Bills Tanking.

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by Phinatic8u, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

2. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

3. 13mademeafan

13mademeafan New Member

4. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Good Watkins scared the hell out me every time he was on the field. So long

5. FinFrenzy

FinFrenzy Never Lose Faith in the Fins Finheaven VIP Donator

2 first round picks and a 4th and 6th...lol for ej and a 2nd round pick

6. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Bend The Knee Moderator Finheaven VIP

Good riddance

7. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

They must not think he can stay healthy moving forward. That is a lot to give up for only 3 years. I kind of had the feeling he was on the outs when they didn't pick up his 5th year option.

8. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year. The Pats do this regularly. I wish Miami would get in on that.

NorFlaFin and catzero4 like this.
  9. lpfitz91

lpfitz91 Active Member

The Bills just traded Sammy Watkins to the Rams and received Jordan Matthews in a separate deal from the Eagles. As a Dolphins fan I like this trade. Watkins always lit up the Fins. Yes he misses half seasons but against Miami... He's an all pro. Definitely helps the Dolphins.

10. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

At what cost though?
    When you look at everything the Bills had invested, the trade isn't good. The Bills gave up Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, a 1st, a 4th, and a 6th round pick in exchange for E.J Gains, Jordan Matthews a 2nd and a 3rd.

11. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

The Bills just traded Watkins for Ej Gaines and a 2nd round pick. In a side deal the Eagles sent Jordan Matthews and a 3rd to the Bills for Ronald Darby. So the Bills add a 2nd, 3rd, Matthews and Gaines for Watkins and Darby.

12. gregorygrant83

I'm sure we could trade Landry for a 2nd and 3rd but what would be the point.

13. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Yea good long term moves by the Jills imo, f***.

14. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

When we do get in on that we blow it on picks like Michael Egnew and Jonathon Martin.

15. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

A better comparison would be trading Parker and Xavien Howard for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

The Bills gave up on Watkins who they wasted 2 first round picks, and a 4th on, then gave up Darby who they spent a 2nd pick on. People may be correct in assuming this is the right move for the Bills going forward, but looking at what they gave up in order to get to this point, it is a complete failure.

16. DuderinoN703

See? You can make sense sometimes ;)

17. DuderinoN703

I'm not suggesting they do that but if he walks next year I'd prefer they get more back than just a comp pick.

18. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

A FO more dysfunctional than ours in the division. Good. He torched us at times - good riddance...

19. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Haha I was just fuming about last night and didn't fully explain what I was meaning. Do i think certain decisions could have been made to prevent some of the issues they have dealt with this preseason? Absolutely. Do I think Gase had a role in that? Absolutely. But do I think Gase has a chance of being the future here? Absolutely.

And I trust Gase to not make stupid decisions like Egnew and Martin during his tenure here.

20. DuderinoN703

Injuries happen. It's bad that RT is done and that McMillan is too.

If Ryan was hurt in Week 3 in the preseason there would be people saying he shouldn't have been playing at all.

Had McMillan played two defensive series instead of one and he still gets hurt, some would say he was left in too long.

It's a never ending barrage of opinions from all sides.

gunn34 and Pandarilla like this.
  21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Damn, Bills and Jets fold early. Can't believe Bills got rid of Darby. Parker is gonna feast...

22. gregorygrant83

To be fair it would be like trading Parker and Howard for a 2nd, 3rd, Jordan Matthews and EJ Gaines.

23. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

If you really want to get technical, it would be like trading Howard, Parker, a 1st, and a 4th, for a 2nd, 3rd, Jordan Matthews and EJ Gaines. :)

24. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

As a Fin fan, I'll take going up against Jordan Matthews than a healthy Sammy Watkins any day.

Fintastic2124 likes this.
  25. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

Sammy could be an nfl great if hed stop getting hurt

26. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Worse yet, they stand a very good chance of getting another 3rd round pick as compensation for Stephen Gilmore. And Sean McDermott has an eye for talent and how said talent specifically fits into his plans.

Those celebrating this move are mistaken. This is a home run for the Bills and bad news for the Dolphins. If i had to choose between giving McDermott a 2nd and 3rd round pick plus some good (but not great) players or forcing them to back up a brinks truck to keep an injury prone player than i'd choose the latter every single time. This could be the move that lands them a franchise quarterback. Which would obviously make for a really bad time for us.

27. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Didn't the Jill's trade up to get Watkins that year?

28. FinFrenzy

FinFrenzy Never Lose Faith in the Fins Finheaven VIP Donator

Yes their 1st and 4th that year and their 1st the next year.

29. bleve

bleve Rookie

The Bills were not getting to the Super Bowl this year even with a healthy Watkins, and it was probably very likely Watkins was gone next year anyway.

30. DuderinoN703

They weren't beating NE?

31. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

Madden trades DO exist!

32. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think this is a good move in the long run for the Bills.

Obviously, they have to hit on the picks for it to pan out, but it's a good move for 2019 and beyond.

33. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

I usually agree with you, but you don't trade away a talented 23 year old corner and a talented 24 year old wide receiver for average players and picks. The only thing i can think is a lack of confidence with regards to their health. They're trading a dollar for 4 quarters at best. Now the pressure is on to at least get solid NFL starters with those picks and they won't know that for 2-3 seasons AFTER they draft them. It reminds me of the Jeff Ireland tactic of trade the assets you do have for picks and ask for patience as you collect a paycheck and "rebuild" for 11 seasons. It didn't work for us and the Saints are in year three of a "rebuild" since Mr. Ireland got to town.

34. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

The health concerns can't be overstated. They had already announced they refused to pick up the 5th year option because of Watkins foot. I'd find this trade to be a lot more disagreeable had Watkins stayed healthy and was making an Odell Beckham Jr type of impact.

But more to your central point, the difference between the Bills and Jeff Ireland is Jeff would trade his own drafted players after a year or two, the Bills traded the previous regimes players that didn't align with their future. While i vehemently argue talent over scheme fit, the fact of the matter is they've already made solid progress shoring up that unit with Tre'Davious White. McDermott has shown he can get results with his scheme. I was nervous when Adam Gase came in and started tweaking things but i remained patient because he had a proven track record of success.

The Bills have a good roster. But as another poster pointed out: good rosters don't win Superbowls. So what's the point? With contracts expiring and LeSean McCoy's career winding down they were on the clock to either start getting results or making tough decisions. The results weren't going to come given their wild-card-at-best roster, so it was decision making time. As it was they were able to recoup tremendous value. The previous regime made a mistake giving up 2 first round picks for Watkins in a deep receiver class, but holding onto him at this point would have been doubling down on a mistake. Watkins, at this stage of his career, isn't irreplaceable. And getting a solid number 2 receiver plus a high pick is a damn good start.

Yes, this will rely on hitting on draft picks and that won't be known for a couple of years. But these guys were hired to hit on draft picks. And they showed they can do a fairly decent job with this last draft. Handcuffing them out of concern they might fail just guarantees failure.

Ultimately though, this comes down to what it always comes down to: every team needs a franchise quarterback and they don't have one. We Dolphins fans know this dance better than most. You just can't **** around with that position. Either you have a quarterback capable of bringing home the trophy or you don't. Tyrod Taylor is a good enough player but he is no franchise quarterback. A team has to do whatever it takes to get one. Looking at what it cost the Rams and Redskins to try and grab one and the Bills moves are a no brainer.

35. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

How so?

Even though I don't believe him, the owner said Whaley was in charge of the draft. Even if we assume that it was all McDermott, wouldn't he have had to rely on info from the GM and scouts that are no longer with the team? Most of the guys there now were hired after the draft.

Because of Watkins injury history, I think it is a good possibility that the Bills made the right decision. If Watkins struggles with his health over the next few years, it won't really matter what the Bills do with the 2nd round pick they got for him. It would have been the right move not to keep him. However, if he stays healthy and plays to his potential, the Bills will have a tough time coming out on top of this trade.

36. BillsFanInPeace

BillsFanInPeace FinHeaven VIP

Alot of people saying the Bills medical staff was very important in this move. They dont think Watkins health is going to hold. Also he wasnt re-signing.

Now Darby fell off last year and was struggling eary this season with the new zone heavy scheme. He is a man press CB like Gilmore was.

So this was about getting expiring contracts and assets for future. Now they are set up to go get a QB if TT continues to be a better runner than passer.

37. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Well your medical staff missed an injury to Matthews sternum which will put him out for a bit. That said, Watkins has put up 520 yards and 3 TDs in 5 games against Miami so we're glad to see him gone. To me these trades are about moving into the top 2 picks of the 2018 draft to get that elusive franchise QB. Having 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds (plus an additional 3rd for Gilmore most likely) should give them plenty of ammo for that. Not sure I would settle for less than the second pick because Josh Rosen is not in the same category as Allen or Darnold.

38. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

bills will be hiring new coach in 3 yr. bills got players. the coach they hire is problems.