Bill Polian and ESPN suck! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Polian and ESPN suck!

its all just talk....it doesnt mean anything or hold any weight.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40525/bill-polian-advocates-vikings-dolphins-trade

I never liked the Bills of the 90's, and I don't care if the guy was a great GM! And frankly, I don't watch the Disney network! So to **** they can both go!

But what I wanna know is when did this organization begin to allow this type of BS media scrutiny? You literally have an ex.GM fresh out the luxury suites now on board with the mouse trap channel calling out another franchise and for all intents and purposes trying to tell them how to conduct their draft and buisness. The audacity! This is simply classless and just doesn't sit well with me.

Man, it's time to put our foot down and say screw you! Each individual that is apart, whether it be a financial stake or interest position higher up, professional athlete on payroll, a vendor in the concession stands, or a die-hard fan of this illustrious team, we all as a collective group have to finally stop the **** bleeding. WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS! Be proud and stand up! Shake the haters and remind them who we are... the only team to go undefeated in a single season in NFL history.

Giving up our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to the 3rd overall pick with Minnesota to select Ryan Tannehill is just not worth it. Especially when you consider that it would be a reach to select him 8th overall in the draft in the first place. Listen, I like the kid. He has tremendous potential and upside, but given that it'll at least be 2 years to get him "NFL ready"... the cost outweighs the reward...IMO.

Heck, if we're as terrible as everyone seems to think we'll be this season, we'll fall flat on our faces, go 1-15 (if things go according to "their" plan... you know we're not good in those situations), and we'll end up having the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft in which we would assumably select Matt Barkley from USC.

But I happen to think Matt Moore is better than that. We all are! So here here to a turn around season and a return to greatness for our beloved Miami Dolphins. :brewskis:

For somebody who doesn't care you sure had alot to say about it

Remember, the "team" that Polian just built just earned the #1 pick in the draft. And for all those that want to criticize Ireland because he has not built a championship in Miami since he took over as GM in 2010, It took Polian 10 years from when he was hired as GM until they won the Super Bowl.

polian built the bills, panthers, and colts, so i think he knows a little something about football

Remember, the "team" that Polian just built just earned the #1 pick in the draft. And for all those that want to criticize Ireland because he has not built a championship in Miami since he took over as GM in 2010, It took Polian 10 years from when he was hired as GM until they won the Super Bowl.
Polian was hired in 1997. 2 years later, the Colts were one of the better teams in the AFC and stayed that way for a decade plus. His Bills and Colts were powerhouses, and the Panthers were very good as well. Ireland's entire track record is 2 rebuilds in 5 years.

Well i will agree his latest work inst grand he did build two damn good franchises in Indy and Buffalo which is more than Ireland has done in his last two stops

The operative word here is "built". Polian also "built" the early Carolina Panthers. The problem is that Polian did not sustain what he built anywhere. That was true in Buffalo, in Carolina, and in Indy. The biggest myth circulating among NFL fans is that Indy won the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes because they lost Peyton Manning. No, they lost so many games because they had a well-past-its-prime talent-deprived team that was utterly dependent upon Peyton Manning disguising its serious problems, including a mediocre coaching staff.

IMO, Peyton or no Peyton, the Colts weren't making the playoffs in 2011, they were that bad. Heck, the Texans made the playoffs with their starting QB only playing 11 games. The Pats went 11-5 in 2008 with Brady out for the season in the first game of the season. It takes a really bad team to put together a 1 or 2 win season!

The operative word here is "built". Polian also "built" the early Carolina Panthers. The problem is that Polian did not sustain what he built anywhere. That was true in Buffalo, in Carolina, and in Indy. The biggest myth circulating among NFL fans is that Indy won the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes because they lost Peyton Manning. No, they lost so many games because they had a well-past-its-prime talent-deprived team that was utterly dependent upon Peyton Manning disguising its serious problems, including a mediocre coaching staff. IMO, Peyton or no Peyton, the Colts weren't making the playoffs in 2011, they were that bad. Heck, the Texas made the playoffs and their starting QB only played 11 games.

The colts were damn good for over a decade same with Bills , I mean can you expect anymore than that out of a GM.

Winning shuts people up. Losers are free game. As it should be.

The colts were damn good for over a decade same with Bills , I mean can you expect anymore than that out of a GM.

I'm not denying that. However, Polian has some serious flaws in his team building strategy.
  • He builds great offensive teams but largely neglects defenses. He did that in both Buffalo and Indy, and it cost both of those teams Super Bowl rings. The Bills could get to the SB but couldn't win it because their Ds were just NOT as good as the NFC Ds they faced. With Indy's offensive talent, they could get to the playoffs, but most years their mediocre defenses let them down.
  • Polian's idea of building a great defense is to get a great pass rushing DE (Bruce Smith and Dwight Freeney). He also liked undersized defenders. The Bills DLers and LBers weren't as big or as physical compared to the NFC defenders, and the same has been true of Indy's D for years.
  • Polian is NOT the best evaluator of coaching talent. Tony Dungy was his best hire, Marv Levy was okay, and Tom Caldwell was clearly mediocre.
  • Polian seriously allowed Indy's talent to decline on both sides of the ball. That can stem from numerous causes, including poor cap management, but I suspect that at least some of that stems from Polian's reliance on his son, Chris, who was once considered a rising star among NFL personnel guys. The Polians, father and son, have missed a lot in Indy's recent drafts.

I'm not denying that. However, Polian has some serious flaws in his team building strategy.
  • He builds great offensive teams but largely neglects defenses. He did that in both Buffalo and Indy, and it cost both of those teams Super Bowl rings. The Bills could get to the SB but couldn't win it because their Ds were just NOT as good as the NFC Ds they faced. With Indy's offensive talent, they could get to the playoffs, but most years their mediocre defenses let them down.
  • Polian's idea of building a great defense is to get a great pass rushing DE (Bruce Smith and Dwight Freeney). He also liked undersized defenders. The Bills DLers and LBers weren't as big or as physical compared to the NFC defenders, and the same has been true of Indy's D for years.
  • Polian is NOT the best evaluator of coaching talent. Tony Dungy was his best hire, Marv Levy was okay, and Tom Caldwell was clearly mediocre.
  • Polian seriously allowed Indy's talent to decline on both sides of the ball. That can stem from numerous causes, including poor cap management, but I suspect that at least some of that stems from Polian's reliance on his son, Chris, who was once considered a rising star among NFL personnel guys. The Polians, father and son, have missed a lot in Indy's recent drafts.
+1

Polian is overrated imo. His greatest teams were built before the salary cap was in place. Your team was as good as the money you spent. He was GM of the Colts after the salary cap was in place, but he had Peyton Manning to cover up his draft deficiencies. The team had a few stars at key positions, but the rest of the team was filled out with scrubs, which became even more apparent last year.

Polian was hired in 1997. 2 years later, the Colts were one of the better teams in the AFC and stayed that way for a decade plus. His Bills and Colts were powerhouses, and the Panthers were very good as well. Ireland's entire track record is 2 rebuilds in 5 years.

Facts are facts. Polian took over the Colts in 1997. They won the Super Bowl in 2007. The team that Polian built just fell apart and has the #1 pick in the draft. I never said that Polian was not good or did not know what he was doing. He has a very good track record. He was a GM for over 25 years with the Bills, Panthers and Colts. Total Super Bowls won: 1. And he did that quite possibly with the best QB of all time. Facts are facts.

Facts are facts. Polian took over the Colts in 1997. They won the Super Bowl in 2007. The team that Polian built just fell apart and has the #1 pick in the draft. I never said that Polian was not good or did not know what he was doing. He has a very good track record. He was a GM for over 25 years with the Bills, Panthers and Colts. Total Super Bowls won: 1. And he did that quite possibly with the best QB of all time. Facts are facts.
You're right, facts are facts. 7-9, 7-9, and 6-10 are facts. Lets also not discount Polian's 5 other SB appearances. The guy builds winners. Ireland's teams have gone downhill since that regime took over. The rest of the regime is gone, and here he is trying to fix the mess he helped create.

You're right, facts are facts. 7-9, 7-9, and 6-10 are facts. Lets also not discount Polian's 5 other SB appearances. The guy builds winners. Ireland's teams have gone downhill since that regime took over. The rest of the regime is gone, and here he is trying to fix the mess he helped create.

I see you conveniently forgot the 11-5 season. I am sure it was just a mistake. Ireland took over in 2010, and has not even had 2 drafts where he is responsible. Even so, if you want to say it was 4 years, I disagree, but fine. Then with that logic, Ireland took over a 1-15 team. Since then the Fins have had a record of 31-33. Bill Polian took over a team that went 3-13 . After the Colts hired Polian the Colts records were: 3-13, 13-3, 10-6, 6-10. So Polian went 32-32, one more victory than Ireland over a 4 year period. Which means by most Finheaven members Polian should have been fired by his 4th season or 3 years before he won a Super Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom