Brady accepts another below market value extension? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady accepts another below market value extension?

Vertical Limit

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know the NFL/ESPN love to make Brady a saint, and I don't hate on the guy I think he's the best quarterback in the league, but really, he accepted basically half of his value again? Apparently to create 30 million more in cap space for the Patriots over the next two years because he wants more players.

Is this really the truth, or are the Patriots hiding the real numbers/paying him under the table in order to have more space while giving Brady his deserving 20 million per year? I just don't get how this guy is always accepting below market value contracts while guys like Flacco and Brees is going to count against their team's cap about 20 million per season.

Something seems very shady and suspicious about this... I might be over thinking it but I just don't see anyone giving up so much damn money like that.

Brady is a winner and a leader. He wants more rings, going down as the best of all time means more to him than money.

I know the NFL/ESPN love to make Brady a saint, and I don't hate on the guy I think he's the best quarterback in the league, but really, he accepted basically half of his value again? Apparently to create 30 million more in cap space for the Patriots over the next two years because he wants more players.

Is this really the truth, or are the Patriots hiding the real numbers/paying him under the table in order to have more space while giving Brady his deserving 20 million per year? I just don't get how this guy is always accepting below market value contracts while guys like Flacco and Brees is going to count against their team's cap about 20 million per season.

Something seems very shady and suspicious about this... I might be over thinking it but I just don't see anyone giving up so much damn money like that.

This isn't the first time an athlete took less to help his team. If I recall, Jordan did it with the Bulls as he made all his cash from endorsements like Nike and Gatorade. From an online article: "the game's greatest player, spent most of his career outside of the top 10 highest salaries. He was the game's highest paid only in his final two years in Chicago." There has to be more as well.

Brady has some decent endorsements and he has a wife who makes far more than him. I think this is just a case of him knowing he's got a very limited window before he hangs it up. Why not try to win going out like Elway did.

Brady is NOT taking a "pay cut," he is just guaranteeing himself more money....it's just another way that the Patriots cheat in order to get by the salary cap. Mike Florio discusses the dirty little secret that everyone else has known for years about the way the Pats do things:

Teams, agents wonder about Brady deal

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2013, 4:51 AM EST
350x15-1.jpg

When I first heard about Peter King’s report that the Patriots had signed quarterback Tom Brady to a three-year, $27 million extension, I assumed the deal was worth $27 million per year.
It’s not. For committing to the Patriots in the 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons, Brady gets a total of $27 million.
It appears, as explained last night, to be nothing more than an effort to reduce Brady’s cap number in 2013 and 2014, the final two years of his existing deal. It’s hard to spread money over the years of a contract if the contract covers only two more seasons. Come 2015, the likely reality is that a new deal will be done — after the appearance that Brady has taken less is used to squeeze other players into doing the same thing, which the Pats did masterfully last decade.
Still, teams and agents are looking at the numbers and wonder what else could be going on. Whispers of a side deals already have begun in league circles, even though there is (and likely will be) no proof of a wink-nod arrangement that will see Brady get compensated in other ways......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/teams-agents-wonder-about-brady-deal/

Back
Top Bottom