Bobby McCain

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfanattic5, May 15, 2017.

1. dolfanattic5

dolfanattic5 you got chambered

i posted this on FB, but I'm curious as to your opinion on Bobby McCain. I absolutely trust Gase and this front office (way more than years past). Last year I was worried about our linebackers, but this year I'm nervous about our Slot CB. Really wish that we would've picked somebody up who could challenge McCain. I think you're fooling yourself if you think Maxwell, Lippett, or Tankersley can effectively play the slot. Howard could possibly, but he was drafted to play the boundary. I understand that Bobby improved down the stretch; however, at times he was lost and a huge liability. In Gase I Trust though.

2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I do see that as a big question mark as well. McCain does have talent, but he didn't play well last season. Maybe a better pass rush will help a bit in that regard as well.

3. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I think McCain would be a decent depth slot coner, but not really a starter on a team with playoff hopes.

LDaniel7 likes this.
  4. circumstances

circumstances Starter

Need an upgrade there.

5. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I am worried about our short passing defense the most regarding our linebackers and slot cb. Safety has me both curious and concerned from a health standpoint.
    On offense its still the offensive line thats the worry and then followed by the tight end area which just like the safties I am curious about and concerned from a health standpoint. Maybe the defensive coordinator should a area of concern too.

6. fisi

fisi A True Fan Donator

One name- Larry Hope ! This guy is really good but lost two years of playing. One after transfer and year before.

7. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

THIS.

LD

8. LDaniel7

McCain isn't great. At all.

But he does make the best "Oh, how could you drop that pass?" face ever! :biggrin

LD

9. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I pretty much totally agree with you, dolfanattic5, we need to upgrade from him, but he could be good depth. I like him more in the slot that Michael Thomas... I wonder about lafeyette pitts?? Maybe a competition for playing time.. But I also think that even though the team views Howard, Lippett, and Tankersly all as boundary, top 3 guys, I think Howard (of top 3 this year) is the best option to move inside. Lippett shouldn't, Maxwell shouldn't, but Howard might be versatile enough to make it work

10. Digital

Digital Starter

I like McCain, but he's not awesome or anything. To be honest one of the kids I really wanted to snag in round 7 or as an UDFA is a tiny Nickel CB named William Likely. He's about 5'7 .... maybe 5'6, but he's insanely quick and can cover the Edelman types. But we didn't go that route, so McCain is our starting Nickel.

I think Tankersley will get some snaps there too, but primarily he is going to be groomed as a boundary CB, like Howard, with Lippett being the 3rd guy in that rotation. For this season though, Maxwell is our #1 boundary CB, so Tankersley is going to be rotated in as a Nickel or Dime depending on how many injuries we suffer to our other boundary CB's.

These days you simply cannot have too many CB's. McCain is our best lateral-quickness guy, but he cannot cover those little quick guys really ... so we will just have to accept that guys like Edelman will always be open against us. But Bobby McCain does a decent job against most slot guys, so he's not a bad option to have.

Pandarilla likes this.
  11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

He got picked on in the red zone pretty bad last year. Seemed like they were usually TD's from 15-20 yards out.

He was good enough to garner boundary reps his rookie year. He's a Damn good cover man in the slot. Those guys have to be born with chips on their shoulders. Such a tough job, you kinda have to be a bit of a spaz to play it and that's not sustainable. They flame out pretty fast in this league.

Not only are they typically undersized, but they are expected by fans to handle the run also. They are easy targets for fans and every weekend has to seem like a mini reckoning for them.

I've watched a lot of football and I am of the opinion that you can't be so quick to sour on a talent like McCain. You'll boot him out too quickly, only for the next guy to do worse, then the next guy, until you wonder why the organization can't find one, then bam! Jamar Fletcher...

Bobby McCain can hang with any slot CB in this league. I don't question his heart or his knowledge as a lifelong cornerback. But don't make him lame, man. That kid deserves a hell of a lot of respect.

12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Interesting point about you're guy in the seventh. Isaiah Ford might be flawed value logic in the seventh. I, as well, was secretly hoping for some scatty CB's.

I watched the Voch Lombardi YouTube of Tankersly and he looks way better in press coverage. I'm glad we got him, like you said, you can't have enough of them. However, combining his lack of tackling prowess, with his propensity to hold, he might just be the last guy on the roster I'd consider for the slot.

But yeah, really would have liked to see a Corn Elder or Teez Tabor drafted this year.

Digital likes this.
  13. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

Maybe if our linebacker would lay out one or two of the Edleman types, our slot corner would have a better shot of covering the slot. You get slot receivers looking over his shoulder for a LB , he gets a little easier to cover.

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

In a division with the Patriots, who seem to hoard slot type WR, it would have been smart to get a slot type CB. We drafted plenty of defense but we ignored our own weaknesses in the process IMO. By that I mean we were horrible against the run but we draft a pass rusher in Harris who doesn't play the run well, a CB that doesn't tackle, and two late round DTs that are more known for getting upfield and after the QB than they are for their run stuffing ability.

The Dolphins say they self evaluate at the end of the season and make an assessment of needs and where they are but then the draft comes and it's like they ignore the majority of it.

mnphinfan likes this.
  15. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

He's young so he could get better in his 3rd year but I would definitely give him some competition. I'm also looking for improvement from Lafayette Pitts (5'10 200 lbs) in his second year.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

sign nikel roby coleman in camp. tank sure isn't a slot option

17. Digital

Digital Starter

Yeah, Voch Lombardi confuses Tankersley with Gareon Conely a few times, but his analysis is spot on. When Tankersley is able to get in the receiver's face and get physical he can be a great CB. But if asked to play off and read, that's not his strong suit. He needs to get into camp and buckle down so he can learn those situations better and move instinctively rather than panicking from lack of knowing what to do or falling behind the play and then grabbing. He also needs to take a more committed approach to tackling. Both of those things can be taught if Tankersley is willing to learn.

Pandarilla and Travis34 like this.
  18. thaemcee2

thaemcee2 B.A.M.F. 0321

He def. needs to play better to be a starter in this league yes, but let's see how an upgraded front 7 helps his play improve...FWIW our LB play was a borderline disaster last year and our lack of 2 starters at Safety most of the season didnt help anyone either...I like the kid and am rooting for him but am not sold at this point
    Plus theres this:
    mccain.jpg

LDaniel7 likes this.
  19. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

He signed with the Rams.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

well looks like bobby mccains gig it is then. barring a Lafayette pitts upset. or Miami deciding that x howard is it's best slot in the nickel

21. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I think Jordan Lucas was moved back to Cb as well. Played the slot at Penn St. A long shot, underdog I know....

22. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

McCain is my major question mark for this season too. I'm still hopeful he will become that slot CB our coaches believe he can be. In most cases, it takes 2-3 years before a DB settles in and plays to potential. Let's hope that proves to be right for McCain in his third year.

23. next-year

next-year MostHated

When my friend played against him in pre season during Mccain's rookie year he said Mccain had laughably stiff hips and let him do whatever he wanted against him. Ever since he told me that I can't un-see how tight his hips are on the field.

Pandarilla likes this.
  24. Digital

Digital Starter

Glad to see you back Hoops! We always appreciate your insight!

25. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This. The kid moves like the Exxon Valdez.

26. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

McCain scouting report:

Plays low with agile feet and sudden quickness…fluid hips and doesn’t struggle changing directions in transition…natural feel in coverage with terrific ball awareness

Room to clean up his pursuit angles with unreliable break down skills in space…half-hearted tackle attempts and doesn’t pack much power behind his pads

will lose his man in space and allow his eyes to get lost in the backfield…needs to improve his underneath anticipation to click-and-close sooner on slants, protecting against getting beat deep.

27. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Did he do enough to make an NFL roster? Just curious.

28. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

He makes a face like someone stole his momma's bag of groceries but he is too little to go after it.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  29. LDaniel7

It's obvious when he's on the field. Glaringly obvious.

He's a starter because Miami. Miami is gonna hurt in slot play this year, if depending on McCain and whatever poor soul is behind McCain on the depth chart. Another case of fourth or fifth string on a good team starting for Miami. And a slug backing up the position on the depth chart.

And I'm not as high on Howard as some people seem to be.

LD

30. LDaniel7

Miami Dolphins.

Cupboards so bare for years. Last year a couple injuries and they're pulling delivery guys off the street to start.

It's such an old story.

And each year they it seems like they cut talent that is better than someone they keep -- at a position of need. Not so bad as in the Philbin years, thankfully. But Miami.

LD

31. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I dunno. It seems like you need a new team to root for. Every thread youre giving us your dose of "reality" and a lot of times it seems like you are trying to find the cloud in every silver lining.

This team isn't perfect and, for me, slot is probably our weakest defensive position. But things genuinely are not as negative as you portray them to be, on this and many other team topics.

Gsmack_42, Rugged Man and HeavenCent like this.
  32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Separation out of cuts is mccains issue more than anything else
    But he did play better football to close the season

33. LDaniel7

It depends what your goal is: Just having a team to cheer for? Or, wanting your team to actually win divisions and championships?

My goal is the latter. Always has been -- and wanting to see good football on the field, and good football decisions off the field. Both have been sadly lacking.

Let's hope that has changed on both fronts as much as you think it has.

LD
    Edit: The discussions recently have honed in on players that I'm not particularly high on, for whatever reason -- which may sound like I'm unbalanced to the negative. I'm not always negative on players. Sometimes I'm majorly positive. Big time believer in RT17, btw.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  34. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Holy **** you're back! You still drink girly beers since we last saw you around these parts? :D

35. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

Dallas got a good slot CB with Jourdan Lewis. Without trading down in the first we didn't have the ammo to fill that need.

36. next-year

next-year MostHated

If you're talking about my friend yeah he's been in the league for 5 years now

Eesti likes this.
  37. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Well-Known Member

Lafayette Pitts will be one of my most watched players this preseason for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I'm not giving up on McCain, but I think that nickel battle will be closer than most expect.

rickd13 likes this.
  38. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Would be nice if someone stepped up out of nowhere

cmon man... just tell us!!!! (i know i know, you cant)

39. next-year

next-year MostHated

Hahaha believe me I would love to tell you guys

Travis34 likes this.
  40. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

Damn dude, you hit that on the mark throughout.

I also believe McCain has a tough job and takes a lot of heat because of it.

It's not an easy job at all.

Think about not having a sideline that you can eliminate from a boundary receiver.

I think McCain is a pretty good slot Cb. Just my opinion