be great but don't think anyone is gonna trade up to #1. We may be stuck there as if that is a bad thing...:lol:

18. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

I don't see us moving out of the #1 spot there are no Mike Vick types coming out this year. There isn't enough talent drop off from what you could get from #1 to #2. I'm thinking Long and Dorsey are going to grade out as pretty much equal by most teams.

19. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 FinHeaven VIP

The talent isnt there. There's a ton of people who would be number 3 to 10 picks overall in years past but none that you're going to mortgage your future to get. If any trade downs happen it will be with a St Louis or later drafting team. I think we're out of consideration. The cost is too high

20. Zanno

Zanno FinHeaven VIP

I agree with carrothead I think number 32 will be much more likely to be traded to pick up a lower 2 and a 3

21. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

Our biggest chance will come at the beginning of Day 2, with our 3rd round pick... lots and lots of talent will be available and the price to pay (cap and draft picks) will not be as high for other teams than it would be for the 1st overrall... I'll bet 5$ with anyone that this pick is going to be traded

22. swampfox

swampfox Well-Known Member

The question isn't if you would pull the deal , the question is if you were Jerry Jones would you basically trade your entire draft to move up to the one spot. And thats still not getting any where near the chart trade value.

It takes two to Tango and Jerry Jones isn't an idiot. That deal doesn't ever happen.

23. Pocoloco

Pocoloco I'm your huckleberry

most realistic trade is from #32 on back, not #1

24. Frayser

Frayser Well-Known Member

This is something I have been saying for the past several years. Think about how badly it will hurt the Raiders if Jemarcus Russell turns out to be a bust. Until the NFL does something about rookie salaries, teams need to scrap the trade value chart. It might as well have been written during the era of the dinosaurs at this point.

25. Zanno

Zanno FinHeaven VIP

sorry it's parrothead not carrothead I was thinking of carrot top

26. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

I do believe we can trade with Dallas (2 -1st's & a 3rd may be B.Carpenter), Oakland depending where they land with the coin flip (1st and 2nd maybe 2009 pick aswell)
    We need to look at it as saving money and adding extra players. My own dreamed up trade would be Det 1st R.Williams, S.Rogers and a 4/5th (equals 3 starters in areas of need)

27. newlownorder

newlownorder Hoof Hearted

IMO the only way we get out of #1 overall is if a team falls in love with McFadden and is worried another team will try and make a trade with the Rams. Raiders, Falcons are 2 teams who could trade if they love McFadden but I dont think they trade with us anyways. The pick will be either Dorsey or Long DE

28. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

i think we could make a deal with dallas by giving them our #1 for there 2 #1s and a 2nd or 3rd

29. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

NO SOUP FOR YOU......LOL

30. General Tso

General Tso Seasoned Veteran

You think this because you're a Miami Dolphins fan. Take your aqua and orange glasses off and you'll see clearly how that trade makes zero sense for the Dallas Cowboys.

31. PublixSubsRule

PublixSubsRule Well-Known Member

I have heard this Dallas trade rumor a lot. I am not sure if getting Ireland and Parcells increase or decrease the chances of this happening though.

Personally, If we do trade with Dallas it would more likely be thier two 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder this year, then a 1st rounder next year. Or thier two 1st this year their 2nd this year and a player (Bobby Carpenter???).

32. General Tso

The chances of this trade happening was zero before Bill and Jeff got here and remains zero today. This draft is full of stud RBs and Dallas already has one. I don't care how much Jones loves Arkansas, he's not a moron and he could probably get Felix Jones if he's intent on drafting a hogs RB.

33. #1dolphinsfan

im not saying it just because i am a dolphins fan i am saying it because it COULD happen im not saying its going to happen we could just even trade our #1 for there 2 #1s

34. General Tso

Please explain how that makes sense for Dallas. That's the part I'd love to hear.

35. #1dolphinsfan

what do u want me to tell u we get 2 later first round picks and they get the #1 pick in the draft if they decide not to franchise Barber and he goes some where else and Jones goes some where else they can pick up McFadden

36. General Tso

If Barber's a RFA (I know he's not a UFA), it's unlikely he'll leave w/o Dallas getting another 1st rounder in return. I don't see Dallas giving up a first round pick, letting a young, pro bowl RB go elsewhere and paying 50+ million for McFadden, when RB is not an issue for them at all and there's plenty of good RBs in this draft that will be there for them in the late first if they're interested. It just doesn't make sense...

37. #1dolphinsfan

im just saying if they see someone they like they can turn to us for that trade because we have alot of dallas coachs that would probly do that trade to help dallas and to help us

38. swampfox

swampfox Well-Known Member

I find it amazing how many people think Jerry Jones has absolutely no common sense. He didn't get to were he is in the business world today by being an idiot. Just for fun why don't we all ask a dallas fan (plenty out there and we all know one) how they would feel about giving up their draft to get McFadden.

I think his name is Jerry Jones and not Ditka. lol

39. C-HUCKS

C-HUCKS Starter

I would even do this deal if Hall was not included. We still get one of the Long's or Dorsey and still pick up a high 2nd rounder in the process!

40. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I think trading down makes the most sense, but wanting to do this, and actually finding someone who is willing to give you something fair in return are two different things. I would just spread a lot of rumors the night before the draft that we have potential deals with McFadden and some others, so that some other teams might be tempted to deal with us.