Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

A Wing Pilot said:
Hey Coach, I was there till the end !!!!!!
http://www.dolphin-town.com/final.jpg

I was there. no coach likes boo-ers, no owner likes boo-ers, the fact is its ineviteable. I am not a boo type guy, I felt that the crowds at the stadium recently have been good, and justified in there reactions. this is the second year of consistency that we are expereincing ( not even done yet) so I say give it soe time the fans will get better along with team.

And I agree with this especially. It depends on the state of the organization as a whole. We all like the direction this team is headed and we should respond accordingly.

Sorry, by definition a fan places a very high priority on supporting their team and helping them win. If you place a higher priority on beating the traffic then you are less of a fan than someone who prioritizes staying and helping the team.

fins1 said:
Tell that to the KC fans. I'm sure a W or two could be contributed to their help.

Right on brother I'm there with you. I missed Dan's comeback in INDY and I've never forgave myself or it. Boo to you CK and miamirick. I suppose it's because you are conviently close to the stadium.:shakeno:

Being booed does not help an athlete or a team or an organization perform better. Everybody seems so concerned about their 'God-given rights' that they don't even take time to think about what is right or best for the team they say they love or the people that are a part of it.

rafael said:
Sorry, by definition a fan places a very high priority on supporting their team and helping them win. If you place a higher priority on beating the traffic then you are less of a fan than someone who prioritizes staying and helping the team.

Absolutely.

Also, I would like to add that equating money into the equation is pure BS.

Whoever said that there is a cultural difference was on the right track, apparently. It's very different up here in terms of sports fandom.

ckparrothead said:
Exactly. Fans already give so much to these players (and coaches and owners) to where it adds up to unfathomable salaries and equity. Now, if the team loses, the fans are to blame?

I can see why Saban implores the fans to help him out. His job is to win games and he'll do anything to accomplish that job. If imploring the fans not to boo would help him do his job, why not do it?

But I'm sure he'd also understand if we, as fans, say...coach, you go ahead and coach your team and tell them how to be football players, we'll go ahead and pay your salary, but there's no need for you to coach us on how to be good fans.

All I can tell you is that what I hear from other NFL fans is that we have fair weather fans in Miami. If you think that's not true you living in a fish bowl. (no pun intended)

miamirick said:
And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...

I don't think its about being less or more of a fan actually & I'm certainly NOT intending to say that to anyone. You obviously really love your Dolphins too!

I'll just don't think I'll ever quite understand is all...

But I think CK's post is starting to help me get it how others do see it, but I'm not completely there yet.

But do you understand the other side of the coin too?

SoDakDolfan said:
Being booed does not help an athlete or a team or an organization perform better. Everybody seems so concerned about their 'God-given rights' that they don't even take time to think about what is right or best for the team they say they love or the people that are a part of it.

Exactly!!!

ckparrothead said:
I know this may be an unpopular thing to say, but leave it to Nick Saban to have such a big ego as to think that the fans who pay his salary, also work for him.

Listen I see what he is saying and I see what ya'll are saying and yes, it does help the football team when the fans are supportive and do not boo the team, etc. Buffalo's a great example, if everyone starts booing mercilessly maybe we don't make that comeback.

But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

If I like to shop at Wal-Mart, and am a big fan of the store, and I buy something defective, I'm still taking it straight back to the customer service counter and getting my refund. Would I listen to a Wal-Mart CEO try and tell me that if I like the store and like shopping there, please stop taking defective items back for refunds? Heck no.

So in short, fans do whatever it is they feel like doing. That's their god-given right. They pay money for a product. If they are unhappy with the product they can certainly voice their displeasure over it if they want...as long as they realize that simply voicing their displeasure makes turning that bad product into a good product just a little bit harder than if they cheered for the team unconditionally as if they were competing at the Special Olympics (where you're a winner as long as you just try hard).

I understand your point.. But I didnt get a ego feel from his column. i just feel its just another coach, just trying to get fans pumped and to encourage them to rah rah rah.

On a side note there were a few games last year where i remember the commentators saying how Pro Players Stadium isnt very intimidation to opposing teams. I found that disappointing.

fins1 said:
The wife and I flew out to that game. Boy did that suck(Thank god for wine country). We have season tix and never leave before 0:00 cheering all the way. The thing that really pisses me off is when our fans boo our team for something. No excuse for that, I don't care what the circumstance.:fire:

Yep.. it was one horrible game. 2002 was it? I forget the details easily. I flew out from England too of course.. for my first live Dolphins game after being a fan for about 10 years I'd finally got enough money to go to the States for a game... you can imagine how excited I was, and how horrible it was to get there late etc. I dropped over 2000 pounds (nearly 3500 dollars? Not checked the exchange rates recently!) on that trip too.

But I still actually got a LOT of enjoyment from the game. Getting razzed by those Whiner fans and watching them clam up when I talked back to them and they realised how far I'd travelled to come and support my team was excellent. Seeing the players in real life for the first time too was pretty incredible... slagging off their pathetic excuse for a stadium.. my Jets & Packers fan mates actually being 'on my side' for once... its given me some great memories. Anyway, I'm at risk of really de-railing this thread now so I will leave the reminiscing session here. :D

ckparrothead said:
But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

Really, ever heard of the 12th man?? Why do teams play for homefield advantadge in the playoffs if the fans don't help? I don't think you understand the concept. Saban not only has to change the mentality of the players, but the fans aswell. Negativity is negativity, booing your team in their own house is a serious problem. Saban is trying to make the fans aware of the effect they have on the players psyche. If you can understand the teams that win at home win because of the crowd, why can't the opposite have the opposite effect?? Saban wouldn't be wasting his breath if there wasn't some validity in his statement. Whens the last time you saw an NFC or AFC champion booed in the championship game???

Canadianfishfan said:
I understand your point.. But I didnt get a ego feel from his column. i just feel its just another coach, just trying to get fans pumped and to encourage them to rah rah rah.

On a side note there were a few games last year where i remember the commentators saying how Pro Players Stadium isnt very intimidation to opposing teams. I found that disappointing.

This is true and it hasn't been for a good while. I don't care what inflated stats people through about attendance at Dolphins Stadium, it's just hasn't been a good Home atmosphere ad it has a lot to do with why Saban wrote this piece in the first place. I hope things change this year!

i pay alot of money for my tickets and if the team is performing badly, i will boo. this applies to all sporting events i go to.

feelthepain said:
Really, ever heard of the 12th man?? Why do teams play for homefield advantadge in the playoffs if the fans don't help? I don't think you understand the concept. Saban not only has to change the mentality of the players, but the fans aswell. Negativity is negativity, booing your team in their own house is a serious problem. Saban is trying to make the fans aware of the effect they have on the players psyche. If you can understand the teams that win at home win because of the crowd, why can't the opposite have the opposite effect?? Saban wouldn't be wasting his breath if there wasn't some validity in his statement. Whens the last time you saw an NFC or AFC champion booed in the championship game???

Yep.

Back
Top Bottom