Bobby McCain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bobby McCain

dolfanattic5

you got chambered
Super Donator
Reaction score
i posted this on FB, but I'm curious as to your opinion on Bobby McCain. I absolutely trust Gase and this front office (way more than years past). Last year I was worried about our linebackers, but this year I'm nervous about our Slot CB. Really wish that we would've picked somebody up who could challenge McCain. I think you're fooling yourself if you think Maxwell, Lippett, or Tankersley can effectively play the slot. Howard could possibly, but he was drafted to play the boundary. I understand that Bobby improved down the stretch; however, at times he was lost and a huge liability. In Gase I Trust though.

I do see that as a big question mark as well. McCain does have talent, but he didn't play well last season. Maybe a better pass rush will help a bit in that regard as well.

I think McCain would be a decent depth slot coner, but not really a starter on a team with playoff hopes.

I am worried about our short passing defense the most regarding our linebackers and slot cb. Safety has me both curious and concerned from a health standpoint.
On offense its still the offensive line thats the worry and then followed by the tight end area which just like the safties I am curious about and concerned from a health standpoint. Maybe the defensive coordinator should a area of concern too.

One name- Larry Hope ! This guy is really good but lost two years of playing. One after transfer and year before.

I pretty much totally agree with you, dolfanattic5, we need to upgrade from him, but he could be good depth. I like him more in the slot that Michael Thomas... I wonder about lafeyette pitts?? Maybe a competition for playing time.. But I also think that even though the team views Howard, Lippett, and Tankersly all as boundary, top 3 guys, I think Howard (of top 3 this year) is the best option to move inside. Lippett shouldn't, Maxwell shouldn't, but Howard might be versatile enough to make it work

I like McCain, but he's not awesome or anything. To be honest one of the kids I really wanted to snag in round 7 or as an UDFA is a tiny Nickel CB named William Likely. He's about 5'7 .... maybe 5'6, but he's insanely quick and can cover the Edelman types. But we didn't go that route, so McCain is our starting Nickel.

I think Tankersley will get some snaps there too, but primarily he is going to be groomed as a boundary CB, like Howard, with Lippett being the 3rd guy in that rotation. For this season though, Maxwell is our #1 boundary CB, so Tankersley is going to be rotated in as a Nickel or Dime depending on how many injuries we suffer to our other boundary CB's.

These days you simply cannot have too many CB's. McCain is our best lateral-quickness guy, but he cannot cover those little quick guys really ... so we will just have to accept that guys like Edelman will always be open against us. But Bobby McCain does a decent job against most slot guys, so he's not a bad option to have.

He got picked on in the red zone pretty bad last year. Seemed like they were usually TD's from 15-20 yards out.

He was good enough to garner boundary reps his rookie year. He's a Damn good cover man in the slot. Those guys have to be born with chips on their shoulders. Such a tough job, you kinda have to be a bit of a spaz to play it and that's not sustainable. They flame out pretty fast in this league.

Not only are they typically undersized, but they are expected by fans to handle the run also. They are easy targets for fans and every weekend has to seem like a mini reckoning for them.

I've watched a lot of football and I am of the opinion that you can't be so quick to sour on a talent like McCain. You'll boot him out too quickly, only for the next guy to do worse, then the next guy, until you wonder why the organization can't find one, then bam! Jamar Fletcher...

Bobby McCain can hang with any slot CB in this league. I don't question his heart or his knowledge as a lifelong cornerback. But don't make him lame, man. That kid deserves a hell of a lot of respect.

I like McCain, but he's not awesome or anything. To be honest one of the kids I really wanted to snag in round 7 or as an UDFA is a tiny Nickel CB named William Likely. He's about 5'7 .... maybe 5'6, but he's insanely quick and can cover the Edelman types. But we didn't go that route, so McCain is our starting Nickel.

I think Tankersley will get some snaps there too, but primarily he is going to be groomed as a boundary CB, like Howard, with Lippett being the 3rd guy in that rotation. For this season though, Maxwell is our #1 boundary CB, so Tankersley is going to be rotated in as a Nickel or Dime depending on how many injuries we suffer to our other boundary CB's.

These days you simply cannot have too many CB's. McCain is our best lateral-quickness guy, but he cannot cover those little quick guys really ... so we will just have to accept that guys like Edelman will always be open against us. But Bobby McCain does a decent job against most slot guys, so he's not a bad option to have.

Interesting point about you're guy in the seventh. Isaiah Ford might be flawed value logic in the seventh. I, as well, was secretly hoping for some scatty CB's.

I watched the Voch Lombardi YouTube of Tankersly and he looks way better in press coverage. I'm glad we got him, like you said, you can't have enough of them. However, combining his lack of tackling prowess, with his propensity to hold, he might just be the last guy on the roster I'd consider for the slot.

But yeah, really would have liked to see a Corn Elder or Teez Tabor drafted this year.

Maybe if our linebacker would lay out one or two of the Edleman types, our slot corner would have a better shot of covering the slot. You get slot receivers looking over his shoulder for a LB , he gets a little easier to cover.

In a division with the Patriots, who seem to hoard slot type WR, it would have been smart to get a slot type CB. We drafted plenty of defense but we ignored our own weaknesses in the process IMO. By that I mean we were horrible against the run but we draft a pass rusher in Harris who doesn't play the run well, a CB that doesn't tackle, and two late round DTs that are more known for getting upfield and after the QB than they are for their run stuffing ability.

The Dolphins say they self evaluate at the end of the season and make an assessment of needs and where they are but then the draft comes and it's like they ignore the majority of it.

He's young so he could get better in his 3rd year but I would definitely give him some competition. I'm also looking for improvement from Lafayette Pitts (5'10 200 lbs) in his second year.

Back
Top Bottom