Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

WOW! I wouldn't think such an innocuous article would incite such disparity. I honestly do not see the harm in Saban asking the fans to be supportive. Does that mean you cannot boo if that's what you want to do? Of course not. Some of you are acting like you are personally offended by Saban asking this of you. You can boo if you want to, he won't come after you. And he hasn't said that you can't. He's simply stating that vocally supporting the team helps them win.

Someone wrote that he is being egotistical by asking this. I'm sorry, but..."HUH"? You make it sound like he said "You had better not boo, or you're in trouble". He didn't. And to use your analogy of Walmart. If that same CEO said to you, "Hey, you like our store. If you would recommend it to a friend, in the long run that would help us reduce prices", would you then turn to him, tell him he's egotistical and refuse to do it? Probably not. You'll either do it or not and I doubt you'd be personally offended for being asked.

It's also Sabans and the players responsibility to not deserve booing. We have the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL and all the peices Saban has ask for. Throw in ol'Wayne with his throwing of millions into the stadium and their is no excuse or blame to be put anywhere besides the people on the sidelines and the feild.

BTW I beleive someone should reimburse me for all the broken remotes the wanny regime cost me. Damn it.:lol:

Booing does nothing but hurt the mentality of the team. The OC's arn't going to change the play calling, the players arn't going to try any harder, and it does no GOOD for the team to boo. If I'm a huge fan of a team I would do nothing to hurt the team and its phsyche.

If you boo the other team why are you doing that?? To get under their skin, in their head, and other stuff. What makes you think it doesn't have the same affect on the players for the team you root for??

Booing does no GOOD for your team.

But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

CK I disagree with this part of the statement. Fans can generate a positive atmosphere and spark a team its called homefield advantage which can help a team win games.

I agree that we should be supportive of the team and maybe try to keep silent if the team's being blown out rather than boo. But that's presuming the players are playing hard and trying to get a win. Then again, you can't expect fans to not boo when the team's play consistently looks like something out of a Three Stooges movie. The players need our support but they're also pros who should know how to deal with things like booing (something maybe Manny Wright should learn).

pffft, I pays my money, I make the long trip and then I witness three consecutive false starts...Ima booing machine... I show up at the home opener and MY team is unprepared and gets stomped into a mudhole by the Texans...Ima booing machine... don't want to hear my boo's..don't make the same mistakes over and over.

Regan21286 said:
I agree that we should be supportive of the team and maybe try to keep silent if the team's being blown out. But that's presuming the players are playing hard and trying to get a win. Then again, you can't expect fans to not boo when the team's play consistently looks like something out of a Three Stooges movie.

Good point...I can pretty much guarantee that if that Cleveland game last year in which the Fins looked like they gave up and got spanked 22-0 were in Dolphin's Stadium....I'da booed my azz off!! Like I said, I'm not a big fan of booing, because I think its counterproductive, but sometimes the home team deserves it...not because I'd be booing the team....I'd be booing their collective effort....in that game, there wasn't much at all.

Maybe you people forget that last year and the year before last we had alot of quitters and crybabies on our team. If you notice the players giving up why would you not boo? The Browns I repeat the Browns shut us out and KC and Holliday even said to the news that they were quitters on the team. If I paid money to watch quitters or even buy merchandise to help pay quitters do I not have a right to be upset and even boo? Saban didn't call them out and probably scolled KC and Holliday for defying his rules but he desrved to be booed too for not being the one to call them out during that losing streak. They need to prove they won't quit before they demand this s*** IMO.

Shamboubou said:
Booing does nothing but hurt the mentality of the team. Booing does no GOOD for your team.

If you can prove that, fine. But if not, it's just your opinion....

Personally, when I feel the team needs a swift kick in the ***, I think booing helps them. If they're playing poorly, the best way to motivate is not to go soft on them. Do any of you think that after a bad half of play, Saban takes the players into the lockeroom, and proceeds to give them milk and cookies???...

Hell no, more than likely they get their ***** chewed out!!!....

So it's okay for Saban to do it behind closed doors, but it's not alright for the fans to do it at all??....even when it's well deserved???....PLEASE.

PHINZ RULE!!!!

IMO the fans who are arguing for the right to boo are arguing for their right to be fairweather fans. The fans who stay positive in bad times and in good are your true diehard fans.

G-Force said:
Maybe you people forget that last year and the year before last we had alot of quitters and crybabies on our team. If you notice the players giving up why would you not boo? The Browns I repeat the Browns shut us out and KC and Holliday even said to the news that they were quitters on the team. If I paid money to watch quitters or even buy merchandise to help pay quitters do I not have a right to be upset and even boo? Saban didn't call them out and probably scolled KC and Holliday for defying his rules but he desrved to be booed too for not being the one to call them out during that losing streak. They need to prove they won't quit before they demand this s*** IMO.

Personally, I would boo lack of effort or lack of sportsmanship. I would not boo a player for just getting beat by another player.

I think the players are far more motivated to play hard when the fans are positive and excited. That's how it usually is in college. I've heard that with big rock stars they really do tend to play better and put on a better show when they are picking up a lot of positive vibes from the crowd.

I don't think it helps anything to boo your own team in a home game ..unless they are just really playing bad and not even trying to turn things around. It's just not cool in my opinion. If they played bad, you can get mad on the way to the parking lot and then maybe post a few constructive criticisms on Monday ...that's why we're called "Monday Morning Quarterbacks". I'm sure Saban will already know most of the mistakes that were made. He probably has already yelled about it in the locker room and the players got the message.

I think sports psychologists will tell you that if the idea is get a particular player to improve his game, it's better to use more positive reinforcement than negative reinforcement. I think Joey Harrington would probably agree. The fans were TOO negative and pessimistic in Detroit. Joey was probably too wound up and stressed and worried about every little thing TOO much. Even though Jay Cutler is a rookie, he's already showing a lot of poise and focus. This is how I'd like Daunte, Joey and all the players to be this year. Brady does the same thing .... not TOO excited and overconfident but not overly anxious, stressed and pessimistic either.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5837

rafael said:
Personally, I would boo lack of effort or lack of sportsmanship. I would not boo a player for just getting beat by another player.
I don't think fans are given enough credit for being able to tell the differance. If you are beat on a pass and you are beat because of a mistake and you run to catch up even though you know it's impossible then you don't deserve it. If you just stop and pout or have a look of o'well then you deserve it. If they don't want booed then the next time they will show more effort.

Back
Top Bottom