Bonds formed during draft process help Matt Hazel | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bonds formed during draft process help Matt Hazel

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Throughout the draft process, college players create relationships with fellow prospects through private workouts and events such as the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. In the weeks and months leading up to the draft, bonds are formed as rookies go through the trials and tribulations of the toughest job interview around.

That was certainly the case for Dolphins sixth-round pick Matt Hazel. In a stroke of luck, some of the players he worked alongside on the way to Miami were also selected by the Dolphins.
In an interview The Finsiders, Hazel spoke about working alongside the rest of the Dolphins rookies and his connection with several of Miami’s draft picks.
One person he knows is cornerback Walt Aikens, Miami’s fourth-round selection out of Liberty. Playing at Coastal Carolina, Hazel faced off against Aikens several times, as both of their respective schools play in the Big South. In their most recent matchup, Hazel and the Chanticleers defeated Aikens and his Liberty Flames in a 55-52 shootout. Hazel got the better of Aikens a couple times, snagging 9 balls for 147 yards and 2 touchdowns.
Hazel makes sure Aikens doesn’t forget that that happened. It’s the typical wide receiver-defensive back relationship.
“We talk about it everyday,” said Hazel. “The thing is that me and Walt, it’s crazy, we’re like best friends. We don’t let the past (rivalries) dictate it. We’ll talk about it joke around a little bit but we’re teammates now. It was really exciting when we both got drafted by the Dolphins. We’ll probably end up being roommates (in training camp) and we’ll talk about (our games) all the time.”

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/connections-to-dolphins-draft-class-helping-hazel-adapt

I don't know much about Hazel and don't have very high expectations for him. Low expectations are good - he could be set to surprise us all. I wish him every possible success. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How fast is he?

we drafted a CB that can't cover a guy who won't make the roster. ugh

Here's a couple of articles from his hometown area:

Surprise pick by the Miami Dolphins

Hazel said he actually expected to be picked by the New York Jets. He knew they had interest, as well as three picks in the sixth round. He recalled that the first of those Jets’ picks were 10 away when his phone rang and his caller ID displayed a Miami area code.

The Dolphins were surprised Hazel was still available, as he said they told him they expected him to be picked in either the fourth or fifth round.

“They didn’t think I’d last that long,” Hazel said, adding he was told he’ll have the chance to compete for playing time. “They said it’s wide open.”

Miami’s move shows that there was a good amount of interest in Hazel.

Much of that is because of his performance at Coastal Carolina, where he owns the program record for receptions with 183 and was a four-year starter. He’s coming off a season where he helped lead the Chanticleers to their best results ever, recording 70 receptions for 990 yards and nine touchdowns.

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. raved about Hazel, commending his ability to catch the ball.

“Body control is excellent. I love the way he tracks the ball when going vertically,” Kiper said during ESPN’s draft coverage. “He’s got good hands, decent speed. ... He will make Miami’s football team.”

http://www.northaugustastar.com/article/20140513/STAR01/140519716/1049

According to Nolan Nawrocki of NFL.com, the First-Team All Big South performer had a solid showing at the NFL Combine, which was held at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind.

“(Hazel is) A smooth, fluid, athletic small-school receiver with the hands, body control and concentration to earn a roster spot and develop into a solid contributor,” Nawrocki said of Hazel who's coming off a season where he had 70 receptions for 990 yards and nine touchdowns.

Hazel produced some more impressive stats at the combine, including:

• An official 4.50 second 40-yard dash

• 15 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press

• A 36½ inch vertical jump

• A 9'8” broad jump

The former Yellow Jacket's numbers put him in the middle of the pack of the wide receivers, although his repetitions of 225 pounds were only four off the lead.

“(I'm) Really excited, it's always been a dream of mine to play a professional sport,” Hazel said. “From a training aspect, I just want to become a better route runner, get faster, stronger and more explosive, and grasp the mental aspect of the game.”

The NFL Draft will take place from May 8-10 in New York City.

It's just the latest event in a busy stretch for Hazel. He played in the East-West Shrine Game, becoming just the third Coastal Carolina player to be selected for the prestigious all-star event. Former teammate Josh Norman and NFL receiver Jerome Simpson are the only other Chants to play in the Shrine Game. Hazel made the most of his appearance, catching a touchdown.

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20140303/AIK0301/140309858

I saw him in person at the Fargo dome. He made a great acrobatic catch over a defender. Looked the part to me.

sorry I got your panties in a knot

Yeah, I don't think you are. Someone called you out for turning a nice story about a late-round pick into a negative about a completely different player.

You were being negative for no damned good reason, and you got called on it.

Deal.

I don't know much about Hazel and don't have very high expectations for him. Low expectations are good - he could be set to surprise us all. I wish him every possible success. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How fast is he?
I forget what I had learned about him, but he is fast. I think he supposedly had good hands too. Problem was the nuances...route running and the mental stuff, so he will take time if he becomes anything. If he can get open in the NFL his talent will take care of the rest, but he was not looking good early in OTA's, so don't expect him to take the NFL by storm just yet. Project. Another project...more potential.

Back
Top Bottom