Booker getting comfortable with Dolphins... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker getting comfortable with Dolphins...

brandon27

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
[admin] Please don't post the full articles. Thanks. [/admin]

Didnt see this posted anywhere yet, thought I'd share. Sounds like he's a nice level headed kid. Looking forward to seeing him play.

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
May 25, 2007

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Shortly after Lorenzo Booker learned he was drafted by the Miami Dolphins, the Florida State running back became excited about learning nuances of the NFL game from Ricky Williams.

Instead, he'll essentially be replacing Williams.

Not only does Booker have the same locker that Williams occupied in the Dolphins' training complex, he'll also likely be Ronnie Brown's backup in Miami's backfield and fill the role many expected Williams to have before his suspension for violating the league's drug policy was extended until at least September.

And Williams' loss -- all indications are that the Dolphins will not welcome back the former NFL rushing champion when, or if, he is reinstated by the
league -- appears to be Booker's gain.

"I'd be lying if I said that I didn't anticipate getting more carries because of that," Booker said Friday. "But at the same time, I was looking forward to learning from him also. Regardless of what the guy does on his own time, he's a great football player and no one can take that from him. ... But, obviously, I'm excited about the opportunity to get more touches early."

Brown is excited by that possibility, too.

He wasted no time in beginning to forge a relationship with Booker, teaching him some of the lessons he's learned since he was drafted No. 2 overall by the Dolphins in 2005 -- and predicted Friday that the rookie will make an impact for Miami right away this season.

"He's doing a great job," Brown said. "He came in and has been catching the ball real well, is learning a lot on the move. It'd be a lot for a lot of people, but he's taking everything in, isn't making a lot of mental mistakes and is getting better on a daily basis."

The 5-foot-10, 191-pound Booker generated 3,176 yards of offense in his four seasons at Florida State, averaging nearly 4.8 yards per carry and 8.1 yards per reception -- amid some cries that he wasn't used enough by the Seminoles.

It doesn't sound like that will be the case in Miami, where Dolphins coach Cam Cameron calls Booker "a change-of-pace guy," meaning someone who can run the ball, catch it, even return it if necessary.

"A football player is a football player," Cameron said. "And you find a way to use him. It could be a punt returner, it could be a kick returner, it could be a third-down back. ... He's quick and he's fast, but most guys in this league are as quick and as fast as he is. So it's going to be more a function of his mind than anything else."

So far, Booker says his mind is fine as he acclimates to football's highest level.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...bYF?slug=ap-dolphins-booker&prov=ap&type=lgns

I love that pick, love the player, his attitude, everything about him. It's already been stated a million times that he wasn't used right at FSU and he'll be playing under a great offensive minded coach. That and Ronnie Brown has always done better with one another RB to help carry the load. Can't wait to see those two.

I'm more excited about our fullbacks than I am Booker....which I don't think is a good thing. There is a big drop off after Ronnie Brown....

I'm more excited about our fullbacks than I am Booker....which I don't think is a good thing. There is a big drop off after Ronnie Brown....

There is no way you can possibly know that till the pads are put on... Booker has not played one down in the NFL yet and even though I love Ronnie to death, he hasnt exactly been gang busters in his career yet. Give Lorenzo a chance...

First off, let me say that I like what I see developing along our O-line. That is key. A solid O-line will allow Brown & Booker to become real play makers (not to mention Beck-some day & Ginn & Chambers etc.). I cant wait to see that play out.

Second, I must say that this draft seems to be loaded with potential. So much so, that I envision us having our own version of the tripletts, i.e. Beck, Ginn & Booker. Throw Chambers, Brown and a healthy Martin in there, behind a solid O-line and we are looking a special unit.
Not this year, although we will see some flashes, but in the next two to three years.

Sorry, I got off topic due to my excitement!
But yeah, I'm glad to hear Booker is getting comfortable with the system!

Back
Top Bottom