biggest difference between the qbs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

biggest difference between the qbs

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
The big difference is moore was throwing people open. His anticipation on his throws is just better than cutler, and it makes the world of difference. Jay is waiting for the wr's to get open before he throws, not to mention throwing off his back foot. Moore moves in and out of the pocket and gets his feet right. their feet makes all the difference in the world. Not saying moore is going to light it up, but just the difference in the style and anticipation helps out so much.

To me the biggest difference is that one is human and the other is an anthropomorphic sloth...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Cutler doesnt do any favors for his receivers. He's requiring them to make tougher catches resulting in more drops. I also think the team as a whole wants Moore back there and by a large margin

It's pretty clear that Jay Cutler is a gunslinger type of QB that has become way too gun shy to play the game. Which makes him much less effective as a player, and probably not what Gase envisioned when we got him.

On the other hand, Matt Moore is not afraid to stand tall in the pocket and take hits. He's not afraid to wait it out and let his receivers get open. And that is the biggest difference between the two.

With Cutler, you see a guy that is terrified of contact (and with good reason, playing behind shitty OLs every year must suck). So he rushes his throws, or he escapes the pocket too early, or he throws horrible balls off his back foot that end up being incomplete or picked off.

Unless our pass protection gets 1000x better, or Gase is able to correct those mistakes from him, Cutler won't succeed in this offense. IMO.

Last edited:
Moore brings a fireball of energy into the huddle. You can see it instantly. No secret the players love him, and it does make a big difference. I saw it yesterday. I also don't think he plays favorites with targets; if there's a chance, he will sling it.... For better or for worse.

I want to see what he does with Parker back in the line up......although I wouldn't bet on it.

The difference is Matt Moore is a career backup QB who has nothing to lose by taking shots downfield. He can only gain recognition and confidence from his teammates. If he gets hit, oh well. If he gets hurt, he will get healthy and return to his back-up duties. Jay Cutler is playing for money. He doesn't want to get hit and tries to avoid that by getting rid of the ball early. Next year, he'll go back to the announcing gig he was supposed to have this year, with $10M more in his bank account.

Cutler led his teams to 30 point games 2 times in his last 40 tries.
Moore does it about every other time he starts.

NJPhinsfan is mostly right. Matt Moore does indeed play like he has nothing to lose, which is what I really like about him as a backup QB.

I hesitate to say that Jay Cutler is playing cowardly football or anything like that, but throughout his career it has been his habit to protect his body when he throws the football in a crowd, and he certainly hasn't changed that overnight.

Whether it's age or the shoulder injury he suffered last season, his ability to deliver the football off of a bad platform has diminished, and the result is... what we saw.

Biggest difference is Cutler isn't willing to put his body in the line of fire anymore. He's looking to survive, not compete.

Wow that is a telling stat - surely not all his fault but over a sample size that large there's obviously something to it. Lines up with what we have seen here so far vs last year's offense.

I'm not buying that. He only started 4 games since 2011 two of those were 30+. Not going to dig out defense or kick return td's. And if it were true, why aren't teams throwing loads of cash at Moore for that awesome production?

Starts where team scored 30+
2007 1 out of 3
2009 1 out of 5
2010 0 out of 5
2011 4 out of 12
2016 2 out of 4

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01/gamelog/2016/

I would also include leadership. Once he got on the field sure seemed like the other's players energy and effort went way up.

And mindset. Saw an interview with Shula regarding Marino and he talked about changing the system to fit the players and with Marino it was "attack." Moore certainly isn't in Marino's class as a player but he has that same mindset of attack. If I recall correctly Cutler's air yards per pass was somewhere around 5.6 yards. Not sure what Moore's was yesterday, but it was a hell of a lot more than that. Nice to see a Dolphin QB throw the football beyond 1st down markers. Haven't had that in a while.

I'm not buying that. He only started 4 games since 2011 two of those were 30+. Not going to dig out defense or kick return td's. And if it were true, why aren't teams throwing loads of cash at Moore for that awesome production?

Starts where team scored 30+
2007 1 out of 3
2009 1 out of 5
2010 0 out of 5
2011 4 out of 12
2016 2 out of 4

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01/gamelog/2016/

He has led team to 30+ points in 6 out of last 12 starts (13 if counting playoff game) and 17 points in relief duty yesterday in less than half of play may not be exact but damn near.

Miami also put up 30 on Jets in one of his relief appearances when Miami only had 3 when he entered the game.

He's also gone 8-4 (8-5 counting playoff game) in those games with an additional 3 saves for other QBs credited with the win since they started the game while accumulating two GWDs.

Fiedler, Pennington and Moore are the only QBs since Marino to be more likely to win rather than lose a game.

Moore isn't great. He is a whole lot better than what we've had for quite a while. Life is better when the Dolphins win games!

Last edited:
He has led team to 30+ points in 6 out of last 12 starts (13 if counting playoff game) and 17 points in relief duty yesterday in less than half of play may not be exact but damn near.

He's also gone 8-4 (8-5 counting playoff game) in those games with an additional 3 saves for other QBs credited with the win since they started the game while accumulating two GWDs.

Fiedler, Pennington and Moore are the only QBs since Marino to be more likely to win rather than lose a game.

Moore isn't great. He is a whole lot better than what we've had for quite a while. Life is better when the Dolphins win games!
Why not count all the stats for games started in 2011? Again if you believe the win totals and offensive production are credited to Moore, why aren't teams lined up for that success, seems like a no brainer to sign someone with such a polished career?

Back
Top Bottom