Bills to name Dolphins Joe Schoen assistant G.M. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills to name Dolphins Joe Schoen assistant G.M.

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The Bills recently hired a General Manager. They’re now hiring an assistant G.M.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Dolphins director of player personnel Joe Schoen will become the No. 2 to Brandon Beane in Buffalo.

The Dolphins could have blocked the hire. As the source explained it, executive V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum decided to allow the move in order to foster an atmosphere of upward mobility in Miami, with quality work resulting in a reward — even if the reward comes from a division rival.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/14/bills-to-name-joe-schoen-assistant-g-m/amp/

Last edited:
Fresh blood in our front office from outside the organisation is ok with me

Interesting that it was tannenbaums call not Griers, guess he doesnt even have final say over his own scouts

Interesting comment from a fan on this article:

bassplucker says:May 14, 2017 9:20 AM

So basically the Fins just handed over detailed intel on every player on their roster, to a division rival. Good for Schoen but if I’m a Fins fan I’m not real excited about that M.O.

Not sure if letting this guy go to a division rival was the best idea...:stop

Yeah I'm not happy about this, for the reason mentioned above. I understand wanting to foster a work environment that rewards success, but I'd prefer that guys aren't rewarded by division rivals.

Interesting comment from a fan on this article:

bassplucker says:May 14, 2017 9:20 AM

So basically the Fins just handed over detailed intel on every player on their roster, to a division rival. Good for Schoen but if I’m a Fins fan I’m not real excited about that M.O.

Not sure if letting this guy go to a division rival was the best idea...:stop

I'm pretty sure the Bills know the Miami Dolphins roster pretty well Also, its not like schoen was involved in gameplanning our team, for games against Buffalo, or on the inside regarding how we handle Buffalo.

Schoen came to the Dolphins in 2008 after spending the first seven years in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers, the organization Beane worked for before joining Buffalo’s front office.

During his tenure in Miami Schoen oversaw both the college and pro scouting departments. He served as a key liaison between Miami’s coaching staff and the personnel department.

At this time it is unclear what the Dolphins will do to replace Schoen, who served as General Manager Chris Grier’s second in command.

Anthony Hunt, who has been with the Dolphins for 23 years, is entering his fifth season as the director or pro personnel.

And Adam Engroff, who has been with the Dolphins for 18 seasons, is entering his second season as the team’s director of college scouting.

Both could be candidates for a promotion if the Dolphins want to elevate an in-house candidate.

Grier could also formally hire his father, Bobby Grier, who spent decades working and running NFL front offices before retiring as Houston’s senior personnel advisor two years ago. Bobby Grier worked with the Dolphins as a consultant this past draft.

Hopefully Grier doesn't hire Grier. Something like that usually ends up being a unhealthy situation in the long run especially. Maybe its a mutual move also where we want new blood. Honestly our drafts have not been great IMO in the past and this is a nice way of fixing that. I liked this years draft and maybe this guy we are loosing was part of that problem.

Back
Top Bottom