Boston GLobe: should Patriots throw Miami game | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boston GLobe: should Patriots throw Miami game

It's a competitive advantage for Belichick.

He knows that if we beat the Patriots we'll have anywhere from a 9 - 7 to 10 - 6 record. Our coaching staff stays, we try to put pieces around Henne, and go into next year thinking we can compete. What the poster said above, the "in between season momemntum." The worst kind. The winning that hurts you the most is winning you do when you don't have a franchise Qb.

Belichick wants Sparano and Co. in his division for as long as he can have them. Just like he enjoyed Wannstedt. We'll never be a threat to him and destined to fall somewhere behind them.

Plus our draft slot will be higher and below their Raiders' 1st.

I just hope Belichick's ego gets the better of him.

Does anybody remember what happened to Welker last year??? Belichick might not want to sit his players but after that incident I bet you he will think long and hard about doing it!!

It's sad that we may end up relying on the decision of an opposing team's HC to make it to the Playoffs. Three years, and it's like we are standing still.

Do I need to post the box score from the 2005 game to prove Belichick will rest Brady in this game. It has happened and will happen as long the Pats are still sharp on offense.

Yes I remember that game. He started Brady for two series like you said. One it kept Brady's starting streak alive. Two they thought the Offense might score quickly and then you can pull them while you are ahead and it make for positive reinforcement even if your 2nds lose the game.

Once the Fins scored on their 1st possesion and Belly knew he was in for a dogfight he pulled his key players to save them from injury.

I could see the same scenario happening this year. Although Brady's streak has ended due to knee injury in 2008 he would probably start the 1st series and try to score to get us down. If it turns into a battle belly will pull his key players. He is not going to be second guessed again after what happened to Welker last year. Trying to win that last meaninless game cost them a chance at the Super Bowl last year.

The Patriots should be excited for another chance to crush the Jets in the playoffs.

Yes I remember that game. He started Brady for two series like you said. One it kept Brady's starting streak alive. Two they thought the Offense might score quickly and then you can pull them while you are ahead and it make for positive reinforcement even if your 2nds lose the game.

Once the Fins scored on their 1st possesion and Belly knew he was in for a dogfight he pulled his key players to save them from injury.

I could see the same scenario happening this year. Although Brady's streak has ended due to knee injury in 2008 he would probably start the 1st series and try to score to get us down. If it turns into a battle belly will pull his key players. He is not going to be second guessed again after what happened to Welker last year. Trying to win that last meaninless game cost them a chance at the Super Bowl last year.

Brady started but many of his defensive stars didn't dress.

Hey the Dolphins have almost no shot at making the playoffs anyway. An SF, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Miami win would sure set the table for a little excitement though.

Brady started but many of his defensive stars didn't dress.

Exactly, he figured his offense could set the tone with a score. With the way Brady is passing with quick passes right on the target the chance for sack or hard tackle injury is minimal. But if you stay in a dogfilght all game the odds of injury go way up.

Exactly, he figured his offense could set the tone with a score. With the way Brady is passing with quick passes right on the target the chance for sack or hard tackle injury is minimal. But if you stay in a dogfilght all game the odds of injury go way up.

I think we picked him off early too.

I think we picked him off early too.

Yes, Brady opened with a 10 play drive only to be intercepted.

We took the lead on a long drive capped by Ricky Williams TD.
And to whoever said the Defensive starters sat was wrong.
On the Td drive by Williams I see alot of defesnive starters making tackles.
  1. 1-10-MIA 17 (9:13) G.Frerotte pass to R.McMichael pushed ob at MIA 26 for 9 yards (J.Sanders).
  2. 2-1-MIA 26 (9:00) G.Frerotte pass incomplete to D.Barnes.
  3. 3-1-MIA 26 (8:57) R.Williams left guard to MIA 29 for 3 yards (E.Hobbs).
  4. 1-10-MIA 29 (8:24) R.Williams up the middle to MIA 30 for 1 yard (M.Vrabel).
  5. 2-9-MIA 30 (7:50) (Shotgun) G.Frerotte pass to M.Booker to MIA 38 for 8 yards (E.Hobbs, E.Wilson).
  6. 3-1-MIA 38 (7:10) (Shotgun) G.Frerotte up the middle to MIA 40 for 2 yards (V.Wilfork).
  7. 1-10-MIA 40 (6:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) G.Frerotte pass to C.Chambers ran ob at NE 49 for 11 yards. PENALTY on NE-T.Warren, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at NE 49.
  8. 1-10-NE 34 (6:18) R.Williams left guard to NE 31 for 3 yards (R.Seymour).
  9. 2-7-NE 31 (5:44) (No Huddle) G.Frerotte left end to NE 26 for 5 yards.
  10. 3-2-NE 26 (4:58) R.Williams right end pushed ob at NE 18 for 8 yards (M.Vrabel). backwards pass
  11. 1-10-NE 18 (4:34) G.Frerotte pass to M.Booker to NE 2 for 16 yards (H.Poteat).
  12. 1-2-NE 2 (4:02) R.Williams up the middle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
  13. O.Mare extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Denney, Holder-D.Jones.
Bottom line is belly thought he could blow us out quick with both 1st teams and when it didn't happened he pulled them.
Whether it was planned ahead of time or not I don't know.
He should have known better since we always seem to play them tough.

Yes, Brady opened with a 10 play drive only to be intercepted.

We took the lead on a long drive capped by Ricky Williams TD.
And to whoever said the Defensive starters sat was wrong.
On the Td drive by Williams I see alot of defesnive starters making tackles.
  1. 1-10-MIA 17 (9:13) G.Frerotte pass to R.McMichael pushed ob at MIA 26 for 9 yards (J.Sanders).
  2. 2-1-MIA 26 (9:00) G.Frerotte pass incomplete to D.Barnes.
  3. 3-1-MIA 26 (8:57) R.Williams left guard to MIA 29 for 3 yards (E.Hobbs).
  4. 1-10-MIA 29 (8:24) R.Williams up the middle to MIA 30 for 1 yard (M.Vrabel).
  5. 2-9-MIA 30 (7:50) (Shotgun) G.Frerotte pass to M.Booker to MIA 38 for 8 yards (E.Hobbs, E.Wilson).
  6. 3-1-MIA 38 (7:10) (Shotgun) G.Frerotte up the middle to MIA 40 for 2 yards (V.Wilfork).
  7. 1-10-MIA 40 (6:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) G.Frerotte pass to C.Chambers ran ob at NE 49 for 11 yards. PENALTY on NE-T.Warren, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at NE 49.
  8. 1-10-NE 34 (6:18) R.Williams left guard to NE 31 for 3 yards (R.Seymour).
  9. 2-7-NE 31 (5:44) (No Huddle) G.Frerotte left end to NE 26 for 5 yards.
  10. 3-2-NE 26 (4:58) R.Williams right end pushed ob at NE 18 for 8 yards (M.Vrabel). backwards pass
  11. 1-10-NE 18 (4:34) G.Frerotte pass to M.Booker to NE 2 for 16 yards (H.Poteat).
  12. 1-2-NE 2 (4:02) R.Williams up the middle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
  13. O.Mare extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Denney, Holder-D.Jones.
Bottom line is belly thought he could blow us out quick with both 1st teams and when it didn't happened he pulled them.
Whether it was planned ahead of time or not I don't know.
He should have known better since we always seem to play them tough.

I stand corrected!

Pats in actives for that game.

2 Doug Flutie 3QB 22 Asante Samuel CB 25 Artrell Hawkins S 28 Corey Dillon RB 54 Tedy Bruschi LB 81 Bethel Johnson WR 82 Daniel Graham TE 97 Jarvis Green DL

Bruschi and Samuel and the 1st backup DE in Jarvis Green were inactive (I don’t remember if Hawkins was a starter but think he may have been). Dillon and Graham were key players on offense.

I agree with you. He didn’t necessarily want to throw the game but wasn’t going to be too high risk in winning it either. Although there was a theory around NE, I live here, that they did throw it on the 2 point conversion try at the end of regulation in an attempt to play Jacksonville in the wild card round and dodge Pittsburgh. I didn’t buy it though.

BB is having nightmares about Wake coming off the edge and putting pretty boy in the ground. I'm sure he's thinking about resting the starters, but who knows what goes on in his cheating screwed up little mind.

Sounds to me like somebody's already making excuses as to why they're gonna get whipped by us. :up:

As mediocre as we are this year, history tells us that we generally tend to split with them.

If anyone thinks Bill Belichick will lighten up the last game of the season needs to look back in History:

2003 NE entering the last game 13-2 hammered the Bills to the tune of 31-0
2004 NE entering the last game 13-2 beat up San Fran 21 -7
2005 NE lost to Miami 28 -26
2006 NE entered the last game 11-4 and hammered the Titans 40 -23
2007 NE entered the last game 15-0 and ended up in a shoot out with the Giants winning 38-35
2008 NE entered the last game 10-5 and beat the Bills 13-0 and missed the playoffs
2009 NE entered the last game 10-5 and ended up in a shoot out with Texas and lost 27-34
2010 NE will enter no worse then 11-4.

This year will be no different, NE will enter that game and play to win and try to win hands down. There will be no throwing of this game, it isn't in Belichick's vocabulary.

If anyone thinks Bill Belichick will lighten up the last game of the season needs to look back in History:

2003 NE entering the last game 13-2 hammered the Bills to the tune of 31-0
2004 NE entering the last game 13-2 beat up San Fran 21 -7
2005 NE lost to Miami 28 -26
2006 NE entered the last game 11-4 and hammered the Titans 40 -23
2007 NE entered the last game 15-0 and ended up in a shoot out with the Giants winning 38-35
2008 NE entered the last game 10-5 and beat the Bills 13-0 and missed the playoffs
2009 NE entered the last game 10-5 and ended up in a shoot out with Texas and lost 27-34
2010 NE will enter no worse then 11-4.

This year will be no different, NE will enter that game and play to win and try to win hands down. There will be no throwing of this game, it isn't in Belichick's vocabulary.

You left out the most important part. Did they have anything to play for?

Back
Top Bottom