Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Remy_Basara_UK, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Remy_Basara_UK

Remy_Basara_UK Active Member

I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/saban/saban_column.asp

"So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. :tantrum: Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team. :confused:

So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

(Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out :tongue: ).

2. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

Right on.

3. FIN-IN-RI

FIN-IN-RI Banned Hammered

That was awesome.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I know this may be an unpopular thing to say, but leave it to Nick Saban to have such a big ego as to think that the fans who pay his salary, also work for him.

Listen I see what he is saying and I see what ya'll are saying and yes, it does help the football team when the fans are supportive and do not boo the team, etc. Buffalo's a great example, if everyone starts booing mercilessly maybe we don't make that comeback.

But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

If I like to shop at Wal-Mart, and am a big fan of the store, and I buy something defective, I'm still taking it straight back to the customer service counter and getting my refund. Would I listen to a Wal-Mart CEO try and tell me that if I like the store and like shopping there, please stop taking defective items back for refunds? Heck no.

So in short, fans do whatever it is they feel like doing. That's their god-given right. They pay money for a product. If they are unhappy with the product they can certainly voice their displeasure over it if they want...as long as they realize that simply voicing their displeasure makes turning that bad product into a good product just a little bit harder than if they cheered for the team unconditionally as if they were competing at the Special Olympics (where you're a winner as long as you just try hard).

5. Caps

Caps At the End of the Day

Staying till the end of that Buffalo game last year was a damn good decision for me. I still remember how the stadium got louder than I've ever heard it while being only 1/4 full at best.

6. fins1

fins1 Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6 Finheaven VIP

The wife and I flew out to that game. Boy did that suck(Thank god for wine country). We have season tix and never leave before 0:00 cheering all the way. The thing that really pisses me off is when our fans boo our team for something. No excuse for that, I don't care what the circumstance.:fire:

7. miamirick

miamirick Seasoned Veteran

I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.

8. fins1

Tell that to the KC fans. I'm sure a W or two could be contributed to their help.

9. ckparrothead

Exactly. Nobody should be getting down on you for that kind of thing. Instead, the team is really to blame. If the team is playing so poorly that getting out of the game a little early and trying to beat the traffic becomes more important to fans than watching every second of the game...that's on the team, not the fan who paid the money.

10. FIN-IN-RI

How could you be giving your heart and soul to a team but at the same time leave when times get rough? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

11. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

On second though CK is right. Saban is paid to have the players prepared and the players are paid to execute. They get what they deserve. If you spend money to go watch your team compete and they don't then give'em hell. If I was Wayne I would give every season ticket holder for the 4-12 campaign where we watched a season of whinning and sucking and QUITTING I would give PSL's for at least 2 seasons.

12. A Wing Pilot

A Wing Pilot Section:445 Row:19 Seat:1&2

Hey Coach, I was there till the end !!!!!!
    [​IMG]

I was there. no coach likes boo-ers, no owner likes boo-ers, the fact is its ineviteable. I am not a boo type guy, I felt that the crowds at the stadium recently have been good, and justified in there reactions. this is the second year of consistency that we are expereincing ( not even done yet) so I say give it soe time the fans will get better along with team.

13. FIN-IN-RI

If any of you have ever played organized sports in your life you would see where Saban is comming from and applaud his efforts. Players feed off positive/negative crowd noise, it is in there nature - it is akin to a sixth sense. If you take the positive energy away from them, you are hurting the team and providing a spark for the opposing team who will feed off of the negative energy. Not good.

14. Remy_Basara_UK

Thats an interesting (and very well explained!) perspective actually CK. I agree with most of what you say, and the Walmart example is a good one, but I still think there's a difference.. which I'll try to explain.

I think there are deficiencies in the use of the english language here about how to explain it though. But I will have a go with what I've got to work with. :wink:

I think the key thing that maybe the difference is between a fan and a supporter.

"But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win."

And I would argue that for a 'supporter', its the opposite. A supporter does attend the games to HELP their team win. But win or lose, will be entertained just the same & enjoy the actual activity of supporting their team.

I think I'm a fan of the NFL in general, but I think I am pretty close to being a supporter of the Dolphins based on these definitions. (Which I agree are far from the real world usage of these words, but I'm just using them to try and explain my point. And possible this is Saban's view point too. However he uses the two terms interchangeably as I would normally too).

I suspect it maybe partially a cultural difference for me too. Many soccer fans in this country actually go to see their local teams that are effectively nobodies in the bottom leagues and will never get anywhere, purely to support them. Specifically they go because their money is going into that team. They watch the team every season, sometimes merely so it survives financially. Whilst I hate soccer (and the finances behind it actually!), having seen this kind of team identity support all around me growing up, so that probably colours my opinion of how to be a 'fan' or a 'supporter' of a team.

15. ckparrothead

Exactly. Fans already give so much to these players (and coaches and owners) to where it adds up to unfathomable salaries and equity. Now, if the team loses, the fans are to blame?

I can see why Saban implores the fans to help him out. His job is to win games and he'll do anything to accomplish that job. If imploring the fans not to boo would help him do his job, why not do it?

But I'm sure he'd also understand if we, as fans, say...coach, you go ahead and coach your team and tell them how to be football players, we'll go ahead and pay your salary, but there's no need for you to coach us on how to be good fans.

16. FIN-IN-RI

And I agree with this especially. It depends on the state of the organization as a whole. We all like the direction this team is headed and we should respond accordingly.

17. rafael

rafael Hall Of Famer

Sorry, by definition a fan places a very high priority on supporting their team and helping them win. If you place a higher priority on beating the traffic then you are less of a fan than someone who prioritizes staying and helping the team.

18. fin1

fin1 Guest

Right on brother I'm there with you. I missed Dan's comeback in INDY and I've never forgave myself or it. Boo to you CK and miamirick. I suppose it's because you are conviently close to the stadium.:shakeno:

19. SoDakDolfan

SoDakDolfan Land Locked Dolfan

Being booed does not help an athlete or a team or an organization perform better. Everybody seems so concerned about their 'God-given rights' that they don't even take time to think about what is right or best for the team they say they love or the people that are a part of it.

20. FIN-IN-RI

Absolutely.

Also, I would like to add that equating money into the equation is pure BS.

Whoever said that there is a cultural difference was on the right track, apparently. It's very different up here in terms of sports fandom.

21. fin1

fin1 Guest

All I can tell you is that what I hear from other NFL fans is that we have fair weather fans in Miami. If you think that's not true you living in a fish bowl. (no pun intended)

22. Remy_Basara_UK

I don't think its about being less or more of a fan actually & I'm certainly NOT intending to say that to anyone. You obviously really love your Dolphins too!

I'll just don't think I'll ever quite understand is all...

But I think CK's post is starting to help me get it how others do see it, but I'm not completely there yet.

But do you understand the other side of the coin too?

23. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

great article

24. fins1

Exactly!!!

25. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I understand your point.. But I didnt get a ego feel from his column. i just feel its just another coach, just trying to get fans pumped and to encourage them to rah rah rah.

On a side note there were a few games last year where i remember the commentators saying how Pro Players Stadium isnt very intimidation to opposing teams. I found that disappointing.

26. Remy_Basara_UK

Yep.. it was one horrible game. 2002 was it? I forget the details easily. I flew out from England too of course.. for my first live Dolphins game after being a fan for about 10 years I'd finally got enough money to go to the States for a game... you can imagine how excited I was, and how horrible it was to get there late etc. I dropped over 2000 pounds (nearly 3500 dollars? Not checked the exchange rates recently!) on that trip too.

But I still actually got a LOT of enjoyment from the game. Getting razzed by those Whiner fans and watching them clam up when I talked back to them and they realised how far I'd travelled to come and support my team was excellent. Seeing the players in real life for the first time too was pretty incredible... slagging off their pathetic excuse for a stadium.. my Jets & Packers fan mates actually being 'on my side' for once... its given me some great memories. Anyway, I'm at risk of really de-railing this thread now so I will leave the reminiscing session here. :D

27. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

Really, ever heard of the 12th man?? Why do teams play for homefield advantadge in the playoffs if the fans don't help? I don't think you understand the concept. Saban not only has to change the mentality of the players, but the fans aswell. Negativity is negativity, booing your team in their own house is a serious problem. Saban is trying to make the fans aware of the effect they have on the players psyche. If you can understand the teams that win at home win because of the crowd, why can't the opposite have the opposite effect?? Saban wouldn't be wasting his breath if there wasn't some validity in his statement. Whens the last time you saw an NFC or AFC champion booed in the championship game???

28. FIN-IN-RI

This is true and it hasn't been for a good while. I don't care what inflated stats people through about attendance at Dolphins Stadium, it's just hasn't been a good Home atmosphere ad it has a lot to do with why Saban wrote this piece in the first place. I hope things change this year!

29. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

i pay alot of money for my tickets and if the team is performing badly, i will boo. this applies to all sporting events i go to.

30. FIN-IN-RI

Yep.

31. FIN-IN-RI

There are appropriate times to boo teams, like when you want to see a change in philosphy and to send a message to ownership (see: Wanny era, team took a backwards step every year) but not now, not this year.

32. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

nope. i can boo whenever the hell i want too. it sends a message that the fans are displeased with your performance.

33. FIN-IN-RI

Sure you can.

34. Flame

Flame FinHeaven VIP

I can't goto the games, but I still yell and stuff at the TV. Does that count :\ I watch the full thing, until the game is over. I love watching my Dolphins play football, and always wishing for a comeback.

35. fin1

fin1 Guest

I wonder how much they boo in Green Bay.:shakeno:

36. FIN-IN-RI

This is true to an extent. If a player is consistently performing bad week after week then I don't blame you. I'm basically talking to people that take one bad play, magnify it, and make mountains out of mole hills. Players have bad games and it comes with the territory but unless the guy isn't showing any will to win or his bad play is shown on a consistent basis I won't bash him.

37. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

Saban doesn't need to be telling us how to be good fans. Win football games, and the players / coaches wont have worry about getting booed. End of story....

If anyone here can show me evidence, proving that booing creates a negative effect on the players, please feel free to do so. Until then, I'll boo when I feel it's appropriate. Thanks....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

38. mtldolfan

mtldolfan Rookie

I really take my hat off to Nick Saban for putting the onus on the fans to step our respective 'games' and get behind the team 100 percent. I've loved the Fins since I was 10 but I always envied other teams, like KC, Denver and Indy (among others) that have ridiculously noisy stadiums and have fans that really act as the '12th man' when their team is making a defensive stand and making it ridiculously hard for the opposing team to hear anything. As a whole, we've got a long way to go before we reach that level of fan support.

As fans, we're so quick to criticize our team or its players, when we never look at ourselves and the efforts we contribute on gameday. Saban should be applauded for once again taking the intiative and getting fans more involved in the game.

39. FIN-IN-RI

So you don't believe that a positive atmosphere/energy helps players perform?

If no, have you ever played organized sports before?

40. miamirick

miamirick Seasoned Veteran

I find it interesting how for the most part, the fans that normally start these types of discussions are those that don't live here in South Florida. Yes I understand how you can ask "How would any REAL fan leave a game that hasn't ended yet?" But is a completely out of hand game, not essentially over? If you'll remember my previous statement, I said that I would never leave a game in which there was a legit chance of coming back...but are you going to tell me that a team down by say, 28 with 4 minutes left has a legit chance of coming back? Highly unlikely...So yes, I'm taking off.

Maybe its because out of towners don't get to go to as many games as they would like and feel that we "in-towners" take it for granted, but I can tell you this....It happens in EVERY SINGLE STADIUM in just about EVERY SINGLE SPORT. I know soccer fans are a different breed, you guys are just nuts...but it is what it is.

As far as equating money to support being BS??? Again, thats easy for a person that attends one game every two or three years to say, but while I was a season ticket holder I would easily drop a couple G's a season...now, I would say that I drop somewhere around 500 a season, maybe a bit more (I don't exactly keep a running total). That "non-support" helps to pay for the guys we watch on Sundays.

Finally, I do have to disagree a bit with CK on one point...without a doubt, the fans do play a role when it comes to helping the home team. A loud croud helps to disrupt an opposing offense and really does get the team pumped up. I can understand Saban's point about booing...its counterproductive. But loud crowds don't do much when a team is getting its azz kicked.