Boston GLobe: should Patriots throw Miami game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PatDog, Dec 13, 2010.

1. PatDog

PatDog Starter

2. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

i dont even think that would be the mindset of belichick. even if he benched his guys, as long as the jets win that week, we cant finish ahead of them , so him giving miami a game would not prevent the jets from making the playoffs unless they screw themselves.

that being said, if u guys have everything locked up by week 17, it would make no sense to play your guys. after seeing what happened with welker last year in the finale, i think bill b learned his lesson. i also remember the only reason he played his guys last year was because the offense had not been playing so well and he wanted them to get more in sync with each other going into the playoffs. however, this season that does not seem like a problem.

3. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

OK first off please NO BELICHICK doesn't rest his starters post because that is false and 2005 in Foxboro vs us proves that (I was at the game we saw Brady for 2 series then Cassel for the rest of the game and many of their defensive stars didn't dress). Belichick will do whatever is best for the Patriots, if they continue to roll he will rest his starters but if they start to struggle we could see more of them. He will not risk injury, see Welker at the end of 2009.

4. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

Personally would love it... but would it happen... not in a million years... if the patriots clinch home field for all of their playoff games they may sit some key personel but Brady will play and he will play to win... Bellycheck will coach and he will coach to win... Still I do hate the jets and would just be grinning ear to ear to watch us/pats/ANYONE knock them down... (and then kick dirt in their faces)... God Sunday' result was Great even if the game wasnt...

5. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Some would love this...will probably argue that their boy morono is a good coach by winning against hoyer and a bunch of bums...LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
  6. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

They won't necessarily throw the game, but they will sit some key players to avoid any injuries.

7. DolfanISS

Do I need to post the box score from the 2005 game to prove Belichick will rest Brady in this game. It has happened and will happen as long the Pats are still sharp on offense.

8. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

:sidelol: No kidding. They will be almost as tough to take as the clueless Jets fan who wont admit that the Colts wouldve destroyed them had the starters played in that 2nd half.

Whats sad is that it probably wouldnt get us into the playoffs either. It would be a very empty "strong" finish to the season.

9. DolfanISS

Honestly I'm going to this game and I'd rather not see a preseason game. I'm just pointing out that Belichick will rest hos starters. Won or lose I won;t think any higher of the Dolphins. In fact with our offense it wouldn't shock me to see NE's skeleton crew give us a very tough game.

10. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

They will then say we have the momentum in 2011! :lol:

Forget the 8 month layoff, draft, cuts, preseason ,training camp, etc...

I saw one member talking about the between season momentum a few days ago..Good lord...

11. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 A True Fan

they did it in 05

12. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

i dont think whether we win or lose that game anyone will say its momentum heading towards next year. i think everyone learned back when we won 6 straight to end the 05 season and then started 1-6 in 06, it means ****.

13. DolfanISS

It's weird how things get spun here. My point is only that Belichick does rest his starters in these situations, that's it. So much gets implied when you make a point you need tons of disclaimers to say anything here. That game will mean nothing for us as well, probably looking at a preseason game.

14. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Who cares what they think. It sounds like you want Miami to lose just so you can bash Sparano/morono and dish out hate all off season...WTF?

As a Dolphin fan, I ALWAYS want them to win the game regardless of whether they are playing against the other team's starters or bench players. And regardless of who is coaching the Dolphins.

15. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Damn, your act is so damn tired already...

16. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

It's a competitive advantage for Belichick.

He knows that if we beat the Patriots we'll have anywhere from a 9 - 7 to 10 - 6 record. Our coaching staff stays, we try to put pieces around Henne, and go into next year thinking we can compete. What the poster said above, the "in between season momemntum." The worst kind. The winning that hurts you the most is winning you do when you don't have a franchise Qb.

Belichick wants Sparano and Co. in his division for as long as he can have them. Just like he enjoyed Wannstedt. We'll never be a threat to him and destined to fall somewhere behind them.

Plus our draft slot will be higher and below their Raiders' 1st.

I just hope Belichick's ego gets the better of him.

17. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Agreed....I mean come on, wtf??????????

18. Taysia

Taysia DJ Teknision

Does anybody remember what happened to Welker last year??? Belichick might not want to sit his players but after that incident I bet you he will think long and hard about doing it!!

19. dolfan19

dolfan19 Starter Finheaven VIP

It's sad that we may end up relying on the decision of an opposing team's HC to make it to the Playoffs. Three years, and it's like we are standing still.

20. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Yes I remember that game. He started Brady for two series like you said. One it kept Brady's starting streak alive. Two they thought the Offense might score quickly and then you can pull them while you are ahead and it make for positive reinforcement even if your 2nds lose the game.

Once the Fins scored on their 1st possesion and Belly knew he was in for a dogfight he pulled his key players to save them from injury.

I could see the same scenario happening this year. Although Brady's streak has ended due to knee injury in 2008 he would probably start the 1st series and try to score to get us down. If it turns into a battle belly will pull his key players. He is not going to be second guessed again after what happened to Welker last year. Trying to win that last meaninless game cost them a chance at the Super Bowl last year.

21. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

The Patriots should be excited for another chance to crush the Jets in the playoffs.

22. DolfanISS

Brady started but many of his defensive stars didn't dress.

Hey the Dolphins have almost no shot at making the playoffs anyway. An SF, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Miami win would sure set the table for a little excitement though.

23. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Exactly, he figured his offense could set the tone with a score. With the way Brady is passing with quick passes right on the target the chance for sack or hard tackle injury is minimal. But if you stay in a dogfilght all game the odds of injury go way up.

24. DolfanISS

I think we picked him off early too.

25. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Yes, Brady opened with a 10 play drive only to be intercepted.

We took the lead on a long drive capped by Ricky Williams TD.
    And to whoever said the Defensive starters sat was wrong.
    On the Td drive by Williams I see alot of defesnive starters making tackles.
    1. 1-10-MIA 17 (9:13) G.Frerotte pass to R.McMichael pushed ob at MIA 26 for 9 yards (J.Sanders).
    2. 2-1-MIA 26 (9:00) G.Frerotte pass incomplete to D.Barnes.
    3. 3-1-MIA 26 (8:57) R.Williams left guard to MIA 29 for 3 yards (E.Hobbs).
    4. 1-10-MIA 29 (8:24) R.Williams up the middle to MIA 30 for 1 yard (M.Vrabel).
    5. 2-9-MIA 30 (7:50) (Shotgun) G.Frerotte pass to M.Booker to MIA 38 for 8 yards (E.Hobbs, E.Wilson).
    6. 3-1-MIA 38 (7:10) (Shotgun) G.Frerotte up the middle to MIA 40 for 2 yards (V.Wilfork).
    7. 1-10-MIA 40 (6:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) G.Frerotte pass to C.Chambers ran ob at NE 49 for 11 yards. PENALTY on NE-T.Warren, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at NE 49.
    8. 1-10-NE 34 (6:18) R.Williams left guard to NE 31 for 3 yards (R.Seymour).
    9. 2-7-NE 31 (5:44) (No Huddle) G.Frerotte left end to NE 26 for 5 yards.
    10. 3-2-NE 26 (4:58) R.Williams right end pushed ob at NE 18 for 8 yards (M.Vrabel). backwards pass
    11. 1-10-NE 18 (4:34) G.Frerotte pass to M.Booker to NE 2 for 16 yards (H.Poteat).
    12. 1-2-NE 2 (4:02) R.Williams up the middle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    13. O.Mare extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Denney, Holder-D.Jones.
    Bottom line is belly thought he could blow us out quick with both 1st teams and when it didn't happened he pulled them.
    Whether it was planned ahead of time or not I don't know.
    He should have known better since we always seem to play them tough.

26. DolfanISS

I stand corrected!

Pats in actives for that game.

2 Doug Flutie 3QB 22 Asante Samuel CB 25 Artrell Hawkins S 28 Corey Dillon RB 54 Tedy Bruschi LB 81 Bethel Johnson WR 82 Daniel Graham TE 97 Jarvis Green DL

Bruschi and Samuel and the 1st backup DE in Jarvis Green were inactive (I don’t remember if Hawkins was a starter but think he may have been). Dillon and Graham were key players on offense.

I agree with you. He didn’t necessarily want to throw the game but wasn’t going to be too high risk in winning it either. Although there was a theory around NE, I live here, that they did throw it on the 2 point conversion try at the end of regulation in an attempt to play Jacksonville in the wild card round and dodge Pittsburgh. I didn’t buy it though.

27. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

BB is having nightmares about Wake coming off the edge and putting pretty boy in the ground. I'm sure he's thinking about resting the starters, but who knows what goes on in his cheating screwed up little mind.

28. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Sounds to me like somebody's already making excuses as to why they're gonna get whipped by us. :up:

As mediocre as we are this year, history tells us that we generally tend to split with them.

29. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

If anyone thinks Bill Belichick will lighten up the last game of the season needs to look back in History:

2003 NE entering the last game 13-2 hammered the Bills to the tune of 31-0
    2004 NE entering the last game 13-2 beat up San Fran 21 -7
    2005 NE lost to Miami 28 -26
    2006 NE entered the last game 11-4 and hammered the Titans 40 -23
    2007 NE entered the last game 15-0 and ended up in a shoot out with the Giants winning 38-35
    2008 NE entered the last game 10-5 and beat the Bills 13-0 and missed the playoffs
    2009 NE entered the last game 10-5 and ended up in a shoot out with Texas and lost 27-34
    2010 NE will enter no worse then 11-4.

This year will be no different, NE will enter that game and play to win and try to win hands down. There will be no throwing of this game, it isn't in Belichick's vocabulary.

30. DolfanISS

You left out the most important part. Did they have anything to play for?

31. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

2003 playoff spot clinched were playing for number one seed
    2004 playoff spot clinched were playing for nothing already clinched the number 2 seed
    2005 playoff spot clinched and were playing for nothing already the fourth seed
    2006 playoff spot clinched and were playing for the 3rd seed
    2007 playoff spot clinched and number one seed clinched were playing for nothing more then being unbeaten
    2008 had to win with Dolphins loss to get in.
    2009 playoff spot clinched and were playing for no better then 3rd seed.

2010 will be playing the remainder of the season for the 1st seed with no worse then the 5th seed.

32. lucid22

lucid22 Well-Known Member

Don't the Patriots have a home winning streak dating back to 2006 in the regular season? I doubt they would want to screw that up.

33. MarSly

MarSly Well-Known Member

Do you really want to risk Brady with possibly backup players all around him with Cam Wake coming at you..It is very possible N.E. tanks it thinking Miami would lose anyway in the first round.It is possible.

34. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

If the pats clinch homefield after the next 2 games they would be stupid to play their starters for a meaningless game. Risk injury for a game that makes no difference to them? And home winning streaks mean nothing. I would trade any home winning streak regardless of how long it is for a SB run with my starters healthy.

35. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 A True Fan

Welker got hurt last year, and this is the first time since 05 that they'll have nothing to gain/lose from beating or losing to us. 07 was that perfect season they wanted so bad.

36. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I can see them resting players.. but completely expecting the fill ins to produce. Otherwise they'll put the starters back in. They did that a few yeqars ago when they took brady out, Cassel threw an INT on the first series and never whiffed the field again.

They'll be out to win. so will our defense.

37. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 A True Fan

We beat them in 08 but Cassell was their starter.

38. Ricky'sWeinerBong

Ricky'sWeinerBong Tony Jabroni

wasnt that amusing? lol

39. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I think we'll play them hard. Especially with the playoffs on the line. I also think we'll be out to avenge the thrashing we took on MNF.

40. satz

satz Seasoned Veteran

Depends on the record brady is on. He has won 26 home games in a row and went over farve against the jets.