Brandon Marshall is a Top 3 WR in the NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TrueDiesel3, Jul 2, 2010.

?

is B-Marsh a Top 3 WR in the NFL to you?

1. Yes, he's at least a Top 3 WR in the NFL

87.1%
  2. No, he's not a Top 3 WR in the NFL.

12.9%
  1. TrueDiesel3

TrueDiesel3 Active Member

Trust me, if you don't believe me, especially if you think Randy Moss is better than him for whatever reason. I'm a (former) Broncos fan and I saw a lot of games from last season, he's definitely a Top 3 WR in the NFL and a lot of analysts will agree with me. You guys should too. The only two WRs I think are better than him is Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

2. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Top 5-7 for sure but I guess you can make an argument for maybe 3.

I think unquestionably its 1.A.Johnson 2. Fitz then you can debate him with the OchoCinco's and Jennings of the world.
    Chubbs

3. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I think there are a number of receivers ahead of him Fitzgeral, Johnson, Bolden, Driver (maybe), Wayne, Steve Smith (way better), Rice (possibly...), Jackson...

Top three is a BIG statement....Top 10...yes...I wouldn't even go Top 5.

4. TrueDiesel3

What kind of football are you guys watching? Driver? Boldin? Wayne? Rice? ROFL

5. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Well, even if you just go on stats...you don't get to Marshall until 14...

As a wise man once said, "I do not consider the thoughts of those I do not respect." Start making wise-cracks after you earn some cred around here "9-poster."

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Now that he's on my team I get to say yes but before he was traded here I would have said more like top 5 or 6. Either way, you're splitting hairs when you get up there. Sort of like this running Jake Long/Ryan Clady debate, which I know can get fierce, but it's still just splitting hairs about two extremely good players.

7. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

lol @
    Boldin
    Driver
    Smith
    Rice
    Jackson

8. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Brandon Marshall

9. TrueDiesel3

Let's see someone is already laughing at who you think is better than Marsh and you are the only one that voted No on the poll. Yeah I'm not the credible one here.......*sarcasm*

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

But for the record no, Donald Driver, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith (both) and Sidney Rice...I'm not putting those guys ahead of Marshall. A few of them (Driver and Boldin), I wouldn't even dare to put in company with Marshall.

I think the upper echelon of WRs right now includes guys like Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Sidney Rice, Miles Austin, Steve L. Smith, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Roddy White, Chad OchoCinco and Mike Sims-Walker. If you've got one of those guys, you're pretty golden at that spot, makes life easier on a lot of the rest of your players. But where you want to rate them all, I don't even know that it matters that much.

I think some new blood that will eventually get up into that realm include Michael Crabtree, Hakeem Nicks and Dez Bryant.

11. EaTiNgCrOw

EaTiNgCrOw Banned Hammered

Im gonna have to side with the "9-poster" on this one....Boldin better than Marsh is lunacy, and the same goes for Smith, Driver and Jackson...with the only exceptions being Wayne and MAYBE Rice...you could make an arguement for Wayne. Probably not for Rice but I just personally like him. Now I think Smith used to be top 3 but not anymore, and dont say because he hasnt had a QB, because then a whole mess of WR come up in this debate, namely Calvin who has top 3 maybe top 2 talent, just not a QB yet.

But Marsh is definitely deserving of a top 5 spot and IMO a top 3 spot with out a doubt.

12. 23EmilioVasquez

23EmilioVasquez Seasoned Veteran

lets be honest if it wasn't for his troubled past we would be arguing whether or not he is the best overall WR

what do Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald have that Marshall doesn't

13. MiZFiT

MiZFiT FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Larry finds the endzone more and has better hands.

Andre amounts more yards.

I think they both are better than Marshall but its not a wide margin.

14. hardhitn23

hardhitn23 Active Member

Well, he is ranked the 3rd best WR in madden 2011 :)

15. 23EmilioVasquez

23EmilioVasquez Seasoned Veteran

also

Orton < Cutler
    Cutler < Schaub
    Schuab < Warner

16. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

The problem I have with Marshall is that he does not stretch the field. His avg per catch is much lower than many at 11.1 yds/catch. Statistically he is a lot like Welker...who I consider a great receiver, but not Top 3 either.

You laugh at Jackson either one of them...they both had more yards last year and had averages of 17.2 and 18.6 yds/catch.
    Smith by the way...I meant the Carolina one...not the NYG one (who is pretty good also) If he was younger (car one), I would take him in an instant over Marshall.
    Don't even Talk about Fitz or Andre...without a doubt the discussion starts at #3...
    You may not like Rice either, but last year was a break-out year and all he did was make plays at key times. 4th in the league in yards and a 15.8 average.

You guys can laugh...but the plain fact is that Marshall falls into a large group of "Tier 2" receivers.

You know...I remember quite a few folks arguing the same thing before Marshall became a Dolphin...fun how "rose-colored glass" change the world...

17. MiZFiT

Warner < Henne

:up:

18. MiZFiT

How is Marshall in the second tier of recievers if he is talked about as the #3 best WR in the league. Even you say it starts there.

I agree Fitz and Andre are better but Marshall is way above the second tier of recievers. He is top 5-7.

19. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I always considered him the #2 behind Andre even before the talks of him coming here. He is flat out dominant and a wrecking ball in the open field. I'd take him over Fitz.

20. TrueDiesel3

You think his noddled arm QB, Orton has anything to do with that? Or his stupid head coach, Josh McDaniels? Jesus, get a clue.

21. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I have always considered Marshall to be third behind Fitzgerald and Johnson.

However at the end of the day, whether you consider him the best or even fifth, it is just nice to finally have an elite wide receiver that is always in the conversation for best in the league.

22. MiZFiT

You're crazy if you'd take Marshall over Fitz. Fitz scores almost every game. He gets about as many yards as Marshall but way more TDs.

23. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

I think he is a top 5 receiver. I wouldn't put him in the top 3 yet, but he is close.

24. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I just believe that Fitz, Johnson, and Smith (CAR-when he isn't hurt) are considerablly above others. The second tier has a lot of guys....I'd say about 10, or even more which fall in this group.

25. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Saying that Marshall doesn't stretch the field based upon his YPC is silly. He catches more passes around the line of scrimmage than most WR's. If he were in systems like Fitzgerald, his YPC would shoot way up. Marshall averaged 13 YPC his second season (while catching over 100 balls). When you look at some of Marshall's highlight plays, it's absolutely stupid - pure and simple - to say that he's not a deep threat. Also, he's a tremendous red zone threat. In the right offense, he's a 15 TD per year kind of player.

In terms of style of play, he somewhere between A. Johnson and L. Fitzgerald. Like CK said, once you get to a certain point, you're splitting hairs.

Note: saying that you're crazy if you'd take Marshall over Fitzgerald because of TD's scored, you should be aware than A. Johnson has never scored more than 9 TD's in a season (1 less than Marshall's career best). I think both players are capable of scoring between 15 and 20 TD's every season.

26. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

The reason I like Fitz is because he comes up with the catches when it counts and he goes up owns the ball when its in the air...CONSISTENTLY. Look at the SB...didnn't everyone in America knowthat Fitz was going to be the go-to guy in the second half and he still owned the game...

Johnson...he is just in a league of his own.

27. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I don't disagree with you at all. The point is that we are "just splitting hairs". But some of these comments are as if one is clearly above the others. He falls in a group of very good receivers...some of which I think are better. Just my "split of the hair"...

28. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Ayatollah of rock and rolla

To assume an offensive coordinator would turn a guy who could average 16-17 yards a catch into a guy who averages 11 yards a catch is what's silly. It's the coordinator's job to maximize the yards the offense gains per play. The reason Marshall catches a lot of balls behind the line of scrimmage or close to it is the same reason Davone Bess catches a lot of balls behind the line of scrimmage or close to it -- getting open down the field isn't his specialty. Marshall is too physical to be covered in the short area and he's fabulous after the catch, but getting open deep isn't something he does spectacularly well. Marshall admits this in interviews openly. Therefore coordinators don't send him deep with regularity. Why would they? You've got to match the role to the player, and so far Marshall's coaches have done that with him very well.

Also, to respond to an analysis of Marshall's play by pointing to highlights you've watched -- no doubt on YouTube, probably while masturbating furiously -- is what's stupid. You've got to come to the debate better armed than that.

29. TrueDiesel3

Other than Fitzgerald and Johnson, nobody has an argument..... Moss? No. Wayne? No. Smith? No......Nobody other than those two have an argument.

30. FinsDBess15

FinsDBess15 Well-Known Member

Driver??? Rice??? Smith??? Boldin??? lmao ya ok. da only receivers ahead of him r Johnson, Fitzgerald, nd maybe Wayne and its not a big margin he could easily be top 3 (Go 9 poster!) lol

31. Prime

Prime FinHeaven Elite

That statement will even make my grandmother laugh. You cant judge a player based on stats. You have to you know, actually watch the guy play. Marshall is a top 5 WR no question. He isnt better then Fitz or Andre, but you can make an argument for being the 3rd best. I guarantee you that if you ask any player or coach in the NFL where do they rank Marshall, that he will be at the very top.

32. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

I am not arguing that Fitz is #2. Fitz' playoff performance in 08 was unparalleled...even by the great Jerry Rice.

However, I am interested in seeing how it plays out this year without Warner throwing to him. Warner was a terrific passer as long as he had time. One of the best of all-time. Meanwhile, Marshall grabbed 100 passes from the immortal Kyle Orton in 15 games. Now that Fitz will probably have Leinhart tossing him the pigskin and Marshall will have Henne I would not be surprised to see Marhall topping Fitz for #2 at the end of the year.

33. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Yes, I've watched every single one of his plays for the past two years, as well as every play of every other player in the league (I love SuperFan...)

So...you say he is Top 5...why not Top 3 like the other think? You mean there may be room for argument?

34. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I'll agree with you there. I have zero confidence in Winehard...

35. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Rather inappropriate - not that I especially mind. But, Fitzgerald has never been especially good at getting open down the field. He's especially good at going up and getting the ball when covered. He's not a Randy Moss (in his prime), who burns the defense. Marshall is similar in that regard. He's probably the second best WR in the league (to Fitzgerald) at catching the ball up high in traffic. Look at his play against Dallas. Look at a few of the catches he had against the Giants. And, he did actually burn the Redskins (something Fitzgerald rarely does) for a couple of deep balls last season. When I see that type of ability, and then I see 11.1 YPC, I say it falls on the situations they're putting him in. And, it's pretty silly to assume that an OC is getting the most out of his players just because it's his job to do so. You did watch our D last season, didn't you?

36. xxdolfanxx

xxdolfanxx Well-Known Member

Top 3 for sure! Fitzgerald played well in a couple playoff games big deal! NO doubt Andre Johnson is the best reciever in the NFL. I can't really think of anyone else who is more of a Beast than B Marsh. Other than Welker, Marshall is the only wideout to catch 3 consecutive +100 balls in a season. Moss is old and Wayne is too inconsistent.

37. MiZFiT

Umm, Fitz has caught 35 TDs the last 3 seasons. That is 12 more than Marshall in that span. If you wanna pull out stats, Fitz has stats.

38. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

I hate it when people bring this up.. because it means they haven't done any research at all and don't know the facts.. And /or they don't watch enough football to even lay claim to be worthy of writing a post about the subject.

The truth is Marshall ran A LOT of quick screens (and quick passes) for the Broncos over the past 2 years.. Much more often than any of the 'other' top receivers in the league.

By default that will always bring your YPC numbers down. But they did that because Marshall is so physical and is very good at gaining some yards on screens (or quick passes) after the catch... although it will bring his overall YPC number down, naturally.

But that had to do with coaching and their gameplan in Denver, it wasn't so much about Marshall's overall talents and what he can do for the right team.

Anyone who brings up Marshall's YPC number should be shot, when they try to use it in conjunction with his talent level.. because they have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to football and have very little (if any) basic understandings the game.

39. TrueDiesel3

Then can you explain why you voted no?

40. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

You're totally right. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Shannahan's red-zone offense primarily run-first? If so, this could definitely account for his lack of TDs in comparison.