Black coaches will be front and centre in title game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Black coaches will be front and centre in title game

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Two good friends who happen to be NFL coaches are already front and centre in this Super Bowl, and kickoff is still two weeks away.

Lovie Smith became the first black head coach to make it all the way to the NFL's marquee game yesterday afternoon when his Chicago Bears won the NFC championship.

About four hours later, his pal and mentor, Tony Dungy, joined him there when his Indianapolis Colts took the AFC title.

For the first time in the big game's 41-year history, not one, but two black head coaches will be on the sidelines.

"It means a lot," Dungy said after a 38-34 victory over the New England Patriots. "I'm very proud to represent African-American coaches."
Dungy has always been the front man for the NFL's minority coaches - outspoken when he thought there weren't enough opportunities, the first to congratulate the league's owners when they began to provide an outlet for equal opportunity.

But despite a regular-season winning percentage of .644, he was labelled as a coach who could get his teams to the postseason - in both Tampa and Indianapolis - but never win the big one.

Las Vegas oddsmakers installed Indianapolis as a one-touchdown favourite in the Super Bowl on Feb. 4 at Miami's Dolphin Stadium.

Smith earned his trip when the Bears (15-3) beat the New Orleans Saints 39-14. He is a former assistant to Dungy in Tampa Bay.
"I'll feel even better to be the first black coach to hold up the world championship trophy," Smith said.
It won't be easy, though, especially the way Peyton Manning and the Colts (15-4) are playing.

Manning has been dogged for years by critics who said his greatness was diminished by the fact he couldn't win a big game. After leading his team back from an 18-point deficit, the Colts quarterback finally has the chance - on football's biggest stage.

"
It sounds good," a beaming Manning said. "It really does."

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2...f19-4e52-b27b-8362a92a0d60&k=15405&frame=true

That was my first thought after I saw who the teams would be.

I would have never known this was the first time a black coach has been to the Superbowl, if they hadnt shoved it down our throats all weekend...I think it needs to be a non issue, we shouldnt even be noticing things like this, to me its two coaches in the superbowl not two black coaches...

I would have never known this was the first time a black coach has been to the Superbowl, if they hadnt shoved it down our throats all weekend...I think it needs to be a non issue, we shouldnt even be noticing things like this, to me its two coaches in the superbowl not two black coaches...

:yeahthat:

maybe to you its not a big deal but for these Coaches it is..this is History

im black and im proud of these guys..they have history here

other then that, i hope for a great game

I think it should be acknowledged because it is history but it shouldnt become a big issue imo.

You've all got this backwards. If we lived in a racially harmonic society, I would agree with you. But we do not.

Why is it White America gets so offended when Black America decides to celebrate the obstacles it has overcome?

Racism in professional football, especially against African Americans, hasn't exactly been buried. Black quarterbacks and coaches have often found themselves under the microscope moreso than white coaches, and I'm sure they don't like it.

This is a milestone because it is something that would have been unheard of decades ago. Racism is not just calling someone a racial slur...institutional racism is still at large and prevalent, and Blacks are still not on an equal playing field.

To say we shouldn't acknowledge the achievement is short-sighted and convenient for whites.

You've all got this backwards. If we lived in a racially harmonic society, I would agree with you. But we do not.

Why is it White America gets so offended when Black America decides to celebrate the obstacles it has overcome?

Racism in professional football, especially against African Americans, hasn't exactly been buried. Black quarterbacks and coaches have often found themselves under the microscope moreso than white coaches, and I'm sure they don't like it.

This is a milestone because it is something that would have been unheard of decades ago. Racism is not just calling someone a racial slur...institutional racism is still at large and prevalent, and Blacks are still not on an equal playing field.

To say we shouldn't acknowledge the achievement is short-sighted and convenient for whites.
When did I say I was offended or that it shouldnt be acknowledged? I think its being overdone, and that it shouldnt be an issue...I think its good that black coaches are in the superbowl, I just think ideally we wouldnt have to celebrate it..People are people, and as long as we as a society make race an issue it will always be an issue.....

Not to get too much into race, but as a black man and probably one of the few here, I was extremely happy to see Lovie locked in.. and then just as happy to see Dungy. It assures us that a black coach will finally win a Super Bowl, and for the race and culture itself, it's an accomplishment whether people agree or disagree.

I can't remember how many times I've heard..

"Black people aren't smart enough to win as QB's and head coaches. Blacks are just athletes."

This is like a big "**** you" to those who felt that way.

*notice I said "to those who felt that way" and not to all white people in general

Well unlike most of you I am actually black. It is a big deal that two black coaches made it to the superbowl. The league has only been intergrated for 60 years. The first head black head coach was Art Shell in 1989. A lot of progress has been made. They haven't made a huge deal out of it.

When did I say I was offended or that it shouldnt be acknowledged? I think its being overdone, and that it shouldnt be an issue...I think its good that black coaches are in the superbowl, I just think ideally we wouldnt have to celebrate it..People are people, and as long as we as a society make race an issue it will always be an issue.....

I used to say and believe things like that too.

However, is this a realistic occurrence? Not anytime soon, no. Not to say we shouldn't keep trying, or that great strides haven't been made, but we're still a long way away.

If this milestone is not acknowledged, it's another roadblock in the way for Black coaches. Meaning that White America didn't mind secretly questioning their coaching abilities because they were Black, behind their backs, but did mind giving them credit when they were the first Black coach to do something.

I believe this for the same reason that I changed my mind about Affirmative Action.

Not to get too much into race, but as a black man and probably one of the few here, I was extremely happy to see Lovie locked in.. and then just as happy to see Dungy. It assures us that a black coach will finally win a Super Bowl, and for the race and culture itself, it's an accomplishment whether people agree or disagree.

I can't remember how many times I've heard..

"Black people aren't smart enough to win as QB's and head coaches. Blacks are just athletes."

This is like a big "**** you" to those who felt that way.

*notice I said "to those who felt that way" and not to all white people in general

or the people who said "Steve McNair only won the MVP because he was Black and getting a break" a few years back.

Or what Rush Limbaugh said. And no doubt the coaches were under the microscope too. Lovie took a lot of heat on Phinfever.com (the board I used to visit) and was questioned as a candidate...despite the fact that around the league, he was getting raves.

Very well put, I enjoyed your post!

or the people who said "Steve McNair only won the MVP because he was Black and getting a break" a few years back.

Or what Rush Limbaugh said. And no doubt the coaches were under the microscope too. Lovie took a lot of heat on Phinfever.com (the board I used to visit) and was questioned as a candidate...despite the fact that around the league, he was getting raves.

Very well put, I enjoyed your post!

Don't remind me.....:fire:

Back
Top Bottom