Bill Polian and ESPN suck!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by number1fin, Apr 10, 2012.

1. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40525/bill-polian-advocates-vikings-dolphins-trade

I never liked the Bills of the 90's, and I don't care if the guy was a great GM! And frankly, I don't watch the Disney network! So to **** they can both go!

But what I wanna know is when did this organization begin to allow this type of BS media scrutiny? You literally have an ex.GM fresh out the luxury suites now on board with the mouse trap channel calling out another franchise and for all intents and purposes trying to tell them how to conduct their draft and business. The audacity! This is simply classless and just doesn't sit well with me.

Man, it's time to put our foot down and say screw you! Each individual that is apart, whether it be a financial stake or interest position higher up, professional athlete on payroll, a vendor in the concession stands, or a die-hard fan of this illustrious team, we all as a collective group have to finally stop the **** bleeding. WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS! Be proud and stand up! Shake the haters and remind them who we are... the only team to go undefeated in a single season in NFL history.

Giving up our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to the 3rd overall pick with Minnesota to select Ryan Tannehill is just not worth it. Especially when you consider that it would be a reach to select him 8th overall in the draft in the first place. Listen, I like the kid. He has tremendous potential and upside, but given that it'll at least be 2 years to get him "NFL ready"... the cost outweighs the reward...IMO.

Heck, if we're as terrible as everyone seems to think we'll be this season, we'll fall flat on our faces, go 1-15 (if things go according to "their" plan... you know we're not good in those situations), and we'll end up having the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft in which we would assumably select Matt Barkley from USC.

But I happen to think Matt Moore is better than that. We all are! So here here to a turn around season and a return to greatness for our beloved Miami Dolphins. :brewskis:

2. number1fin

^^^^^^^^^ Don't mind loud mouth up there!

I'm all for picking the quaterback with the 8th pick. Just don't wanna move up.

3. number1fin

Or is it that Jeff Ireland is our GM and is the punching bag of the league? So its ok to call him out?

Am I missing something here because that seems totally unfair to me?

4. AquaInferno

AquaInferno Pro Bowler Donator

What the hell is going on here? :lol:

5. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Yeah, because Polian has done such a great job the last few yrs re-stocking that Colts roster. He is clearly above reproach

6. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Winning will fix all of these issues.

7. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

The Saints GM should be the flavor of the month. And if not him, than the NYJ's GM should be.

People shouldn't listen to the talking heads at ESPN. Most are heavily biased with the East Coast teams (NYG/NYJ/NE).

Extending Sanchita was a great move all the while bringing in Teblow. Not to mention the past few drafts for the Jets have been terrible. As for NO and the fact that GM allowed his franchise QB to reach a upcoming season w/o a deal. Thats some good **** there. But those talking heads have the Phins to make fun of right now. But it really shouldn't be surprising. You have faux fans 'Occupying' Phins HQ and every media person in MIA taking turns on the dump Ireland bandwagon.

8. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well i will agree his latest work inst grand he did build two damn good franchises in Indy and Buffalo which is more than Ireland has done in his last two stops

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Also I dont want us to trade up just saying i dont agree

9. number1fin

He did all that and got 1 superbowl. Not to mention 4 straight superbowl defeats. Horrible!

10. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

The day we see ireland with a SB ring and a track record to match Polian's over the last 20 years, you can say that. Until then, that is very flawed. I will happily take Polian in that matchup any day and twice on Sunday.

Polian>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ireland

11. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You do realize we havent won a superbowl in 4 decades. I guess Peyton manning is a horrible qb because he won only one superbowl.

12. number1fin

Not so fast! We were and are discussing Bill Polian and his franchise building skills. Don't invoke Peyton Manning's name in the discussion. By horrible I mainly was referring to (in proper context if you read my reply over) the Buffalo Bills debacle in the early 90's.

Nice try though!

13. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Peyton only reached one superbowl because Polian surrounded him with complete garbage talent. With Peyton they are in the playoffs. Without they are ****ing the bottom of the league.

If Ireland had Peyton he'd be looked at as a genius GM

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

he built a team that went to 4 superbowls loaded with some hof talent . prob one of best teams ever just couldnt win the big one

15. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Hmm Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Dwight Clark, Robert Mathis,Bob Sanders

Ireland could have Bill Gates feeding him lines and still seem like Swingblade guy. I mean seriously Those players were not garabage in fact thats alot of pro bowls
    Irleand has been in the league awhile and has yet to help any team draft any stud qb.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

its all just talk....it doesnt mean anything or hold any weight.

17. NavinJohnson

NavinJohnson What's happening to my special purpose?

For somebody who doesn't care you sure had alot to say about it

18. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller Scout Team

Remember, the "team" that Polian just built just earned the #1 pick in the draft. And for all those that want to criticize Ireland because he has not built a championship in Miami since he took over as GM in 2010, It took Polian 10 years from when he was hired as GM until they won the Super Bowl.

19. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

polian built the bills, panthers, and colts, so i think he knows a little something about football

20. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

How many superbowls did the Dolphins go to in that time period......

21. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Polian was hired in 1997. 2 years later, the Colts were one of the better teams in the AFC and stayed that way for a decade plus. His Bills and Colts were powerhouses, and the Panthers were very good as well. Ireland's entire track record is 2 rebuilds in 5 years.

22. Kinzua

Kinzua Banned Hammered

The operative word here is "built". Polian also "built" the early Carolina Panthers. The problem is that Polian did not sustain what he built anywhere. That was true in Buffalo, in Carolina, and in Indy. The biggest myth circulating among NFL fans is that Indy won the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes because they lost Peyton Manning. No, they lost so many games because they had a well-past-its-prime talent-deprived team that was utterly dependent upon Peyton Manning disguising its serious problems, including a mediocre coaching staff.

IMO, Peyton or no Peyton, the Colts weren't making the playoffs in 2011, they were that bad. Heck, the Texans made the playoffs with their starting QB only playing 11 games. The Pats went 11-5 in 2008 with Brady out for the season in the first game of the season. It takes a really bad team to put together a 1 or 2 win season!

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The colts were damn good for over a decade same with Bills , I mean can you expect anymore than that out of a GM.

24. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Winning shuts people up. Losers are free game. As it should be.

25. Kinzua

Kinzua Banned Hammered

I'm not denying that. However, Polian has some serious flaws in his team building strategy.
    • He builds great offensive teams but largely neglects defenses. He did that in both Buffalo and Indy, and it cost both of those teams Super Bowl rings. The Bills could get to the SB but couldn't win it because their Ds were just NOT as good as the NFC Ds they faced. With Indy's offensive talent, they could get to the playoffs, but most years their mediocre defenses let them down.
    • Polian's idea of building a great defense is to get a great pass rushing DE (Bruce Smith and Dwight Freeney). He also liked undersized defenders. The Bills DLers and LBers weren't as big or as physical compared to the NFC defenders, and the same has been true of Indy's D for years.
    • Polian is NOT the best evaluator of coaching talent. Tony Dungy was his best hire, Marv Levy was okay, and Tom Caldwell was clearly mediocre.
    • Polian seriously allowed Indy's talent to decline on both sides of the ball. That can stem from numerous causes, including poor cap management, but I suspect that at least some of that stems from Polian's reliance on his son, Chris, who was once considered a rising star among NFL personnel guys. The Polians, father and son, have missed a lot in Indy's recent drafts.

26. number1fin

+1

27. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Polian is overrated imo. His greatest teams were built before the salary cap was in place. Your team was as good as the money you spent. He was GM of the Colts after the salary cap was in place, but he had Peyton Manning to cover up his draft deficiencies. The team had a few stars at key positions, but the rest of the team was filled out with scrubs, which became even more apparent last year.

28. SnakeoilSeller

Facts are facts. Polian took over the Colts in 1997. They won the Super Bowl in 2007. The team that Polian built just fell apart and has the #1 pick in the draft. I never said that Polian was not good or did not know what he was doing. He has a very good track record. He was a GM for over 25 years with the Bills, Panthers and Colts. Total Super Bowls won: 1. And he did that quite possibly with the best QB of all time. Facts are facts.

29. SuperMarksBros.

You're right, facts are facts. 7-9, 7-9, and 6-10 are facts. Lets also not discount Polian's 5 other SB appearances. The guy builds winners. Ireland's teams have gone downhill since that regime took over. The rest of the regime is gone, and here he is trying to fix the mess he helped create.

30. SnakeoilSeller

I see you conveniently forgot the 11-5 season. I am sure it was just a mistake. Ireland took over in 2010, and has not even had 2 drafts where he is responsible. Even so, if you want to say it was 4 years, I disagree, but fine. Then with that logic, Ireland took over a 1-15 team. Since then the Fins have had a record of 31-33. Bill Polian took over a team that went 3-13 . After the Colts hired Polian the Colts records were: 3-13, 13-3, 10-6, 6-10. So Polian went 32-32, one more victory than Ireland over a 4 year period. Which means by most Finheaven members Polian should have been fired by his 4th season or 3 years before he won a Super Bowl.

31. SuperMarksBros.

Ok, I conveniently the 11-5 season just as you conveniently forgot that Ireland has been a part of this regime since day 1. This 11-5 team was a complete mirage, a team that was completely healthy(anomoly), set the single season record for fewest amount of turnovers(anomoly), faced one of the easiest schedules in league history(anomoly), and still barely won an average division, then was badly exposed in the playoffs. Heck, that season was the worst thing that could've happened to these guys, they won and thought they were close...then got super cute with that horrific Pat White pick. Lets also not forget this team was all set to go into that season with Josh McCown before Pennington fell to them from nowhere.

Now, I've acknowledged our wonderful 11-5 banner season. Please dont try to sell me the bill of goods that Jeff Ireland bears no responsibility for the failures of this team before 2010(while also giving him credit for the 11-5 season, also convenient), its just a little too convenient.

Polian has built 3 winners, I'm sure (rational) Colts fans were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the 6-10 season, given his 2 previous playoff seasons, as well as his healthy track record through the years. Should Ireland get the same benefit of the doubt for ONE winning season in which (to use your arguement) he didnt even have final say?

32. p-double

p-double Starter

Players in the NFl just don't like Ireland period. We had to beg people to visit the Dolphins. They can try and spin it all they want too.

33. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Famous last words but I just don't see a need to trade up for Tannehill. Sure, he has some momentum on his side because of his workout and the hype machine now that the Luck/Griffin discussion is old news. But, the game tape doesn't lie. Based on performance, I can't justify a top 5 pick on him, and I don't think Cleveland will reach either.

If Miami gets him at 8, then fine. But I'm not seeing a need to go berserk on a trade up.

34. SnakeoilSeller

Polian was 32-32 in his first 4 years as Colts GM. Ireland is 31-33 in his 4 years of being with the Dolphins in which he did not have final say until September of 2010. You were the one who originally made the argument about how good the Colts were statring in year 2 of the "Polian" regime. 1 game difference. You post lots of reasons why the Fins won as many games as they did ( easy schedule, etc.) but wouldn't the Colts of had the same easy schedule? If you want to compare 4 years vs 4 years, it is 1 more win plain and simple.

35. SnakeoilSeller

Really? Why did Soliai stay? He stayed for less money and was considered by many to be the best nose tackle in free agency? Why did Richard Marshall sign here, the Cardinals wanted to keep him.

That is a lie told by a handful of people with absolutely no proof. The same "experts" that parrot that are the same ones that said Fisher was going to come here and the Fins were the front runner for Manning.

36. SuperMarksBros.

How about 2 winning seasons vs 1 winning season? Polian has had 3 losing seasons as Colts GM in 15 years, Ireland's had 3 losing seasons in 4. I cant believe we're even bothering to compare these two. And Im still baffled at how you choose Polian's first four seasons in Indy, as if those were his 1st 4 years running an NFL team. Lets compare apples to apples.

Polian took over as GM of the Bills, his first stint as GM, before the 1986 season. His records:

1986: 4-12
    1987: 7-8
    1988: 12-4
    1989: 9-7

Ireland took over as GM of the Dolphins, his first stint as GM, before the 2008 season. His records:

2008: 11-5
    2009: 7-9
    2010: 7-9
    2011: 6-10

Are you seeing any trends?

37. Kinzua

Kinzua Banned Hammered

I think the Fins are simply the media's team du jour to dump on. I'm not sure why exactly, except that having a murky QB situation (at least murky to the media nutwits) certainly makes a team an easy target. Usually, that's been the Bills until they signed Fitzpatrick to a starter's contract, at which time the nutwits ran off after easier prey. Apparently, Miami is it.

With the media, it's really NOT about what makes sound football sense, but about what's "sexy". QBs are sexy. LTs, DTs, LBs are NOT sexy.

• If the Fins had landed a 36-year-old QB with a big name and health issues, they would have been "golden", and all the wags would be chirping about them challenging NE for the division.
    • If they had inked Matt Flynn to a fat contract, they would have been "silver" at least. Never mind that Flynn was a seventh round draft pick. Never mind that his NFL experience consists of 2 games playing in one of the very best offenses in meaningless games. He's better than Matt Moore because ... well, he's NOT Matt Moore.
    • To compound their incompetence, the Fins didn't even try for Savior Tebow. Ya coulda had Timmie and his congregation of Tebot stalkers to fill your stadium with praise every home game all for a couple of picks, and Ireland screwed the pooch and let him go to a division rival! What was he thinking???
    • Well, that only leaves one alternative: Ryan Tannehill, WR turned QB from that great QB factory Texas A&M who is the supposed third best prospect in this draft. Just ignore the fact that there are only 2 real QB prospects in this draft, and neither is named Tannehill. Picky, picky. It doesn't matter than Tannehill has small hands, has played only 19 games as a QB, and was unimpressive in big games. Nope. None of that matters. The Fins need this QB, and they need him so badly that they shouldn't waste their #8 pick on him, but rather give up more picks to trade up to #3 to take him because we all know that Mike Holmgren of Cleveland, having supposedly lost out in a bidding war with Washington for Griffin, will snap up Tannehill at #4.
    • If the Fins don't grab Tannehill at any cost, THEY ARE DOOMED to a fate worse than death: drafting a possible impact player at #8 and having Matt Moore as their starting QB in 2012.

//sarcasm off

38. SnakeoilSeller

I see 32 wins compared to 31 wins. Ironically enough, Polian's Colt's team only won 32 games in his first 4 seasons as GM for them as well. It actually seems like you are making my argument for me.

39. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

The only impressive thing Polian has done is draft 2 HOF QBs. Neither one was a hard get, nor were the other stars he acquired like Thurman Thomas or Marvin Harrison. He has managed to take a couple teams with quality QBs in their prime to superbowls. The Giants have won a couple with just a good QB.

As I mentioned, if the Dolphins start winning the complaints will end.

40. SuperMarksBros.

Well, you've certainly proven you can add, but the trends do not lie. Polian has taken over bad teams and improved them considerably, while Ireland's career rests on a single initial winning season, and an otherwise declining franchise.