Boomer's Top 15 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

Great stuff Boom as usual. Cant say I disagree about much really. Love Quinn and Ginn as well. Quinn is just a pure QB and everything you could want. Any chance the Phins could get him, and they need to take it-within reason, lets not pull a "trade our draft for Ricky" type thing.
Ginn is very underrated by many people on this board. It seems hes often just characterized as a "fast" WR. Lets get this straight. Hes not fast, hes faster than anyone else. And not just that, he PLAYS that fast! It seems everyone else is playing in slo-mo when hes around. Not to mention his ST ability. Sure hes a little raw, but he can still come in and be an effective day 1 starter and STILL have a massive ceiling to reach-scary! Hes quite simply a game changing player.
I have a few reservations about the ankle, but then again, its just an ankle sprain. Some of those things can take a long time to heal, but unlike a fracture its not a recurring thing. If the docs check him out Im good.

Im not sure what to think about Leon Hall. He got absolutely torched by Ginn, and then again by Jarrett in his two biggest games. Not exactly a great resume. Id seriously look to put Houston (the just SHUT DOWN Jarrett) ahead of him.

Willis I have reservations about. For a guy supposedly SO good, why dont you seem to hear more about him? Is he just an under the radar guy, is the talent in this draft just THAT deep, or am I just looking in the wrong spots? Before workouts I was seeing his name in the late first, not top 10.

And as for David Carr, well, I wouldnt place to much on him. Just dont think he has it. Hes better than Joey, but thats not saying much. Granted his team wasnt a bunch of all-pros, and he was accurate, but he did have a few playmakers, and he was in a system built for accuracy. WHen I watched him (as I did most weeks living in Houston forced to watch the local game ugh ...) he just never impressed. Not a big leader, not a rise to the occassion guy, just cant seem to put together momentum. At best with a good supporting cast he will be an average starter, but thats all. Still think the Raiders should take CJ though.

Whatever, good stuff Boom, thanks for popping into the draft forum to update us Non-VIPers once in awhile, much appreciated :)

Thanks for the work Boom!

Those are all going to be good players in the NFL...and we get one of them.

If some combination of Russell, Thomas, Peterson and Johnson go in the top 3, Miami has the ammunition to trade up from 9 with either Tampa, Arizona, or Washington to get Quinn. It would seem plausible.

Tampa will not need either Peterson or Quinn, So they could trade down and still get Okoye, Landry, or Willis at 9 and be very happy.

I think Miami needs to move to 4 to get Quinn, because if they don't Minnesota or Carolina might very well do so.

However, it is entirely possible that Russell will go one, Peterson or Thomas 2, and Quinn 3. If that is the case, it will be much tougher for Miami to get Quinn. Then Tampa will take CJ as a major steal.

Good stuff as always, man. I'm glad to see you putting Revis ahead of Hall too. I am wondering when the guys like Kiper are going to make the switch. Hypothetically speaking, if Ginn Jr. were gone, would you like Revis as the pick? Is he too much of a reach at #9? Do you think CB is enough of a need area to warrant the pick?

Oh, and congrats to your boys today. They gave my Gunners a pounding. I think this year is making up for our undefeated season. I can't remember ever being more disappointed with the team. And what makes it all worse is that we're 2-0 against Man U. How does that happen?

Very, very nice work...I have to applaud you for not simply piggybacking on any one of the 500 "top prospects" lists that are basically the same list.

I guess I really like your list because I think, although for some reason the rest of the draft gurus disagree, your top 4 are dead - on...it's almost common sense that the top 4 should look like that IMO.

Willis I have reservations about. For a guy supposedly SO good, why dont you seem to hear more about him? Is he just an under the radar guy, is the talent in this draft just THAT deep, or am I just looking in the wrong spots? Before workouts I was seeing his name in the late first, not top 10.

(I'll take this one from ya, Boom-Brotha')

Willis is finally being mentioned everywhere, as he should. If you listen to NFL Sirius, Willis' name comes up quite often when LBs are mentioned for prospective teams in need of them. Google his name and you will run into a number of fan boards talking about him. I am assuming you do not follow SEC football because you no doubtedly would've heard about him.

Willis played for a small-time program in the SEC. Ole Miss isn't exactly considered "top-notch" nationally, much less in the SEC. I know, I am a student.

What separates Willis from the others is not only that he basically did everything and more asked from him on a sub-par team, but he played against top-tier talent. IMO, the SEC is the toughest conference nationally, no matter how many ways you put it. And Willis wreaked havoc!

He was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year (Meaning better than Landry). He won the Butkus (Meaning best LB in the nation). Led ALL in tackles at the Senior Bowl with 11.5. The next closest on either team had 5. He led the SEC (top-tier talent) with 137 tackles. Guess how many the next closest had? 107. Ranked 3rd in the NCAA in solo tackles with 7.25/game. That's production coming out of the wazoo!

Look, I am biased because we are at the same school. Disregarding that, Willis is a damned animal on the football field! Many have fallen in love with other LBs because of their school of choice. Posluszny's name always comes up in the same sentence as Willis' because he went to "LB U". Well, Poz couldn't sniff the stench on Willis' jock strap if he begged. Willis is in a class of his own. I am not the only person who thinks this.

All in all, Willis is a great character and having dealt with many adversities in his life, (including most recently his brother's drowning last summer prior to the season) he remains steadfast and continues to work hard on and off of the field. He does so much in the community, and has made the Chancellor's Honor Roll after struggling in high school to keep up academically. He busted his balls to get to where he is today, and it took a DAMNED 4.37 and 4.38 forty to finally open people's eyes as to how talented this man is!

I hate the fact that there are people on here riding his jock when earlier in the year I tried to enlighten everyone on this man's abilities. OH, NOW YOU LIKE WILLIS! What happened to Pussloser???

Here are some of his highlights if you have not seen him in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wb4xNU5pA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqadSMQm5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4BX9upvVY

(I'll take this one from ya, Boom-Brotha')

Willis is finally being mentioned everywhere, as he should. If you listen to NFL Sirius, Willis' name comes up quite often when LBs are mentioned for prospective teams in need of them. Google his name and you will run into a number of fan boards talking about him. I am assuming you do not follow SEC football because you no doubtedly would've heard about him.

Willis played for a small-time program in the SEC. Ole Miss isn't exactly considered "top-notch" nationally, much less in the SEC. I know, I am a student.

What separates Willis from the others is not only that he basically did everything and more asked from him on a sub-par team, but he played against top-tier talent. IMO, the SEC is the toughest conference nationally, no matter how many ways you put it. And Willis wreaked havoc!

He was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year (Meaning better than Landry). He won the Butkus (Meaning best LB in the nation). Led ALL in tackles at the Senior Bowl with 11.5. The next closest on either team had 5. He led the SEC (top-tier talent) with 137 tackles. Guess how many the next closest had? 107. Ranked 3rd in the NCAA in solo tackles with 7.25/game. That's production coming out of the wazoo!

Look, I am biased because we are at the same school. Disregarding that, Willis is a damned animal on the football field! Many have fallen in love with other LBs because of their school of choice. Posluszny's name always comes up in the same sentence as Willis' because he went to "LB U". Well, Poz couldn't sniff the stench on Willis' jock strap if he begged. Willis is in a class of his own. I am not the only person who thinks this.

All in all, Willis is a great character and having dealt with many adversities in his life, (including most recently his brother's drowning last summer prior to the season) he remains steadfast and continues to work hard on and off of the field. He does so much in the community, and has made the Chancellor's Honor Roll after struggling in high school to keep up academically. He busted his balls to get to where he is today, and it took a DAMNED 4.37 and 4.38 forty to finally open people's eyes as to how talented this man is!

I hate the fact that there are people on here riding his jock when earlier in the year I tried to enlighten everyone on this man's abilities. OH, NOW YOU LIKE WILLIS! What happened to Pussloser???

Here are some of his highlights if you have not seen him in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wb4xNU5pA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqadSMQm5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4BX9upvVY

It's not bias when you simply had a better view than most. You are completely right. Path to the Draft on NFL Network the other night had a special in which someone (can't remember who) was trying to say Beason and Willis were neck and neck. That is a complete joke.

It's not bias when you simply had a better view than most. You are completely right. Path to the Draft on NFL Network the other night had a special in which someone (can't remember who) was trying to say Beason and Willis were neck and neck. That is a complete joke.

Was probably May-caca.

OK, now Laron Landry not being smart. Right after mentioning his great instincts. What? forget about that notion.

Sorry, but having good instincts and not being smart are two totally different things. You can be intsinctive without being intelligent.

You did know that didn't you?

So before you say "forget about that notion", let me direct quote you from a scout at the Combine on Landry.

"There's some questions about him. I don't know how smart he is."

So apologies to your dismissive nature, but there you go.

Jemarcus Russell I just saw on NFL Network where Russel is moving around in the pocket and lays the ball right on target over the top of defenders on borken plays. This is the sign of greatness right there. Mayock compared him to John Elway except with the size and strength and the "flick of the wrist" long ball. To have Jemarcus Russell at 15 is just bad. Sorry Boom. Jemarcus Russell showed Brady Quinn who was the better QB in head to head and I dont want to hear about better defense yadda yadda yadda........you have to go against what you go against and Russell showed better all around reads and touch and moxy. I like Quinn alot though because if he has the talent around him, he will do the leadership job just fine. I would have Quinn around 5 or 6 and Russell at 2 behind Calvin Johnson.

OK, first off, his name is JaMarcus.

So you see a handful of plus point clips on the NFL Network and that makes it alright? I tell you what, watch the 9 LSU games I've seen him play in live and the rest of the footage I've seen on him and then get back to me.

Your comment about Russell 'showed Quinn in head to head' is the stupidest argument ever because your parameters for how Russell 'showed' Quinn are that we're not allowed to talk about how much better a team LSU were, how Notre Dame had no right to be in that game in the first place and that Russell has 3 1st round wideouts to throw to.

Peterson is a good RB and great kid. I just wouldnt put him in the Hall of Fame right now.

More after I read it over again.
Your opinion counts for what anyway?

I mean seriously. You traipse round the forums floating half truths based omn players that you've not actually watched. Your opinions are drawn off what you read.

2) Ted Ginn. Taking a player this high who has so little proven skill at his primary position (WR) is scary to me. He is a very explosive player who has shown great return capabilities but as a WR he has many question marks. Can he catch in traffic? Will he go over the middle (not underneath routes)? Can he block downfield? With his frailty, will he hold up? Can he beat physical NFL CB’s off the line? As far as his frailty goes, many people try to compare him to Marvin Harrison. MH was a much more polished WR than Ginn and MH’s only question mark was his frailty, not his skill set. Ginn could turn out to be Santana Moss but he could also turn out to be Randal Hill or even a WR version of John Avery.

OK Mr Tiger......lap top has chilled out.

I dispute that Ginn has 'so little proven skill'. He has 135 catches, almost 2000 yards recieving, so I'd say that's more than 'little proven skills'. Can he catch in traffic? Well, lets make no bones about it, he's not going to be Hines Ward. But this is a kid who's taken back 92 kicks and punts in 3 seasons, the most dangerous job in football. He very rarely fair catches it and he takes plenty of punishment, so I don't wory too much about that. As for going across the middle, well, a lot of his plays come on digs and crossing routes. What he's very good at is finding that dead area between the LB's and the safeties and making the grab. He's not a great blocker, more of an inteference guy, but he understands the form, probably from his corner play and he understands angles. Will he hold up? Well, the BCS Title game injury, the freak injury where Roy Hall dragged him down, catching his ankle underneath him and pulling him back, is the first injury he's had at college or high school.

In terms of beating physical press, well, as a flanker, he's going to be a yard or tow back off the LOS anyway and his movement is ridiculous. But watch the Texas game, where he shifts to the weakside against Aaron Ross, the strongside corner and a likely 1st round pick, who tracks him to the weak side and is in tight man press. At the snap, Ross, an aggressive kid with excellent hands never lays a glove on Ginn. He gives him 3 moves and whoosh. It's over. Touchdown. So I think he can play the press. Plus you move him around. You get him popping up all over the place. If I was Cam, I'd have him get 12/15 touches on offense a game.
[/QUOTE]

3) LaRon Landry. I’m surprised to see him below Reggie Nelson or even out o fthe top 10. Your comments about his ‘smarts’ are the first I’ve heard of this. Remember, as a true freshman Landry mastered the same complex system Saban runs that Troy Polomalu, Lawyer Milloy, Rodney Harrison and our own Jason Allen initially struggled with as pros. Primary run responsibilites, blitzing, deep coverage calls...That has to display some football aptitude. He was starting and helping with secondary calls as a true freshman on a National Championship team. The guy is 6’1†215 lbs., runs a 4.35 forty, has double digit int’s fro his career, benches over 400 lbs and is one of the surest tackling safeties to come out in years. What’s not to like? I know you have him ranked high, just lower than most others.

Mr Tiger.....it is I once more. If you are Irish, I have family in Kilkenny.

Anyway, Mr Landry beckons.

As I've said subsequently and as I said in the original post, the quote is a direct one from a colleague who was told that verbatim in Indianapolis by a scout.

I think Landry plays a little out of control and the coverage issues thing remains a concern for me. But he has a LOT going for him and it's not like I'm down on him, just that I like Nelson more.

OK Mr Tiger......lap top has chilled out.

I dispute that Ginn has 'so little proven skill'. He has 135 catches, almost 2000 yards recieving, so I'd say that's more than 'little proven skills'. Can he catch in traffic? Well, lets make no bones about it, he's not going to be Hines Ward. But this is a kid who's taken back 92 kicks and punts in 3 seasons, the most dangerous job in football. He very rarely fair catches it and he takes plenty of punishment, so I don't wory too much about that. As for going across the middle, well, a lot of his plays come on digs and crossing routes. What he's very good at is finding that dead area between the LB's and the safeties and making the grab. He's not a great blocker, more of an inteference guy, but he understands the form, probably from his corner play and he understands angles. Will he hold up? Well, the BCS Title game injury, the freak injury where Roy Hall dragged him down, catching his ankle underneath him and pulling him back, is the first injury he's had at college or high school.

In terms of beating physical press, well, as a flanker, he's going to be a yard or tow back off the LOS anyway and his movement is ridiculous. But watch the Texas game, where he shifts to the weakside against Aaron Ross, the strongside corner and a likely 1st round pick, who tracks him to the weak side and is in tight man press. At the snap, Ross, an aggressive kid with excellent hands never lays a glove on Ginn. He gives him 3 moves and whoosh. It's over. Touchdown. So I think he can play the press. Plus you move him around. You get him popping up all over the place. If I was Cam, I'd have him get 12/15 touches on offense a game.

by golly, I just might, I have it within arms reach

that stuff just got my heart pounding thinking about it.

4) Joe Thomas. In some of his games against quality opponents, I noticed he would get driven back into the QB. Do you have any more comments or conerns about him? Just curious.

Not really. I had issues with his hands, but he made a lot of improvement last year and I think the hips issue which I mentioned in post 1 is a reason why at times he gets moved back, but he's always seemed in control of that situation. I think using his hands better will alleviate much of that. I mean he has such a strong base and his feet and knee bend is excellent. Just some technique refinery.

Very good read and I agree with your assesments of Willis and Revis. Willis ability to play inside or outside can only help the team who drafts him. If I'm not mistaken, he showed at the Senior Bowl that he is better in coverage than many thought he was.

Revis' ability to drop off his coverage to make the play underneath reminds me of what Sam Madison used to do.

Thanks. Yes, Revis has that ability that Madison possessed, which comes from instinct but also from hours watching film. But unlike Sam, Darrelle can actually tackle!

Back
Top Bottom