Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

death7star said:
i pay alot of money for my tickets and if the team is performing badly, i will boo. this applies to all sporting events i go to.
There are appropriate times to boo teams, like when you want to see a change in philosphy and to send a message to ownership (see: Wanny era, team took a backwards step every year) but not now, not this year.

FiN.in.RI said:
There are appropriate times to boo teams, like when you want to see a change in philosphy and to send a message to ownership (see: Wanny era, team took a backwards step every year) but not now, not this year.
nope. i can boo whenever the hell i want too. it sends a message that the fans are displeased with your performance.

I can't goto the games, but I still yell and stuff at the TV. Does that count :\ I watch the full thing, until the game is over. I love watching my Dolphins play football, and always wishing for a comeback.

death7star said:
i pay alot of money for my tickets and if the team is performing badly, i will boo. this applies to all sporting events i go to.

I wonder how much they boo in Green Bay.:shakeno:

death7star said:
it sends a message that the fans are displeased with your performance.

This is true to an extent. If a player is consistently performing bad week after week then I don't blame you. I'm basically talking to people that take one bad play, magnify it, and make mountains out of mole hills. Players have bad games and it comes with the territory but unless the guy isn't showing any will to win or his bad play is shown on a consistent basis I won't bash him.

Saban doesn't need to be telling us how to be good fans. Win football games, and the players / coaches wont have worry about getting booed. End of story....

If anyone here can show me evidence, proving that booing creates a negative effect on the players, please feel free to do so. Until then, I'll boo when I feel it's appropriate. Thanks....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I really take my hat off to Nick Saban for putting the onus on the fans to step our respective 'games' and get behind the team 100 percent. I've loved the Fins since I was 10 but I always envied other teams, like KC, Denver and Indy (among others) that have ridiculously noisy stadiums and have fans that really act as the '12th man' when their team is making a defensive stand and making it ridiculously hard for the opposing team to hear anything. As a whole, we've got a long way to go before we reach that level of fan support.

As fans, we're so quick to criticize our team or its players, when we never look at ourselves and the efforts we contribute on gameday. Saban should be applauded for once again taking the intiative and getting fans more involved in the game.

BLITZKRIEG said:
Saban doesn't need to be telling us how to be good fans. Win football games, and the players / coaches wont have worry about getting booed. End of story....

If anyone here can show me evidence, proving that booing creates a negative effect on the players, please feel free to do so. Until then, I'll boo when I feel it's appropriate. Thanks....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

So you don't believe that a positive atmosphere/energy helps players perform?

If no, have you ever played organized sports before?

fin1 said:
Right on brother I'm there with you. I missed Dan's comeback in INDY and I've never forgave myself or it. Boo to you CK and miamirick. I suppose it's because you are conviently close to the stadium.:shakeno:

I find it interesting how for the most part, the fans that normally start these types of discussions are those that don't live here in South Florida. Yes I understand how you can ask "How would any REAL fan leave a game that hasn't ended yet?" But is a completely out of hand game, not essentially over? If you'll remember my previous statement, I said that I would never leave a game in which there was a legit chance of coming back...but are you going to tell me that a team down by say, 28 with 4 minutes left has a legit chance of coming back? Highly unlikely...So yes, I'm taking off.

Maybe its because out of towners don't get to go to as many games as they would like and feel that we "in-towners" take it for granted, but I can tell you this....It happens in EVERY SINGLE STADIUM in just about EVERY SINGLE SPORT. I know soccer fans are a different breed, you guys are just nuts...but it is what it is.

As far as equating money to support being BS??? Again, thats easy for a person that attends one game every two or three years to say, but while I was a season ticket holder I would easily drop a couple G's a season...now, I would say that I drop somewhere around 500 a season, maybe a bit more (I don't exactly keep a running total). That "non-support" helps to pay for the guys we watch on Sundays.

Finally, I do have to disagree a bit with CK on one point...without a doubt, the fans do play a role when it comes to helping the home team. A loud croud helps to disrupt an opposing offense and really does get the team pumped up. I can understand Saban's point about booing...its counterproductive. But loud crowds don't do much when a team is getting its azz kicked.

If your going to boo and leave the game dont come at all, your not wanted, find another team

Simple as that to me

FiN.in.RI said:
So you don't believe that a positive atmosphere/energy helps players perform?

If no, have you ever played organized sports before?

I played organized sports. I enjoy the cheers, but I always viewed the crowd as something that I controlled not that controlled me.

miamirick said:
As far as equating money to support being BS??? Again, thats easy for a person that attends one game every two or three years to say, but while I was a season ticket holder I would easily drop a couple G's a season...now, I would say that I drop somewhere around 500 a season, maybe a bit more (I don't exactly keep a running total). That "non-support" helps to pay for the guys we watch on Sundays.

THe reason why I say that bringing money into it is BS is because you as a fan love football. If you didn't you wouldn't pay a couple G's a year see your favorite team play. I also say it is BS because relevent to Saban's article, he just wants to create a winning atmosphere for his team. If the people in the stands go to the game and spew out negative energy then not only are you negatively impacting a teams chance to win the game, you're wasting your money!

HOLY MOLY... I cant believe how PERSONAL people take Sabans comments. All this "I'll boo if I want to" stuff.

All Saban is saying.. is what EVERY coach say in any sport. Is to come out and cheer on the team. If you take it as some sort of jab at fans for booing or whatnot.. Then you need to ensure your taking your mediaction. There nothing wrong with Saban trying to instill the type of atmosphere where the crowd is large and in charge and super loud the opposing teams have problems running plays. There are stadiums thats are feared.. not just because of deliquent fans... but because they have loud passionate fans. And by the way.. Those loud passionate fans boo too when they feel like it.
But when I hear that opposing fans are just as loud as Dolphans in Pro Player stadium.. I think thats a problem.

I'll never boo my team. Period. But I DID leave Saturday nights game when we gave up the last TD. Yeah Nick, the one where your DB wasn't within 25 yards of the receiver! After that despicable defensive effort, in a preseason game, in which our entire NFL Europe team was playing....I left.

Back
Top Bottom