Blackout looming for Jets/Dolphins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blackout looming for Jets/Dolphins?

Palease, I lived in Miami for a long time, that is not the reason. Even before the recession this was an issue. Fans who live near the poverty line were never going to a Dolphins game, before or in the future, and "poverty" is not an issue in most of the cities/neighborhoods in south Florida. Sure You have your liberty city's, opa lockas and overtowns, but you have plenty of your Gables, cutler bays, kendalls, hammocks, miramars, Weston's, pembroke pines, hollywoods and on and on. Tons of middle, upper middle and above.

I hate when you guys use these excuses. Say you're not going to the game because "you don't want to". I'll respect that, because in the end you are not required to, but these excuses...

Nice stat for you guys:

Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa Bay are all teams that have been as successful as we've been, and are in worse economic shape than you claim South Florida to be in, yet they still trump us on attendance.

I feel so helpless here in NY!! Don't worry Phins, I'll make it down to support you guys...

You spew garbage. That's all that is when you try to counter my post with just empty non-factual statements. Here is an article from 2007 :

The City of Miami has one of the highest poverty rates and one of the lowest median incomes among large US cities, according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey released Tuesday.

The survey places Miami's poverty rate at 26.9%, well above the state average of 12.6%, Miami-Dade County's 16.4% and the national average of 13.3%.

Miami residents living below the poverty line have the added burden of dealing with some of the nation's highest median housing prices.

------------------

This is NOT a new problem, either. This is an article from 2001 Sun-Sentinel : http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...i-dade-s-population-broward-miami-dade-county

Miami's Poverty Rate Is Worst Of U.s. Cities

One of every three you see probably lives below the poverty level, the highest percentage in the nation.

You spew garbage. That's all that is when you try to counter my post with just empty non-factual statements.[FONT=Veranda, Arial, Hevetica, sans-serif] Here is an article from 2007 :

The City of Miami has one of the highest poverty rates and one of the lowest median incomes among large US cities, according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey released Tuesday.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Veranda, Arial, Hevetica, sans-serif] The survey places Miami's poverty rate at 26.9%, well above the state average of 12.6%, Miami-Dade County's 16.4% and the national average of 13.3%.[/FONT]
[FONT=Veranda, Arial, Hevetica, sans-serif] Miami residents living below the poverty line have the added burden of dealing with some of the nation's highest median housing prices.[/FONT]

So, do you think that a winning team in the future won't fix the attendance problem?

Funny that so far you are the only one to bring it up in this thread. Twice.

Half of my prediction already came about on this thread and you added onto it as predicted. Until you live in Miami for more than 5 years you have no right to talk the garbage you do about the locals here. When Jacksonville moves to LA you're free to migrate to that team, thanks.

You cannot blame the people in South Florida. The economy stinks and when you have to pony up $50 to $100 for just a nosebleed seat out in the 90 degree heat, many people are preferring to stay at home or watch the game at a sport's bar. I wish I lived close enough to take in a game in person. You also have to look at all of the other options people have in Florida, like going to the beach on Sunday....it is not like living in Green Bay where there is nothing else to do but watch a game. I think the Packers have a waiting list for season tickets that makes you wait 35 years to get tickets. Screw that.

Sure you can. I lived there, witnessed the apathy in living color. The average South Floridian doesnt go to the beach as often as you think. It's like everything else in life, when it's always available to you, you rarely use it. Tourists such as yourself would literally live at the beach if you moved there, after 5 years of living there, not so much.

So, do you think that a winning team in the future won't fix the attendance problem?

When the team starts winning, and assuming the economy stays how it is now for the foreseeable future, they will be able to compete with the Miami Heat for the limited amount of people who have disposable income.

As of now, kids beg their parents to go to Heat games, not Dolphin games.

I'd also add that sports bars have grown like wild fire here the past 10 years...

Many folks are either staying home or going to those on Sunday.

The NFL makes more money from TV deals than people going to the games anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

When the team starts winning, and assuming the economy stays how it is now for the foreseeable future, they will be able to compete with the Miami Heat for the limited amount of people who have disposable income.

As of now, kids beg their parents to go to Heat games, not Dolphin games.

Out of towners really think everyone has thousands of dollars to throw away on a bad product...Good lord.

Half of my prediction already came about on this thread and you added onto it as predicted. Until you live in Miami for more than 5 years you have no right to talk the garbage you do about the locals here. When Jacksonville moves to LA you're free to migrate to that team, thanks.
I haven't really said anything negative about the local fans in this thread. Though if I did offer an opinion, I have every right to do so. Free country.

Sure you can. I lived there, witnessed the apathy in living color. The average South Floridian doesnt go to the beach as often as you think. It's like everything else in life, when it's always available to you, you rarely use it. Tourists such as yourself would literally live at the beach if you moved there, after 5 years of living there, not so much.

Again, it's not apathy. Miami is a struggling economic city, with one of the worst poverty percentages in the nation, one of the worst average median income per household numbers, and one of the highest residential costs of living in the nation. Combine that with the terrible economy and the Miami Heat being one of the best teams in all of sports, and the Dolphins are competing with a limited amount of people with disposable income.

Stop trashing the people of Miami as "bad fans". The harsh reality is a lot of people cannot afford it, and would only make the sacrifice if the team was exciting.

I'd also add that sports bars have grown like wild fire here the past 10 years...

Many folks are either staying home or going to those on Sunday.

The NFL makes more money from TV deals than people going to the games anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Out of towners really think everyone has thousands of dollars to throw away on a bad product...Good lord.

You're more likely to throw away a fortune at a "sports bar" than you are by going to a Dolphins game.

You spew garbage. That's all that is when you try to counter my post with just empty non-factual statements. Here is an article from 2007 :

The survey places Miami's poverty rate at 26.9%, well above the state average of 12.6%, Miami-Dade County's 16.4% and the national average of 13.3%.

Miami residents living below the poverty line have the added burden of dealing with some of the nation's highest median housing prices.

------------------

This is NOT a new problem, either. This is an article from 2001 Sun-Sentinel : http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...i-dade-s-population-broward-miami-dade-county

Miami's Poverty Rate Is Worst Of U.s. Cities

Dude, do you know when they mention "Miami", they're referring to the city of Miami? This consists of neighborhoods such as little Havana and Coconut Grove. They are not referring to all of Dade county, surely you know this? South Florida cities are among some of the richest in the world, much less the country. Maybe you should look up some facts, and get ur a$$ to that game. Go Phins!

Again, it's not apathy. Miami is a struggling economic city, with one of the worst poverty percentages in the nation, one of the worst average median income per household numbers, and one of the highest residential costs of living in the nation. Combine that with the terrible economy and the Miami Heat being one of the best teams in all of sports, and the Dolphins are competing with a limited amount of people with disposable income.

Stop trashing the people of Miami as "bad fans". The harsh reality is a lot of people cannot afford it, and would only make the sacrifice if the team was exciting.

I'm not trashing on you, and I know some people are legitimately struggling, but that's not the reason most fans don't go. They can afford to, but choose not to. Again, I'm not saying anone is required to, I just don't like the arbitrary excuses made for everyone in South Florida. Just be honest about it, all I'm saying, I respect that more.

The game will not be shown on TV in the local Dolphins market. If you live outside the Dolphins market, like I do(Pennsylvania), you will still be able to see the game. Basically means that if you live in Miami and the game is blacked out, you better get to the stadium if you want to watch it live.
I live in PA too, so we are safe? Only good thing about the Jets, lol

Back
Top Bottom