Brady Poppinga: Gase might have lost the team | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady Poppinga: Gase might have lost the team

I dont think hes "lost" the locker room.

Have players checked out and not selling out on sundays? Yes.

But it goes back to Aug 3rd.

Once they saw Cutler was crap and the O couldnt produce, they stopped trying. Nothing to play for, regardless if they like the coach or not.

I believe if Gase had admitted his mistake with Cutler and turned to Moore early on, they would've played for Gase, ironically.

The team would've still been relatively poor physically speaking, but the negative mental/emotional component (low morale, poor effort, disorganization) we're seeing on Sundays wouldn't have been there.

Promote that guy!

Matt Moore is well respected by his teammates. He has flaws. But he gave this team a foxhole mentality. He's taken vicious hits and gotten back up. Led them back from deficits to win games. And is humble enough to give everyone else credit.

Gase was too hell bent to see past his own ignorance of the long term consequences of this decision to slap Moore in the face. And he's repeated the mistake time and time again staying loyal to Cutler and leaving every door open for him to start regardless of injury.

Short of cutting Cutler in season, Gase can't save this locker room.
I like Matt Moore, however too many fans tend to over estimate his skill level. Matt Moore has lost the last 4 games he started(going back to last year). He is a career back up(11 years). Not one of the other 31 teams wanted him when he was a free agent to become their starter. He is comfortable being the back up in Miami. Cutler (33years old) was retired for months before he showed up at training camp in early August. He is nothing special at this point in his career and everyone knows that, however Miami was limited in searching for a starter so late in the off season. As we have seen with Moore over and over again, energy gets you so far without the talent necessary to be a consistent NFL starter. I hope at this point in time most Miami fans should understand how much Ryan Tannehill is truly missed. It is also important to note that even when Tannehill comes back next year, we will need an upgrade in the back up QB position. Matt Moore has proven not to be good enough or talented enough to be the back up for Miami. We must draft a young QB after the first round to groom for the future incase Tannehill's knee is not quite the same. I suggest we draft a young QB even if Tannehill is healthy because he will 30 years old next season.

Last edited:
Why would a coach "lose" a team? Usually because the players don't buy into the schemes or coaching philosophies that affect THEM? What I mean by that is, if a coach tells a player to do things a certain way, and the player does it exactly that way, and it's not working... That would make a player stop believing in a coach because what that coach is teaching is hurting the players stock and ability to be good and make money.

My problem with these players saying the coach has "Lost" them is this...... We don't know if the scheme or philosophies work or not because the PLAYERS keep Jumping offsides, holding, lining up incorrectly, holding on kickoff returns, all of which would put a strain on any coaching philosophy.

How about they try not derailing the plays with penalties and maybe we can see if the coaching is bad or not.

Why would a coach "lose" a team? Usually because the players don't buy into the schemes or coaching philosophies that affect THEM? What I mean by that is, if a coach tells a player to do things a certain way, and the player does it exactly that way, and it's not working... That would make a player stop believing in a coach because what that coach is teaching is hurting the players stock and ability to be good and make money.

My problem with these players saying the coach has "Lost" them is this...... We don't know if the scheme or philosophies work or not because the PLAYERS keep Jumping offsides, holding, lining up incorrectly, holding on kickoff returns, all of which would put a strain on any coaching philosophy.

How about they try not derailing the plays with penalties and maybe we can see if the coaching is bad or not.
I think you answer your own question.
It is progression of coaching decisions. First players realized the coach failed to address the OL. Then Cutler over Moore. Then JT and Manualuga. Then bubble screen. Then Ajayi. THEN players lost interested and concentration that led to penalties.
You have your reasoning backward. Players are at the front line, first to distaste the coaching decisions and schemes. The penalties are only the result of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: <O>
I see many people asking/speaking about why the Dolphins underperform, I find myself confused as to why it is difficult to understand.

Any organization requires discipline, order and a vision. This all originates from the management, not the EMPLOYEES. Unfortunately the Dolphin hierarchy is not built for one person to have authority and thus responsibility for the three requirements. Constant attempts at delegating the responsibility (for failed policies and employee hiring/terminations (draft picks/ FA signings) are doomed to failure without the authority to create the change that is needed.

I'm reading where the Head Coach has lost the locker room, well instead of firing the coach which simply empowers the collective employees to pursue their own agenda. FIRE THE PLAYERS, PUNISH THE PLAYERS, there are many ways of doing this (running gassers, undesirable positions, suspensions, voiding contracts, waiving players, if they don't like this, IT DOESN'T MATTER. They are worker bees, worker bees should not set policy nor have an opinion in the operation of any organization (unless if asked, and this should be done RARELY and only to a select few.) NFL players are not that rare, it is a fallacy that there are too few, look at the patriots. Are they superior athletes? NO they are not, they however all conform to a single vision "DO YOUR JOB" as defined by the management. Don't do it, expect corrective actions to be taken, no if, no butts.

Example, do you think SHULA gave a damn what any single player thought? Johnson? Parcells? Walsh? Gibbs? Lombardi? Noll? Bellichek?. This is the ugly truth of humanity and why true leadership is a lonely place. Until this person is empowered to do what is needed, with a true turnaround schedule, then the cancer that destroys most of the nfl teams will continue.

Glad the board spelled out the interviewee's full name, as opposed to the filter censoring the last five letters.

I see many people asking/speaking about why the Dolphins underperform, I find myself confused as to why it is difficult to understand.

Any organization requires discipline, order and a vision. This all originates from the management, not the EMPLOYEES. Unfortunately the Dolphin hierarchy is not built for one person to have authority and thus responsibility for the three requirements. Constant attempts at delegating the responsibility (for failed policies and employee hiring/terminations (draft picks/ FA signings) are doomed to failure without the authority to create the change that is needed.

I'm reading where the Head Coach has lost the locker room, well instead of firing the coach which simply empowers the collective employees to pursue their own agenda. FIRE THE PLAYERS, PUNISH THE PLAYERS, there are many ways of doing this (running gassers, undesirable positions, suspensions, voiding contracts, waiving players, if they don't like this, IT DOESN'T MATTER. They are worker bees, worker bees should not set policy nor have an opinion in the operation of any organization (unless if asked, and this should be done RARELY and only to a select few.) NFL players are not that rare, it is a fallacy that there are too few, look at the patriots. Are they superior athletes? NO they are not, they however all conform to a single vision "DO YOUR JOB" as defined by the management. Don't do it, expect corrective actions to be taken, no if, no butts.

Example, do you think SHULA gave a damn what any single player thought? Johnson? Parcells? Walsh? Gibbs? Lombardi? Noll? Bellichek?. This is the ugly truth of humanity and why true leadership is a lonely place. Until this person is empowered to do what is needed, with a true turnaround schedule, then the cancer that destroys most of the nfl teams will continue.

Unfortunately that just isn't the reality of the NFL.

Watch this video beginning at the 0:58 mark. Even arguably the best leader of all time in the NFL didn't act like a leader when he didn't believe in the play call.

You can exhort someone to be a worker bee and do his job, but there will be a great deal more morale, energy, and enthusiasm -- all necessary ingredients for winning in a league with a great deal of physical parity among teams -- if people truly believe in what they're doing.

Bringing in Cutler and having it fail so badly so quickly shook everyone's faith in Gase's judgement. The next big thing was kicking Ajayi off the team in true Joey Philbin style. Forget that we got slammed by the Eagles on the deal, the important thing is we lost our Pro Bowl RB who gives massive effort on game day. When a guy runs like that everyone rallies behind him. We haven't been able to gain a single yard when we desperately needed to. Over and over this team can't get a yard to save a drive, a game or their lives. Gase took a gamble with Ajayi, if the offense started clicking the minute Ajayi was gone then it would appear that Ajayi was the problem. However, the O has been crap and we haven't won a game, on top of that we've been routed and embarrassed both at home and on the road. Gase's offense is so bad the defense got the germ and started playing badly. Now comes the next big thing-Everyone on the planet knows the Cutler move was a huge failure, yet Gase is starting him again over team favorite and fan favorite Matt Moore. So, is Gase in some trouble? I'd say he hasn't done anything right in a while, he better turn it around.

Who the hell is Brady poppinga? The former scrub Vikings backer ha ha stfu

It’s not a coincidence that all these teams who lost their starting qbs are done for the year

Who the hell is Brady poppinga? The former scrub Vikings backer ha ha stfu

It’s not a coincidence that all these teams who lost their starting qbs are done for the year
He has more access than you and me.

No he doesn't. What access does he have to the Fins locker room......he's qualified because he was once in one?

Give me a break.
Yes he does. NFL players talk to each other, thats a known fact. It will be inconceivable that Poppinga doesn't talk to at least a few players in regular bases, that is his job. He may or may not have direct access inside dolphins locker room, but he sure have information thur his contacts.

Blanket statement that he doesn't have more information than you and me is just inconvenient truth for you. It is without any critical thinking, and kill the messenger.

Last edited:
Poppinga could just be parroting someone's opinion. There could be zero fact here. But, I believe Gase is compounding his mistake by starting Cutler again. After 3 picks just quietly dump the guy and write off the money. I'd guess that most of this team does not want to play with Cutler, we're seeing it on the field. It's just amazing how the wheels came off the minute Cutler got here, the guy is a team morale destroyer. Gase is only making himself look like an ass by still hanging with this loser of a QB. I sure don't expect much against Denver.

I dont think hes "lost" the locker room.

Have players checked out and not selling out on sundays? Yes.

But it goes back to Aug 3rd.

Once they saw Cutler was crap and the O couldnt produce, they stopped trying. Nothing to play for, regardless if they like the coach or not.

They will magically play harder/better next year when the QB is back.

9/10 times when a team loses the starting QB the season goes down the drain.. dont be so surprised.

Its funny how the idea that #QBwinz is all the rage now.

Its like when Tannehill ranked low at passer rating it was a team stat. But when he was top 10 it was now a QB stat.

Its funny how the idea that #QBwinz is all the rage now.

Its like when Tannehill ranked low at passer rating it was a team stat. But when he was top 10 it was now a QB stat.

It's always been a QB stat. Otherwise Aaron Rodgers's highest career passer rating in NFL history would be more a Green Bay Packers' stat and less of one reflecting Rodgers's individual ability.

Does anyone really believe that?

The definitive information regarding the issue is that all QBs fluctuate in passer rating from year to year, with the fluctuation's likely being due to primarily to variation in QBs' surroundings from year to year.

However, better QBs fluctuate in passer rating at a level significantly higher than that of worse QBs. What could explain that other than QBs' individual ability?

You can't possibly tell me that better QBs are always the recipients of better surroundings than worse QBs, and that's why their passer ratings fluctuate at a significantly higher level. That doesn't compute.

Back
Top Bottom