Billick: Ryan Tannehill hype recalls JaMarcus Russell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Billick: Ryan Tannehill hype recalls JaMarcus Russell

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Jim Irsay called Ryan Tannehill a "hidden gem" and a "quiet secret" destined for the No. 3 pick in April's draft, but the Colts owner does not coach football games. Neither does Brian Billick, but he used to, and when he looks at the Texas A&M quarterback, a very dubious comparison comes to mind. JaMarcus Russell, perhaps the biggest draft bust in NFL history.Billick, an NFL Network analyst, appeared on ESPN's "Mike and Mike" show Thursday and said Tannehill reminds him of Russell because they "both shot up draft boards based on how they looked in shorts."Russell underachieved in every sense of the word, and the Oakland Raiders don't get a free pass on taking him with the top overall pick in 2007.Billick shouldn't receive a free pass for his track record drafting QBs, either. With the Baltimore Ravens from 1999 to 2007, the list includes Chris Redman (2000), Wes Pate (2002), Kyle Boller (19th overall in 2003), Josh Harris (2004), Derek Anderson (2005) and Troy Smith (2007). Not exactly a carnival of celebrated arms. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-ryan-tannehill-hype-recalls-jamarcus-russell

Bilick is a sour pus and ready to trash anything miami does. Hell we cost him his coaching job by losing to us for our only win and pissed off Mr. Ross by responding like a jackass when Ross was busting his chops.

Billick isn't one to go to for advice on QB. Couldn't you really say it's more comparable Russell to RGIII? Seeing as RGIII really had one good year of accuracy....?

I honestly am not sure how you can compare Tannehill and Russell. Russell was an athletic freak, but he was dumb as a box of rocks and was addicted to freakin' purple drank. Tannehill, while a good athlete, is not the same caliber of athlete as Russell, but he's also got a lot more upstairs and isn't a bum.

Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell are really bad comparisons, IMO.

I like how Tannehill and Russell are similar b/c they both shot up the draft boards b/c of how they looked in shorts. The draft board, the thing they have nothing to do with and have no control over.

Fantastic logic

Jim Irsay called Ryan Tannehill a "hidden gem" and a "quiet secret" destined for the No. 3 pick in April's draft, but the Colts owner does not coach football games. Neither does Brian Billick, but he used to, and when he looks at the Texas A&M quarterback, a very dubious comparison comes to mind. JaMarcus Russell, perhaps the biggest draft bust in NFL history.Billick, an NFL Network analyst, appeared on ESPN's "Mike and Mike" show Thursday and said Tannehill reminds him of Russell because they "both shot up draft boards based on how they looked in shorts."Russell underachieved in every sense of the word, and the Oakland Raiders don't get a free pass on taking him with the top overall pick in 2007.Billick shouldn't receive a free pass for his track record drafting QBs, either. With the Baltimore Ravens from 1999 to 2007, the list includes Chris Redman (2000), Wes Pate (2002), Kyle Boller (19th overall in 2003), Josh Harris (2004), Derek Anderson (2005) and Troy Smith (2007). Not exactly a carnival of celebrated arms. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-ryan-tannehill-hype-recalls-jamarcus-russell

How many coaching interviews did Billick get this offseason in an offseason of tons of coaches needed? I am not going to say Tannehill will be sucessfull of not, I was excited with the pick, but that comparison if laughable to say the least which shows in the amount of interviews.

I see you Brian Billick...wonder why you don't have a coaching job any more? Mr. I'll draft Kyle Boller...fraud.

Billick just has sour grapes for this franchise cause he got passed up for the HC gig..... Screw him.

after Russell's first 5 starts:

77-130, 59%, 892 yds, 5 TDs, 2 INTs, 86.4 rating

Tannehill:
97-169, 57%, 1269 yds, 2 TDs, 6 INTs, 70.4 rating

I'm not saying he will be jamarcus Russell, I think Tannehill has shown more than enough to think he will be pretty good but it just shows the daner of annointing guys too soon.

after Russell's first 5 starts:

77-130, 59%, 892 yds, 5 TDs, 2 INTs, 86.4 rating

Tannehill:
97-169, 57%, 1269 yds, 2 TDs, 6 INTs, 70.4 rating

I'm not saying he will be jamarcus Russell, I think Tannehill has shown more than enough to think he will be pretty good but it just shows the daner of annointing guys too soon.

Wasn't it that stats don't tell the full story? You have to watch the games? Blah blah blah

Back
Top Bottom