Booker | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker

SBCHAMPSPHINZ

Practice Squad
Reaction score
MOD EDIT: Guy, read the TOS. You must post a sentence or two from the article and post a link. It's not permitted to post the whole article. Thanks.

I THINK BOOKER will be a great factor for us to get to the playoffs read this article and u guys might think that too, ALso on the bottom of the article it kinda shows that hes happy and ready to play in miami.
Newest Dolphin doesn't like 'possession receiver' tag

By Joe Schad

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

DAVIE  Marty Booker tried to laugh off the suggestion at a news conference introducing him as the Dolphins' offensive reinforcement.

Is he a possession wide receiver?

"Check my rap sheet," said Booker, who was acquired from the Bears along with a third-round draft choice for Adewale Ogunleye in a trade that became official Monday. "That's all I've got to say. Last time I heard, possession receivers don't make it to the Pro Bowl."

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]
[/size][/font]
And they say Booker is a quiet, humble Louisianan.

How would he describe himself?

"I do everything," said Booker, who had 100 and 97 catches in the two seasons before last, when he had 52 but missed three games with an ankle injury. "I am a complete receiver. I can go downfield. I can go over the middle. I can block. I can do it all."

Booker, 28, showed off his enormous hands  and they are gigantic  by saying: "They get the job done. That's all I can say."

He said he'll pick up the offense quickly. He said he's getting over the shock of having been traded from a place he didn't want to leave.

And he said he's ready to regain his reputation as a No. 1 receiver.

"I got my weight down so I could be an explosive receiver," Booker said. "I'm still developing. But by coming down here and putting it all together, I want to get back to the Pro Bowl status I was at a couple of years ago."

Not surprisingly, General Manager Rick Spielman disputed the notion that Booker is a "possession" receiver, even if he's averaged only 11.7 yards per catch in a five-year career.

"He has, to me, very similar athletic ability to Chris Chambers," said Spielman, who was in Chicago's personnel department when the team drafted Booker. "He can make circus-like catches. He has extremely large hands. Very soft hands. I think out of all the guys we evaluated, he had the fewest drops out of anybody. He's a very good route-runner and he's explosive. He's been as heavy as 218 or 220 pounds, but he's down to 207 and that's where he feels most comfortable."

Dolphins safety Shawn Wooden, a former teammate of Booker's in Chicago, was one of many players to offer praise.

"He has all the tools," Wooden said. "The catches he made are right up there with Oronde Gadsden. He caused headaches for us."

Coach Dave Wannstedt said Booker, who watched Monday's practice wearing jersey No. 86, should practice today and be ready to play in Saturday's game at Tampa Bay.

Receiver Antonio Freeman said: "This is an exciting player. He's big, strong, tough, good at running after the catch. He's a physical-type guy."

Safety Antuan Edwards said: "We had to game-plan for him when I was (in Green Bay). Marty was always able to get open. He always caught the ball quick and always made plays after the catch. I'm just glad he's here now."

Booker expressed confidence in his new offense and team.

"Here, I have the capability of making it to the playoffs and the Super Bowl," Booker said. "So I'm very excited. Chicago is the past. Miami is my future."

Last edited by a moderator:
That just shows how much more class Booker has than O-gun. Rather than trashing his old team, he just says it's in the past and he's looking forward to playing here. It's great to hear the guys on our D talk about how good of a receiver he is. I can't wait to see him play!

I agree. I am happy with the trade. Booker is a class act and when he starts putting up on the field it will be all the better.

I might have to get a Booker jersey now. Love this guys attitude. He and C. C. will make a great combo.

Back
Top Bottom