Bill Parcells | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Parcells

Ummmm it WAS a great turn around. No other way to look at it really. It's considered the greatest franchise turn around in NFL history. From 1 win to 11 wins in ONE season. Folks here are ungrateful. Get over it guys.

great turnaround then two back to back 7-9 seasons yay

I'm so sick of all the whining about Bill Parcells. He took a franchise that had no leadership, no direction, and a huge void in talent and provided stability, and direction, and built a fairly talented roster. His failure to find a franchise quarterback is a major blemish, but overall, I am grateful for the work he did in Miami. He didn't hit on all of his draft picks, but no one does. I think he has built the team into a solid, tough, young team that is on the right track. If the Dolphins can somehow find their franchise quarterback, you would be surprised how much better the talent Parcells assembled on this team looks.

Its kinda hard not to improve from 1-15. He did little IMO and the team is as consistent at winning at the rest of the decade

So Parcells is supposed to get tons of credit for a single winning season, combined with an absolute thumping at home in the first round of the playoffs? Fine, but then he should also get tons of "credit" for his role in the subsequent two consecutive losing seasons (something that hadn't happened in Miami since the 1960s), to say nothing of this year's impending debacle.

I'm just angry he left the project unfinished. He bailed when he thought the ship was sinking. It was a ***** move to try and protect his reputation. Instead of staying and attacking the problem, he ditched all his friends and essentially said good luck.

I have no problem with the roster he built, my problem is with him going out the way he did. Lost a lot of resYou nailewd pect for him.
You nailed it :up: Couldn't have said it better.

Its kinda hard not to improve from 1-15. He did little IMO and the team is as consistent at winning at the rest of the decade

Of course you had nowhere to go but up but going from 1 win to 11 wins and a div title is better than just improving.

So Parcells is supposed to get tons of credit for a single winning season, combined with an absolute thumping at home in the first round of the playoffs? Fine, but then he should also get tons of "credit" for his role in the subsequent two consecutive losing seasons (something that hadn't happened in Miami since the 1960s), to say nothing of this year's impending debacle.

You had 2 consectuive losing seasons the previous 2 years before BP got there where you won a total of 7 games in those 2 years.

This franchise was so inept by 2008 it wasn't even funny, the total mismanagement of drafts, free agent signings and talent retention was so great that it made Tampa Bay in the 80's look good. Every one who took the reins has some other vision of what was to come and how to make it transpire and it took what little talent that was on the roster and squandered it to the point that nothing at all was accomplished to move the health of the franchise forward. It seemed like every season for a decade the team was being rebuilt to fit someones model of NFL success.

Can you imagine how frustrated the Thomas and Taylor must have been after 5 or 6 years of that ****, I am sure by the time Parcels took over Taylor was at wits end and it lead to the whole debacle between the front office and himself. Thomas was lucky enough not to have to suffer trough one more iteration of transition and was forced to bow out gracefully, he ended up being the lucky one.

Leadership sometimes isn't a popularity contest and there needs to be hard tough decision made, Parcels and Co. did exactly that when they took office and yes I have mother ****ed Parcels at times with some of the decisions that he made but overall this franchise is in completely better heath then it was before he took it over. Yes they need a franchise QB but unfortunately it is the hardest and most risky position to fill in the NFL but they still tried to fill it and build the health of the rest of the team at the same time. It is called mitigation of risk for the long term health of an objective and from time to time you have to sacrifice to reach your objective and Parcels uses this principle.

If this team had a good young QB in the fold right now 99% of the board would be saying - "Praise be to Bill, long live Bill!"

You had 2 consectuive losing seasons the previous 2 years before BP got there where you won a total of 7 games in those 2 years.
You're right. I forgot about Saban's losing season. Still doesn't change the fact that all Parcells has to show for his "great" job in Miami is one winning season, one playoff thumping, and two losing seasons with a good chance of yet another one this year. Still no QB, no answers on offense, tons of holes that still need to be filled, and a head coach whose skills are questionable at best.

If this team had a good young QB in the fold right now 99% of the board would be saying - "Praise be to Bill, long live Bill!"
And? If Sparano had led the team to the Super Bowl and won it, 99% of the board would be clamoring to build him a statue. But, in the real world, that didn't happen. Of course, the force of your argument is completely undercut by the fact that the reason we don't have a good young QB in the fold right now is because Parcells and his lackeys weren't able to find one (worse yet, they passed one up).

And? If Sparano had led the team to the Super Bowl and won it, 99% of the board would be clamoring to build him a statue. But, in the real world, that didn't happen. Of course, the force of your argument is completely undercut by the fact that the reason we don't have a good young QB in the fold right now is because Parcells and his lackeys weren't able to find one (worse yet, they passed one up).

Hindsight, if I had the ability to turn it into foresight I would be a ****ing rich man right now! You are looking at the past as if we know what should happen in the future.

Parcels is only human he did pass on Ryan for Long but Miami had so many needs at the time he used that money to fill how many other holes?

Would Dansby, Marshal, Bell, Davis, Bess, and a host of other young upside stars be in the mix right now? Who knows what effect that would have had on the franchise, we could have been the Arizona of the east - great passing game but severely lacking on Defense. It's a "what if" scenario that will never be answered so take what positives you have, learn from your negatives and move the franchise forward.

Bitching and complaining about the past doesn't change one thing, it just makes you miss out on the present.

You're right. I forgot about Saban's losing season. Still doesn't change the fact that all Parcells has to show for his "great" job in Miami is one winning season, one playoff thumping, and two losing seasons with a good chance of yet another one this year. Still no QB, no answers on offense, tons of holes that still need to be filled, and a head coach whose skills are questionable at best.

One playoff year w/ a div title is really the only positive thing Miami has done in a decade so it may not have been much but it was something.

Hindsight, if I had the ability to turn it into foresight I would be a ****ing rich man right now! You are looking at the past as if we know what should happen in the future.

Parcels is only human he did pass on Ryan for Long but Miami had so many needs at the time he used that money to fill how many other holes?

Would Dansby, Marshal, Bell, Davis, Bess, and a host of other young upside stars be in the mix right now? Who knows what effect that would have had on the franchise, we could have been the Arizona of the east - great passing game but severely lacking on Defense. It's a "what if" scenario that will never be answered so take what positives you have, learn from your negatives and move the franchise forward.

Bitching and complaining about the past doesn't change one thing, it just makes you miss out on the present.
How the hell else are we supposed to evaluate the job Parcells did without acknowledging his mistakes, some rather huge? You just want to give him a total pass on some things, while showering praise on him for others. Acquiring a franchise QB was indeed one of the tasks which Parcells knew, or should have known, he'd have to accomplish. He passed on Ryan in favor of Henne. It didn't work. Had it worked, then great, he's a hero. But it didn't work, so he's rightly criticized for it.

The team had one good season. Good, not great. Had the team built on that success, gotten better every year, then Parcells would be praised. But that didn't happen. Instead, this team is as mediocre as it's ever been, with a good chance of three losing seasons in a row. So, now we have a supposedly great defense, coupled with an offense that wouldn't scare Coral Gables High. You're right, we're not Arizona East. We're Wanny's Dolphins redux. That era sure ended well, as will this one I'm sure.

How the hell else are we supposed to evaluate the job Parcells did without acknowledging his mistakes, some rather huge? You just want to give him a total pass on some things, while showering praise on him for others. Acquiring a franchise QB was indeed one of the tasks which Parcells knew, or should have known, he'd have to accomplish. He passed on Ryan in favor of Henne. It didn't work. Had it worked, then great, he's a hero. But it didn't work, so he's rightly criticized for it.

The team had one good season. Good, not great. Had the team built on that success, gotten better every year, then Parcells would be praised. But that didn't happen. Instead, this team is as mediocre as it's ever been, with a good chance of three losing seasons in a row. So, now we have a supposedly great defense, coupled with an offense that wouldn't scare Coral Gables High. You're right, we're not Arizona East. We're Wanny's Dolphins redux. That era sure ended well, as will this one I'm sure.
fair enough, but how is it fair that some wanna bash ireland and his body of work isn't even established yet?

Back
Top Bottom