Bills search for balance may back-fire on them. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills search for balance may back-fire on them.

-81- McMichael

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp03/columns/bills/observations/1590409.html

Interesting read for those that like to scope out the competition.

I, for one, think it may very well hurt Buffalo's offense to try and "find" a balanced attack. Call it a hunch, but I think they may end up "thinking too much" about it. At least, I hope! ;)

The point in the article above about the o-line NOT being very aggressive and having most of its success off of draw plays... boy does that sound like the Marino days. I think the 2003 'Fins should pull film of the '85 - '98 'Fins and take notes on how to beat the Bills.

Oh, and all this talk lately about Travis Henry leading the league in rushing this year... what for? I don't get it. Buffalo's offense was what? Second, last year?

How's that saying go? "If it ain't broke..."

Again, I don't know. Seems to me like the Bills are starting to sound "greedy" on offense... when they've no need to.

Besides, I really think they should focus more attention on their defense and special teams.

On that note, it's good Sam Adams came in (at 340 lbs!) at the weight he'd promised ($$$ incentive) to come in at. But I'm still not sold on him. As much as Bill's fans insist Jr. is washed up and on "old legs" (hilarious)... Sam Adams looks like a non-factor to me. Not saying he sucks - just saying he's not all what Bill's fans are saying he's going to be.

The starting lb's are, obviously, improved. I only ask... where's the depth?

The corners are over-rated, IMHO.

And the safeties are a HUGE "?".

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't see why so many people think the Bills are going to be GREAT!

They'll be good, no doubt. But "great"?

As with the 'Fins... that remains to be seen.

I know one thing their defense will be much improved....
Definately top 10 in the AFC...
I really didn't like what they did to their O though...
Letting go of Peerless doesnt scare most fans since Reed looks like a good replacement...
I just didnt like the fact they let go of Centers and Riemersma....
Centers was Drew's safety blanket underneath and was lethal in the red zone...so was Riemersma...Now they've got a lot less options offensively...
Sam Gash can hammer people but thats about it...Dave Moore is slower than an elephant and couldnt catch a sniff...
They've gone smashmouth...It'll work on D but on O it's to be seen ?

you really need to develop a running game to protect your defense. those old dolphin defenses of the mid-80's never got a chance to catch their breath. as for the bills, the balanced approach should work against most teams, but fortunately, the dolphins do well against that type of team (e.g. indianapolis). they had their problems against the teams that were just chucking it all over the yard (kansas city, buffalo). pasquarelli is pretty enthusiastic about the bills, that's for sure. their fans definitely have reason for excitement, because if the offense is a little worse and the defense is a little better the team will probably be a lot better. i'm thinking that miami's offense and defense will both be a little better, countering all the moves by the rest of the division...

Originally posted by Pink_Dove
I know one thing their defense will be much improved....
Definately top 10 in the AFC...
I really didn't like what they did to their O though...
Letting go of Peerless doesnt scare most fans since Reed looks like a good replacement...
I just didnt like the fact they let go of Centers and Riemersma....
Centers was Drew's safety blanket underneath and was lethal in the red zone...so was Riemersma...Now they've got a lot less options offensively...
Sam Gash can hammer people but thats about it...Dave Moore is slower than an elephant and couldnt catch a sniff...
They've gone smashmouth...It'll work on D but on O it's to be seen ?

Sorry Dove. Centers and Riemersma was not a factor in our O last year. They were hardly noticed. If there was one thing we need more was pass protection. Cambell and Gash have been known to block better than Centers and JR.

Originally posted by justafan

Sorry Dove. Centers and Riemersma was not a factor in our O last year. They were hardly noticed.
=======================================

BITZKRIEG RESPONSE :

I wouldn't call 75 catches for 738 yards hardly noticed.....

PHINZ RULE!!!:drinkers:

Mark Campbell is a better player than Riemersma. Write, fax it, photocopy it. ;)

Larry Who? Last year we kept Henry in for blocking a lot, this year we'll leave Gash in and let TH catch passes. Not a loss at all.

Price will hurt a little, especially with the deep game, but Josh will be better on 3rd downs and is a much better downfield blocker. Did we downgrade there? Yes. But it won't hurt that badly and our new defense will provide us with TURNOVERS and a SHORTER field to work with the better field position we get and more posessions, we should easily be able to make up that production.
We'll also actually be able to score a few defensive TD's.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

=======================================

BITZKRIEG RESPONSE :

I wouldn't call 75 catches for 738 yards hardly noticed.....

PHINZ RULE!!!:drinkers:

For the fins maybe who's no. reciever had only 700+ yards. 738 between two players is nothing considering our no.3 had 500+ yards. I think we can make up for those 738 yards by protecting Drew from sacks and giving him more time to throw. :D

Maybe you've been so focussed on your Dolphins that you haven't really paid close attention to the Bills, McMichael. The Bilss have indeed focussed on the defence. In practice and in the Brown's scrimmage, Sam Adam's has been awesome. Moreover, Ron Edwards, who started at DT last year as a second year player hasadded weight and strength and acting like he still wants to start. He will get a lot of reps in games this year. His presence should help keep Sam Adams well rested.

Depth at linebacker? Well Brandon Spoon was a promising rookie two years ago lost for the season last year with a ruptured bicep. He's fine now and could probably start for quite a few teams at MLB. Dashon Polk has several years of experience now and has played in a number of games. Angelo Crowell was a very productive college player last year. I seem to remember Miami fans talking up their rookie LB. Why should a Miami rookie be considered ready to contribute and a Buffalo rookie a reason to question depth?

If it ain't broke, don' fix it? As I thought Fin Fans liked to point out, Buffalo's offence did have problems last year. Late in the season when opposing defensive coordinators discovered that Buffalo had consistency problems with the running game and short passing, they made a concerted effort to take away the deep pass. The result? Buffalo had difficulty sustaining drives. The loss of Price probably couldn't be helped.

Regarding Centers and Remiersma, Buffalo noticed declining production from both of them compared to the prior year. Both have also been a liability in blocking. The notion that Moore can't catch is a complete fallacy. He has better hands than Remiersma and the ratio of drops to catches would if they kept such stats, I suspect prove it. Travis Henry also has excellent hands for receiving. Part of the reason for Center's drop in production was Travis Henry's increased role as an outlet receiver. Gash and Crosby both have good hands, as does Mark Campbell at TE. What Centers and Remiersma give a team is a little more mobility than the guys Buffalo kept/acquired and maybe a better understanding of how to find holes in coverage, but they are not what you'd call a liability in the short passing game.

The big play will not disappear from Buffalo's offence, but Buffalo, rightfully so is trying to become versatile enough that if other teams take something away, they can win with something else. We'll have to wait and see how that turns out, but in theory that should make Buffalo more dangerous, not less so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me add athough about the Oline. Note that Mike Williams was out when Pascarelli made his observations. That has to make a difference. The man is 360 lbs and very athletic after all. If I remember correctly, Travis Henry liked to run off his side a lot last year. Also note that the Cleveland defensive line was playing with too much aggressiveness. Could it be that using the draw play was simply an intelligent response to the play of Cleveland's line?

Back
Top Bottom