Bills defense dominated 2014 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills defense dominated 2014

DaQuix

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I guess they did a study of all 256 games last season, and these were the results.

The #1 defensive performances of any team in any game was the Bills VS Aaron Rodgers.

And the Bills defense had 8 of the top 100 best defensive performances of the year. That's the most of any team. Seattle was 2nd with 7 of the top 100 defensive performances.

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-best-and-worst-passing-games-of-2014/

Doesn't matter if your offense blows.

You have to score TD's to get to the big prize in this league. Until your offense can generate 2-3 TD per game consistently having a #1 D won't matter.

Your offense only scored 30 TD's last year. Pitiful.

Is Rex now coaching 4-3 defense, or are the Bills switching to 3-4?

The Bills offense looks pretty efficient against the Steelers today and of course, the DL is strong. But that secondary is a mess.

Division is gonna be nasty. The Jets look like they are going to have some weapons too. Marshall and Decker is a good duo

Is Rex now coaching 4-3 defense, or are the Bills switching to 3-4?

3-4 essentially but it's pretty irrelevant TBH. First off teams are only in their base about 40-45% of the time these days. Rex Ryan uses quite a bit of variety in his scheme and can give a 4-3 look form a 3-4 defense and play both on any snap depending on the play call.

This can be seen in Buffalo's 3-4 Under:

43underpettine_medium.png

The weakside OLB, Mario Williams will often still play with his hand in the dirt. So though the scheme will change with Ryan and assignments will be different, they will still have a similar overall look. But, make no mistake about it, it differs greatly from Shwartz's philosophy in that Ryan is a heavy blitzer and plays mostly man coverage on the back end.

The Bills use a variety of D line fronts. 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 46. They had a 46 look going on where 3 defensive ends would attack the QB from the same point.

As for the secondary, Bills should be in good shape. Looks like Rex is trying to get Darby a baptism by fire by leaving him alone with 6'5'' receivers in pre-season. I doubt Darby will be doing that in the regular season but like all cornerbacks that are rookies, there will be growing pains. McKelvin will be back in a month or so as well. Last night Rex said he wanted to "test" his secondary by not pressuring QB like normal and forcing them into coverage. In the regular season, expect blitzing on almost every play.

I caught the first series against Panthers and they played 4-3 although some players were standing up. They played nickel on 2d and 3d down against 3 WRs with 4 down linemen. I'll watch more because three plays is a negligable sample. That photo Sons of Shula posted proves they align in 3-4 as well.

Another thing is, against Pitt, Bills played one soft press and one off coverage at boundary throughout the game, switching sides. It may have depended on the WR. I did not pay attention to that.

Ronald Darby was burned consistently.

I caught the first series against Pitt and they played 4-3 although some players were standing up. They played nickel on 2d and 3d down against 3 WRs with 4 down linemen. I'll watch more because three plays is a negligable sample. That photo Sons of Shula posted proves they align in 3-4 as well.

Another thing is, Bills played one soft press and one off coverage at boundary throughout the game, switching sides. It may have depended on the WR. I did not pay attention to that.

Ronald Darby was burned consistently.

Steelers most definitely play a 3-4, without a doubt, as their defensive front three are RDE Stephon Tuitt, NT Steve McLendon and LDE Cameron Heyward and their LB's are LOLB Arthur Moats (hybrid pass rusher), LILB Ryan Shazier, RILB Lawrence Timmons, and ROLB Jarvis Jones.

In Pitt's zone blitz they play what is referred to as safe pressure or conservative controlled choas, in that they almost always rush 4 and drop 7, but with the strategy of opposing offenses not knowing where the 4th rusher will be coming from on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darby looks like he will be a good player but he got burned like toast by Kelvin Benjamin and then Martavis Bryant. He is always near the receiver to make a play but he doesn't quite get his hands in the right place yet on the big receivers. He is the only player I would worry about on the Bills D. I assume Rex will give him safety help over the top in the real games.

That first PI call on Darby was awful. I hate when refs throw flags that cost more than 30 yards when the corner doesn't do anything wrong.

Darby looks like he will be a good player but he got burned like toast by Kelvin Benjamin and then Martavis Bryant. He is always near the receiver to make a play but he doesn't quite get his hands in the right place yet on the big receivers. He is the only player I would worry about on the Bills D. I assume Rex will give him safety help over the top in the real games.

That first PI call on Darby was awful. I hate when refs throw flags that cost more than 30 yards when the corner doesn't do anything wrong.
That was a horrible call but at least it was made in pre season. Better hope that the Bills get pressure on Luck quickly and consistently to mask that deficiency or Luck will eviscerate Darby. He looked absolutely dreadful.

That was a horrible call but at least it was made in pre season. Better hope that the Bills get pressure on Luck quickly and consistently to mask that deficiency or Luck will eviscerate Darby. He looked absolutely dreadful.

He looked dreadful against Kelvin Benjamin and Martavis Bryant. But both are incredible WRs, Benjamin is injured but I just grabbed Bryant in fantasy football with a late round pick. The week before Darby has 2 interceptions. He has had a great camp. Rex was forcing the secondary into situations against Pittsburgh. When the regular season starts, QB's will not have time to throw as the Bills blitzers will be coming on every play.

He looked dreadful against Kelvin Benjamin and Martavis Bryant. But both are incredible WRs, Benjamin is injured but I just grabbed Bryant in fantasy football with a late round pick. The week before Darby has 2 interceptions. He has had a great camp. Rex was forcing the secondary into situations against Pittsburgh. When the regular season starts, QB's will not have time to throw as the Bills blitzers will be coming on every play.

well, i'm not sure the task will get any easier vs. Andre Johnson. or T.Y. Hilton. or Donte Moncrief. or Philip Dorsett.

well, i'm not sure the task will get any easier vs. Andre Johnson. or T.Y. Hilton. or Donte Moncrief. or Philip Dorsett.

Sure, that is a tough task for any team. That is why the Bills D-Line better dominate because if Luck gets time no secondary will stop him. Rookie corners, even talented ones, always are picked on.

Back
Top Bottom