Brady Quinn product of system | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady Quinn product of system

islanddolphin said:
Did anyone hear O.J. McDuffie say this morning on his show that Quinn is just a product of the system and isnt that good. I have thought for a while that Quinn is the same player who didnt not look good in Ty's system the previous two years but is looking great now. I have a feeling Quinn will come into the NFL and wont get the job done. Just a feeling. He doesnt have the pure passing ability and great size of Leinart or the athletic ability and arm strength of some of the other quarterbacks. I know Brady doesnt either and he has played great but once again same system. So unless we plan on changing offensive coordinators and systems I think the Dolphins need to draft a quarterback that fits what they are doing now. Someone who is athletic, can roll out, with great touch on the deep ball.

I've posted about that. I have a real strong feeling Quinn is a product of the system. I just don't think he makes this great progress if Weis hadn't shown up to coach at ND. I can see Weis having similar success with other QBs, but I just dont think Quinn would have had similar success with other HCs.

islanddolphin said:
Did anyone hear O.J. McDuffie say this morning on his show that Quinn is just a product of the system and isnt that good. I have thought for a while that Quinn is the same player who didnt not look good in Ty's system the previous two years but is looking great now. I have a feeling Quinn will come into the NFL and wont get the job done. Just a feeling. He doesnt have the pure passing ability and great size of Leinart or the athletic ability and arm strength of some of the other quarterbacks. I know Brady doesnt either and he has played great but once again same system. So unless we plan on changing offensive coordinators and systems I think the Dolphins need to draft a quarterback that fits what they are doing now. Someone who is athletic, can roll out, with great touch on the deep ball.

You can have your opinion on whether he is a product of the system or not, but you are wrong here.

Brady Quinn is a rock solid 6'4" and 230 lbs. Very prototypical size. And he DOES have a strong arm.

islanddolphin said:

So, he's a product of a pro style system? What part of that makes you believe that he won't do well in the NFL?

The guy has the smarts. He's got the arm. He's finally a mechanically sound quarterback. He's got great footwork in the pocket.

Brady Quinn isn't the product of a system. He's a product of good quarterback coaching, which is something that the large majority of colleges don't have.

A quarterback being a product of a system is like the Texas Tech. quarterbacks, Tim Couch at Kentucky, the Florida QBs under Spurrier.....system quarterbacks are quarterbacks that are mechanically flawed because they have been taught to play in this particular system, and their skills simply don't translate to the next level.

Brady Quinn's skills translate to the next level very well.

You guys talk as if guys stop developing the day they enter the nfl... Brady Quinn DOES have the size, the awareness, the competitiveness and the strong arm that would go well in almost any nfl system. Is he as polished as leinart? I don't think he's even close. But once he is (2 years down the road?) he'll have the intangibles leinart has (poise, confidence, touch... whatever) with the physical tools needed to succeed at an nfl level. I think it's his incredible potential that has so many people (including mueller, linehan and ME!!) high on him.

KB21 said:
So, he's a product of a pro style system? What part of that makes you believe that he won't do well in the NFL?

The guy has the smarts. He's got the arm. He's finally a mechanically sound quarterback. He's got great footwork in the pocket.

Brady Quinn isn't the product of a system. He's a product of good quarterback coaching, which is something that the large majority of colleges don't have.

A quarterback being a product of a system is like the Texas Tech. quarterbacks, Tim Couch at Kentucky, the Florida QBs under Spurrier.....system quarterbacks are quarterbacks that are mechanically flawed because they have been taught to play in this particular system, and their skills simply don't translate to the next level.

Brady Quinn's skills translate to the next level very well.

Million dollar question... Does he come out and we will get a shoty at him? I think Saban is drooling over him!!!

DolphinDevil28 said:
You can have your opinion on whether he is a product of the system or not, but you are wrong here.

Brady Quinn is a rock solid 6'4" and 230 lbs. Very prototypical size. And he DOES have a strong arm.

So did ryan leaf....

shellgh0st said:
I've posted about that. I have a real strong feeling Quinn is a product of the system. I just don't think he makes this great progress if Weis hadn't shown up to coach at ND. I can see Weis having similar success with other QBs, but I just dont think Quinn would have had similar success with other HCs.

That's because Charlie Weiss is a QB's kind of coach. Ty Willingham's program stinks. I'm sorry, have you ever seen a quality QB come from his program? Give credit where credit is due, Brady Quinn has blossomed because of the attention Charlie Weiss has given to him, not just the system. That's such a broad statement - "It's the system" - and could be applied to any player in any facet of the game. Maybe this has eluded you for eons, but the NFL is comprised of certain players who fit certain systems so this argument over him being a product of a system is ridiculous. You aren't a Pats hater carrying your hatred on over to Weiss because he was their OC are you? Quinn's got all the physical attributes a coach could want and is extremely athletic. He makes good reads, gutsy, his passes are on the money, and he's obviously taken control of the huddle. For christs sake he's running a pro-style offense and is doing amazing in it - by that notion alone he's already at least a little bit ahead of the curve when it comes to other QB's heading into the NFL.

Look, last year when I was watching ND people were already starting to talk about him and I didn't see it so I know where you're coming from. However, I decided to open my eyes a little and actually watch him.

BlaznRoarn said:
So did ryan leaf....

Ya, well so did Carson Palmer.........how's about that?

I hate when people play that Ryan Leaf card - it has absolutely no relevance.

Psychosikes said:
You guys talk as if guys stop developing the day they enter the nfl... Brady Quinn DOES have the size, the awareness, the competitiveness and the strong arm that would go well in almost any nfl system. Is he as polished as leinart? I don't think he's even close. But once he is (2 years down the road?) he'll have the intangibles leinart has (poise, confidence, touch... whatever) with the physical tools needed to succeed at an nfl level. I think it's his incredible potential that has so many people (including mueller, linehan and ME!!) high on him.

As far as athletic ability Brady Quinn is leagues ahead of Leinart. Leinart's your prototypical pocket QB.

dolphan117 said:
If you are going to say that then I think you have to say Brady is just a product too.

Might be a just alittle much to say Brady is a system QB.

His stats via ESPN, project Brady to have the same QB rating without Weiss.
It's way too early to tell if he can continue to improve without Weiss's tutoring.

Tom Brady
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2330

As this relates to Quinn? Heck I don't know.

KB21 said:

Bingo bango bongo............. Weiss was the key. He was masterful with Tom Brady and now he's doing it with Brady Quinn. It's amazing to me that nobody can give the man credit for helping with Quinn's blossoming.

gottahavefootba said:
Well if you are gonna compare him to Leinart it is very easy to say Leinart is just the product of a great team.

Exactly, I have said all along, take away Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarret, etc etc and see how many national titles he leads his team to, or how many Heisman trophies he wins, or how much hype he has. Was Joe Montana the best QB ever? No, but people argue he is. Why? because "he has more SB victories than Marino etc etc". Well, SB victories don't measure the QB, they measure the TEAM. What do you need to win a SB? A great TEAM. Could Joe have been THAT good without Jerry Rice and company? No, and Leinart wouldn't be without Bush and company. I see Leinart make many mistakes throwing, especially in critical situations. He would be eaten alive by defenses if they didn't have to respect the run with TWO future first-rounders back there. Whatever team he goes to is going to be a struggling team, just like every top QB in the draft. He isn't going be dropped into the USC of the NFL where he has a great supporting cast to make his job easier. He is going to go into a very poor team with tons of holes and problems and have to carry them on his back, he isn;t good enough to do that. "Great" college QB (in most people's eyes, I personally think he is a product of his team), bad NFL QB.

As already has been said, every Qb is a product of the system. The key is how good your coaching is at the QB position. No position needs better coaching than QB. If Quinn is only a product of the system then what does that make Leinart? Last time I checked, USC voted Bush their MVP last year and will do the same this year. Walker hasn't broken any 81 yards runs lately. Leinart is playing with arguably the greatest college player of the last three decades.

All that being said, Leinart, Young and Quinn are very similiar players. The are accurate, poised, not afraid to make the big play, can read defenses, and have strong arms(I know this point can be debated but I've watched them both make all the throws this year). They will all be very good QBs in the NFL if patience is shown and they are allowed to develop. Palmer is the perfect example, allowed to adjust and grow into being a starting QB, not rushed into it on a very bad team, ala Mirer, Leaf, and Carr. I don't think any QB will play that well on a very bad team. Big Ben was blessed with an awesome team. Peyton didn't have a great first year. We need to draft a QB but he needs to be shown patience and allowed to develop. NO need to rush him in unless he is ready for the job.

Back
Top Bottom