Bills fire DL Coach Dunbar - Mario Williams effect? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills fire DL Coach Dunbar - Mario Williams effect?

Dolphins83Draft

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The article talks about the decline of sack totals for the Bills D to second fewest in the league - I didn't realize how far the ENTIRE defense slipped last year.

The Bills' defense underperformed last season after leading the NFL in sacks (54) in 2014 and setting a franchise record in sacks (57) in 2013. The Bills finished with 21 sacks last season, second fewest in the league, and did not send a player to the Pro Bowl after having three players (Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus) elected to back-to-back Pro Bowls in 2013 and 2014.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14966751/buffalo-bills-fire-defensive-line-coach-karl-dunbar

Just reading this gives me far more confidence that Mario will have a bounce back year returning to a true 4-3 system, the entire DL struggled under Rexy and Dunbar got sacked because of it.

I am hoping he will return to the player he was before and not the guy that showed up last season.

I am hoping he will return to the player he was before and not the guy that showed up last season.

I just couldn't believe that BUF fell to second fewest sacks in the league under Rex Ryan - I had no idea they fell that far!

That is a system problem, all of your DL studs don't disappear at once.

Rex would have been gone if not for the hit they'd have taken with his contract. He's the problem and it was just compounded by the nepotistic hiring of his hapless, fired for cause from last 2 jobs, brother as DC. Any HC who'd hire and entrust a critical squad to someone with that recent track record whom he'd likely have trouble firing really is the moron many of us long considered him to be.

The defense definitely didn't make the transition to Rex's defense very well and I think there are a few reasons for that. #1, it's not a simple defense. They also run multiple fronts and rely on LB's & DB's in coverage. When he came from Baltimore to NY, he brought a couple players with him to ease the learning curve (Bart Scott, Dawan Landry and Jim Leonard) & he did not have that in Buffalo. The Bills also lost one of their PB linemen in Kyle Williams and that limited them in what they were able to do. This is a DT who had 10.5 sacks one year. Add in Mario giving up and....

Rex, as a HC has never really had that elite edge defender and they typically got sacks from all over the place as opposed to just edge guys putting up 10+ sacks.

I wouldn't sleep on Rex's defense quite yet. They should be much better in year 2 and they added some more scheme fitting players for the front 7.

DE Kyle Williams
NT Marcel Dareus
DE Adolphis Washington

SOLB Shaq Lawson
ILB Preston Brown
ILB Reggie Ragland
WOLB Jerry Hughes

Not exactly the 2000 Ravens but I think they will be improved.

Dunbar was fired because he was not coaching the DL the way that Rex wanted. Mario was a Cancer in terms of only wanting to play the way he plays in the wide 9 and not worrying about the run or coverage elements of the position.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Rex would have been gone if not for the hit they'd have taken with his contract. He's the problem and it was just compounded by the nepotistic hiring of his hapless, fired for cause from last 2 jobs, brother as DC. Any HC who'd hire and entrust a critical squad to someone with that recent track record whom he'd likely have trouble firing really is the moron many of us long considered him to be.

You do not know the Pegulas too well. If they wanted Rex gone they would have fired him. the contract has nothing to do with it.

Concur. To quote the great philosopher Wade Wilson, "The Bills 'will be a Yakov Smirnoff opening for the Spin doctors at the Iowa State fair level sh** show' this season"

If your assistant coach isn't doing his job / doing his job the way you need it done, and you fire him, that's not the end of your season.

That said, the Bills are still one of the worst franchises in pro sports, and just an absolutely pathetic, garbage team coached by a moron, and their fans will once again be drinking themselves blind and killing themselves by week 10.

Jets had the same problem getting to the QB when the great Wrecks Ryan was there. Not at all surprising that the defense slipped the way it did and it won't be any better after the headscratching move of hiring the other Ryan. Enough talent on that team that if they had a decent head coach they could challenge for the playoffs. Another year of the clown show in the AFCE.

The article talks about the decline of sack totals for the Bills D to second fewest in the league - I didn't realize how far the ENTIRE defense slipped last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14966751/buffalo-bills-fire-defensive-line-coach-karl-dunbar

Just reading this gives me far more confidence that Mario will have a bounce back year returning to a true 4-3 system, the entire DL struggled under Rexy and Dunbar got sacked because of it.

mario will have a bounceback year b/c he will try this year, he quit on his team last year. you will get good mario for a year and then he will probably quit on Miami like he did on Buf and Houston.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Jets had the same problem getting to the QB when the great Wrecks Ryan was there. Not at all surprising that the defense slipped the way it did and it won't be any better after the headscratching move of hiring the other Ryan. Enough talent on that team that if they had a decent head coach they could challenge for the playoffs. Another year of the clown show in the AFCE.

we didn't have any pass rushers though. Buffalo did but certain players didn't buy in, they were more concerned about their stats and pro bowls than actually winning.

To coincidental for it to happen in NY and repeat itself in Buffalo. Bills set a franchise record in 2014 for sacks. The only change in 2015 was the scheme. Williams voiced what was obvious and it bought him a ticket out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To coincidental for it to happen in NY and repeat itself in Buffalo. Bills set a franchise record in 2014 for sacks. The only change in 2015 was the scheme. Williams voiced what was obvious and it bought him a ticket out of town.

williams quit, with the team having a chance to win for the first time in forever and Williams a chance at his first postseason he quit b/c he wasn't getting enough sacks. Rex's scheme has always brought pressure which can be as, if not more, important than actual sacks.

Not saying he didn't quit but Williams is not the sole reason that team didn't make the playoffs. The defense fell from 4th to 19th largely because Rex' scheme relies on strong CB play. It also aligns in a 3-4 base which doesn't fit their personnel. Rex forced his scheme instead of adjusting to talent.

Not saying he didn't quit but Williams is not the sole reason that team didn't make the playoffs. The defense fell from 4th to 19th largely because Rex' scheme relies on strong CB play. It also aligns in a 3-4 base which doesn't fit their personnel. Rex forced his scheme instead of adjusting to talent.

they didn't have great corners in baltimore and won. he can succeed different ways. Williams was a leader and quit on his team.

w/ that said rex did a poor job last year w/ the D, they should have been much better.

Back
Top Bottom