Blog- AFC East Preview:How far can the Phins go? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blog- AFC East Preview:How far can the Phins go?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins

Can a tuna lead the Dolphins to glory? Bill Parcells, the team’s head of football operations affectionately known as the Tuna, is in a make or break third year of his regime. His first year was superb, his second subpar. How far can the Dolphins go in 2010?
Miami fans have more to be thankful for this year than just sunshine and South Beach. For the first time in years, the Dolphins have a legitimate number 1 receiver in Brandon Marshall who was acquired in a trade from Denver this offseason. Marshall will replace Ted Ginn Jr., the first round bust who was traded to San Francisco this summer. Second year gunslinger Chad Henne got much needed experience last year and should be in better command of his team this season. He can rely on his pair of running backs, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, to keep the pressure off him while he develops a relationship with Marshall.
Miami’s defense will look significantly different than last year, especially the linebacking corps. Veterans Joey Porter (Arizona) and Jason Taylor (New York) are both gone. To replace them, the Dolphins signed Karlos Dansby to a five year, $43 million deal. First round pick Jared Odrick from Penn State University should help the team’s pass rush.
The Dolphins are really a wild card this year. They have all the pieces to compete for an AFC East crown, but if the talent doesn’t gel, these Dolphins and the Tuna will not be safe.
http://thego.com.au/sports/nfl/967-afc-east-preview-2010-2011

They have all the pieces to compete for an AFC East crown, but if the talent doesn’t gel, these Dolphins and the Tuna will not be safe.

This couldn't be a more true statement. I believe we have all the right pieces, the coaches just need to make sure they move in the proper direction.

If the talent on this team gels like the article says, the Phins can do really well this season. This upcoming season should be a good one for the Phins.

There's no reason why Miami can't win the division.

The Saints had a losing record in 2007 and went 8-8 in 2008.

Nobody guessed they would go 16-3 last year and win the super bowl.

If the Giants can win the super bowl with Reggie Torbor and Gibril Wilson starting on their defense, and with an average secondary overall, we can definitely make some noise this year..

Well for once the Pats aren't the favorites. I guess that's different huh?

I think the Pats are still the favorite until someone besides them wins the division(in a year Brady is playing- no offense). I think this div race is going to be wide open and our teams have a good shot but I still favor the Pats.

Right Now I still see us as the third best team until we prove otherwise. We definately are in the conversation but I think we have a huge question mark at both outside linebacker positions, uncertainity at the guard spots and a totally unproven safety starter.

The Keys to our season are Safety, Pass Rush, & Henne's progression.

I think the Pats are still the favorite until someone besides them wins the division(in a year Brady is playing- no offense). I think this div race is going to be wide open and our teams have a good shot but I still favor the Pats.

I understand your point, BUT, I think its clear that they are in a state of decline. It happens to every team that has had a great run. I believe that last season was their 'last hurrah'
The Ravens beat them up in the playoffs and exposed them. They are an aging team with more questions than the Jets and Phins IMO.
Football is won in the trenches and I don't think they match up with either the Phins or Jets in that dept. Their O-line at one time was a solid blue collar (but unspectacular) group that is getting old. The D-line is mostly Woolfork. The LB's are still a weakness (except for Mayo)
Pioli was the architect of those championship teams and he is gone. BB is a good coach, but as he showed in Cleveland, nothing special as a talent evaluator

Back
Top Bottom