Boom or Bust Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boom or Bust Draft

Ginn's Family

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I was hoping Miami would overlook Tyrann Mathieu’s character concerns and draft him in the second round back in 2013. I just feel like if a player is that talented, they’re worth the risk.

After looking at many mock drafts over the past few months and seeing where many players are projected to be selected, I believe that if we are willing to take a few risks in this year's draft, we could add game-changing talent to our team, especially defensively. If the drafts falls correctly for us, this is what I'd love to see happen:

1. Myles Jack – assuming his recovery goes well, he possesses all the physical tools to be a dominant LB. If Jack is off the board, Plan B would be Vernon Hargreaves III, who's undersized, but I think will become a very good corner.

2. Robert Nkemdiche – his character concerns and habit of taking plays off have some projecting he’ll fall into round two, or further. While I acknowledge those concerns, I feel like his talent is just took much to pass up if he's still on the board when we're on the clock in round two.

3. Jaylon Smith – prior to his injury, this is who I wanted Miami to select at #8. From what I’ve read, he will have to redshirt his first year. That’s fine with me. He’s a special talent and even knowing he’ll have to sit out his first year, his talent is worth the risk.

I believe every time you're gambling on a player, whether it be gambling on their character or their health, you have to weigh the risk versus the reward. While I recognize the risk is high, I believe the reward is astronomically higher.

This is Chris Grier's first Draft as the Dolphin GM. While Tannenbaum is his boss, I expect that Grier will be making the key decisions on Draft Day and Tannenbaum won't publicly override him unless they totally disagree. Tannenbaum knows that Grier is more skilled at the player evaluation stuff than himself and having appointed Chris to the GM role, he now wants to see him succeed.
Grier will be doing everything he can to make great decisions as a GM. I predict that he will not be inclined to go for the boom or bust picks. It is more likely that he drafts sensibly and safely rather than take the risk of big busts.

Miami needs productivity and a clean pick. The two corners Harg or Ramsey still fills a need just because of the amount quality corners you need, esp against Brady. No injury questions.

I agree that Miami's first round pick should be somewhat of a safe pick, which is why I'd like to see them draft Jack or Hargreaves if one of them falls to us. With the speculation that we've swapped first round picks with Philly, both of those guys may be out of play for us now anyways. However, as far as our second and third round picks are concerned, I still believe we should draft Nkemdiche and Smith if they are there. Guys that have the type of unteachable talent and playmaking ability that those two possess are top five draft picks. To get them in the second and third round is ridiculous value and I absolutely think it's worth the risk to gamble on then. Even if only one of them pan out and reach their potential, it would be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom