Blog- AFC East Preview:How far can the Phins go?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jun 21, 2010.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

http://thego.com.au/sports/nfl/967-afc-east-preview-2010-2011

2. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

This couldn't be a more true statement. I believe we have all the right pieces, the coaches just need to make sure they move in the proper direction.

3. 34miami23

34miami23 Well-Known Member

The "gunslinger" Chad Henne ...

I like the sound of that

4. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Well for once the Pats aren't the favorites. I guess that's different huh?

5. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

As far as they want.

6. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

If the talent on this team gels like the article says, the Phins can do really well this season. This upcoming season should be a good one for the Phins.

7. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Finheaven VIP Donator

hopefully odricks good enough to rip merling

8. Gofish1331

Gofish1331 Starter

Dude your "welcome to Miami" ROCKS!

9. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

There's no reason why Miami can't win the division.

The Saints had a losing record in 2007 and went 8-8 in 2008.

Nobody guessed they would go 16-3 last year and win the super bowl.

If the Giants can win the super bowl with Reggie Torbor and Gibril Wilson starting on their defense, and with an average secondary overall, we can definitely make some noise this year..

10. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

Thanks. ;)

11. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I think the Pats are still the favorite until someone besides them wins the division(in a year Brady is playing- no offense). I think this div race is going to be wide open and our teams have a good shot but I still favor the Pats.

12. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Right Now I still see us as the third best team until we prove otherwise. We definately are in the conversation but I think we have a huge question mark at both outside linebacker positions, uncertainity at the guard spots and a totally unproven safety starter.

13. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Faith my friends, and having the time to gel.. We hae all the tangibles....

14. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

The Keys to our season are Safety, Pass Rush, & Henne's progression.

15. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I understand your point, BUT, I think its clear that they are in a state of decline. It happens to every team that has had a great run. I believe that last season was their 'last hurrah'
    The Ravens beat them up in the playoffs and exposed them. They are an aging team with more questions than the Jets and Phins IMO.
    Football is won in the trenches and I don't think they match up with either the Phins or Jets in that dept. Their O-line at one time was a solid blue collar (but unspectacular) group that is getting old. The D-line is mostly Woolfork. The LB's are still a weakness (except for Mayo)
    Pioli was the architect of those championship teams and he is gone. BB is a good coach, but as he showed in Cleveland, nothing special as a talent evaluator

16. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

I couldn't agree with you more, BUT don't forget the Patriots have drafted a ton of players in the Top Rounds the last few years. Bellicheat has a better chance to reload, than any other team in the league.

Time will tell how well they drafted & developed.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

The Patriots have struggkled drafting for years so while they are doing a great job stockpiling picks they need to start hitting on those picks.

A team as great as they were losing the amount of players they have is absolutely in decline BUt they still have Brady who, if healthy, is the best QB in the game and that is HUGE.

I am hoping and expecting the jets to win the division but going into the season I think the Pats have earned enough respect to be considered the favorite heading into the season.

BB is great b/c of TB. W/o Brady he'd be a DC somewhere right now.

18. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Exactly. Thought they had another very mediocre draft - especially when considering the depth of the draft.

19. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

The two East divisions of the NFL are going to be dogfights this year. I think the AFC east could go to any of the three teams, with the Pats being the favorite (national media bias). The Jests have a big target on their back after going to the championship game, but with all that talent this might be a make or break year for them. The Phish have been steadily been putting the pieces in place for a couple of years so don't count them out... in fact I like their chances very much. To say "it's a make or break year for Parcells" is ludicrous when we were 1-15 just 4 years ago. I also like the low expectations, the underdog role (except by us phans).

20. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

1-15 was a LONG time ago, you guys have won a div title since then and the owner is saying this should be a SB team. Parcells has NEVER built a SB team, in years he has picked players his teams have wona total of ONE playoff game so w/ all he is being paid and w/ the high expectations I think there will be major changes in Miami if you guys have a similar year to last year. I think you will be better, I think you could be alot better but if things don't break right and you have another 7-9/8-8 type season I believe major changes are coming.

21. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I'd take Manning or Brees over Brady. Brady is a smart and accurate QB and can certainly guide an offense. But, his arm strength and velocity are average and he has an average delivery. When pressured he often makes inaccurate or underthrown passes
    and cannot throw off balance or off his back foot.
    He's not a physically dominant QB like an Elway or Marino. He needs to be in a good system or have good players around him. I'm not knocking him, but I believe he has a few blemishes. Manning can do anything Brady can do, but he also has a better arm, quicker release and is more mobile.

22. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Maybe today I'd take those guys but pre injury Brady was ahead of those 2 by miles.

Brady made that system, if they didn't find him Belichick would be a DC somewhere right now as he would have been fired aftre the '01 seaso that was headed down the same path as '00 before Brady rescued them.

What good players around him did he have during the SB? Troy Brown? he's a good 2nd or 3rd WR and he was his top WR, Antowain Smith? deion Branch? He had average talent not the elite talent Manning has had around him his entire career and once he got elite WRs like Moss around him he led his team to a 16-0 record and another SB berth.

Manning might be more physically gifted but his inability to perform in big spots compared to how great Brady has been seperates the two.

23. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Well-Known Member Donator

IMO the Pats will be strong. 25 draft picks last two years, Moss playing for a contract. Welker appears way ahead of schedule and Brady will be another year removed from his injury and I think they will get major production from one of the 2 rookie tightends. I see an offense on par w/ 2007. I see them taking the division again. With 2 firsts next year, we better do something this year (wildcard) Jets IMO will be lucky to go 8-8 with their schedule.