Brady's suspension/appeal process | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady's suspension/appeal process

malzacher

Scout Team
Reaction score
As we all know by now Brady was suspended for four games, appealed the suspension and lost. He's now going to take this suspension to the courts. I don't understand this. If I get suspended from my job can I too take it to the courts? This isn't a court of law this is the NFL they have certain guidelines and if violated you pay the consequences, just like real life. How are they able to take it to court?

Because of collective bargaining...... The NFLPA has the right to represent their members in court if they feel something has been done to one of those members that doesn't follow the CBA. And just so you know...... If you got suspended from your job...... You could take your employer to court.

Check out this article TheWalrus showed me in VIP chat yesterday. It is an excellent write up on what is to happen next.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the National Football League Players Association and their lawyers say they will ask a federal judge for an injunction that will prevent the NFL from enforcing the four-game suspension that commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed Tuesday in a detailed decision. Brady's threat of litigation and Goodell's decision raise questions about a court's role in a collectively-bargained arbitration process:

Question: Will Brady succeed in court and stop the NFL from suspending him for four games?

Answer: No, Brady will not succeed. Although he enjoys top-of-the-line legal representation and his lawyers will file a brilliantly written lawsuit, his effort to stop the suspension is doomed. There are two reasons why: First, federal judges are reluctant to reconsider the rulings of arbitrators; second, Goodell produced a decision on Brady that is brilliantly reasoned, meticulously detailed, and well-written. Goodell's recitation of the evidence of the tampering with game balls is powerful, and his description of Brady's attempt at a cover-up is persuasive.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-short-court-challenge-roger-goodell-decision

Back
Top Bottom