Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

Remy_Basara_UK

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/saban/saban_column.asp

"So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. :tantrum: Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team. :confused:

So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

(Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out :tongue: ).

I know this may be an unpopular thing to say, but leave it to Nick Saban to have such a big ego as to think that the fans who pay his salary, also work for him.

Listen I see what he is saying and I see what ya'll are saying and yes, it does help the football team when the fans are supportive and do not boo the team, etc. Buffalo's a great example, if everyone starts booing mercilessly maybe we don't make that comeback.

But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

If I like to shop at Wal-Mart, and am a big fan of the store, and I buy something defective, I'm still taking it straight back to the customer service counter and getting my refund. Would I listen to a Wal-Mart CEO try and tell me that if I like the store and like shopping there, please stop taking defective items back for refunds? Heck no.

So in short, fans do whatever it is they feel like doing. That's their god-given right. They pay money for a product. If they are unhappy with the product they can certainly voice their displeasure over it if they want...as long as they realize that simply voicing their displeasure makes turning that bad product into a good product just a little bit harder than if they cheered for the team unconditionally as if they were competing at the Special Olympics (where you're a winner as long as you just try hard).

Staying till the end of that Buffalo game last year was a damn good decision for me. I still remember how the stadium got louder than I've ever heard it while being only 1/4 full at best.

Remy_Basara_UK said:
I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/saban/saban_column.asp

"So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. :tantrum: Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team. :confused:

So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

(Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out :tongue: ).
The wife and I flew out to that game. Boy did that suck(Thank god for wine country). We have season tix and never leave before 0:00 cheering all the way. The thing that really pisses me off is when our fans boo our team for something. No excuse for that, I don't care what the circumstance.:fire:

I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.

ckparrothead said:
But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.
Tell that to the KC fans. I'm sure a W or two could be contributed to their help.

miamirick said:
I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.

Exactly. Nobody should be getting down on you for that kind of thing. Instead, the team is really to blame. If the team is playing so poorly that getting out of the game a little early and trying to beat the traffic becomes more important to fans than watching every second of the game...that's on the team, not the fan who paid the money.

miamirick said:

How could you be giving your heart and soul to a team but at the same time leave when times get rough? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

On second though CK is right. Saban is paid to have the players prepared and the players are paid to execute. They get what they deserve. If you spend money to go watch your team compete and they don't then give'em hell. If I was Wayne I would give every season ticket holder for the 4-12 campaign where we watched a season of whinning and sucking and QUITTING I would give PSL's for at least 2 seasons.

Hey Coach, I was there till the end !!!!!!
clear.gif

I was there. no coach likes boo-ers, no owner likes boo-ers, the fact is its ineviteable. I am not a boo type guy, I felt that the crowds at the stadium recently have been good, and justified in there reactions. this is the second year of consistency that we are expereincing ( not even done yet) so I say give it soe time the fans will get better along with team.

If any of you have ever played organized sports in your life you would see where Saban is comming from and applaud his efforts. Players feed off positive/negative crowd noise, it is in there nature - it is akin to a sixth sense. If you take the positive energy away from them, you are hurting the team and providing a spark for the opposing team who will feed off of the negative energy. Not good.

Thats an interesting (and very well explained!) perspective actually CK. I agree with most of what you say, and the Walmart example is a good one, but I still think there's a difference.. which I'll try to explain.

I think there are deficiencies in the use of the english language here about how to explain it though. But I will have a go with what I've got to work with. :wink:

I think the key thing that maybe the difference is between a fan and a supporter.

"But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win."

And I would argue that for a 'supporter', its the opposite. A supporter does attend the games to HELP their team win. But win or lose, will be entertained just the same & enjoy the actual activity of supporting their team.

I think I'm a fan of the NFL in general, but I think I am pretty close to being a supporter of the Dolphins based on these definitions. (Which I agree are far from the real world usage of these words, but I'm just using them to try and explain my point. And possible this is Saban's view point too. However he uses the two terms interchangeably as I would normally too).

I suspect it maybe partially a cultural difference for me too. Many soccer fans in this country actually go to see their local teams that are effectively nobodies in the bottom leagues and will never get anywhere, purely to support them. Specifically they go because their money is going into that team. They watch the team every season, sometimes merely so it survives financially. Whilst I hate soccer (and the finances behind it actually!), having seen this kind of team identity support all around me growing up, so that probably colours my opinion of how to be a 'fan' or a 'supporter' of a team.

Exactly. Fans already give so much to these players (and coaches and owners) to where it adds up to unfathomable salaries and equity. Now, if the team loses, the fans are to blame?

I can see why Saban implores the fans to help him out. His job is to win games and he'll do anything to accomplish that job. If imploring the fans not to boo would help him do his job, why not do it?

But I'm sure he'd also understand if we, as fans, say...coach, you go ahead and coach your team and tell them how to be football players, we'll go ahead and pay your salary, but there's no need for you to coach us on how to be good fans.

Back
Top Bottom