Brandon Marshall is a Top 3 WR in the NFL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall is a Top 3 WR in the NFL

is B-Marsh a Top 3 WR in the NFL to you?

• Total voters
The problem I have with Marshall is that he does not stretch the field. His avg per catch is much lower than many at 11.1 yds/catch. Statistically he is a lot like Welker...who I consider a great receiver, but not Top 3 either.

You laugh at Jackson either one of them...they both had more yards last year and had averages of 17.2 and 18.6 yds/catch.
Smith by the way...I meant the Carolina one...not the NYG one (who is pretty good also) If he was younger (car one), I would take him in an instant over Marshall.
Don't even Talk about Fitz or Andre...without a doubt the discussion starts at #3...
You may not like Rice either, but last year was a break-out year and all he did was make plays at key times. 4th in the league in yards and a 15.8 average.

You guys can laugh...but the plain fact is that Marshall falls into a large group of "Tier 2" receivers.

You know...I remember quite a few folks arguing the same thing before Marshall became a Dolphin...fun how "rose-colored glass" change the world...

That statement will even make my grandmother laugh. You cant judge a player based on stats. You have to you know, actually watch the guy play. Marshall is a top 5 WR no question. He isnt better then Fitz or Andre, but you can make an argument for being the 3rd best. I guarantee you that if you ask any player or coach in the NFL where do they rank Marshall, that he will be at the very top.

The reason I like Fitz is because he comes up with the catches when it counts and he goes up owns the ball when its in the air...CONSISTENTLY. Look at the SB...didnn't everyone in America knowthat Fitz was going to be the go-to guy in the second half and he still owned the game...

Johnson...he is just in a league of his own.

I am not arguing that Fitz is #2. Fitz' playoff performance in 08 was unparalleled...even by the great Jerry Rice.

However, I am interested in seeing how it plays out this year without Warner throwing to him. Warner was a terrific passer as long as he had time. One of the best of all-time. Meanwhile, Marshall grabbed 100 passes from the immortal Kyle Orton in 15 games. Now that Fitz will probably have Leinhart tossing him the pigskin and Marshall will have Henne I would not be surprised to see Marhall topping Fitz for #2 at the end of the year.

That statement will even make my grandmother laugh. You cant judge a player based on stats. You have to you know, actually watch the guy play. Marshall is a top 5 WR no question. He isnt better then Fitz or Andre, but you can make an argument for being the 3rd best. I guarantee you that if you ask any player or coach in the NFL where do they rank Marshall, that he will be at the very top.

Yes, I've watched every single one of his plays for the past two years, as well as every play of every other player in the league (I love SuperFan...)

So...you say he is Top 5...why not Top 3 like the other think? You mean there may be room for argument?

I am not arguing that Fitz is #2. Fitz' playoff performance in 08 was unparalleled...even by the great Jerry Rice.

However, I am interested in seeing how it plays out this year without Warner throwing to him. Warner was a terrific passer as long as he had time. One of the best of all-time. Meanwhile, Marshall grabbed 100 passes from the immortal Kyle Orton in 15 games. Now that Fitz will probably have Leinhart tossing him the pigskin and Marshall will have Henne I would not be surprised to see Marhall topping Fitz for #2 at the end of the year.

I'll agree with you there. I have zero confidence in Winehard...

To assume an offensive coordinator would turn a guy who could average 16-17 yards a catch into a guy who averages 11 yards a catch is what's silly. It's the coordinator's job to maximize the yards the offense gains per play. The reason Marshall catches a lot of balls behind the line of scrimmage or close to it is the same reason Davone Bess catches a lot of balls behind the line of scrimmage or close to it -- getting open down the field isn't his specialty. Marshall is too physical to be covered in the short area and he's fabulous after the catch, but getting open deep isn't something he does spectacularly well. Marshall admits this in interviews openly. Therefore coordinators don't send him deep with regularity. Why would they? You've got to match the role to the player, and so far Marshall's coaches have done that with him very well.

Also, to respond to an analysis of Marshall's play by pointing to highlights you've watched -- no doubt on YouTube, probably while masturbating furiously -- is what's stupid. You've got to come to the debate better armed than that.

Rather inappropriate - not that I especially mind. But, Fitzgerald has never been especially good at getting open down the field. He's especially good at going up and getting the ball when covered. He's not a Randy Moss (in his prime), who burns the defense. Marshall is similar in that regard. He's probably the second best WR in the league (to Fitzgerald) at catching the ball up high in traffic. Look at his play against Dallas. Look at a few of the catches he had against the Giants. And, he did actually burn the Redskins (something Fitzgerald rarely does) for a couple of deep balls last season. When I see that type of ability, and then I see 11.1 YPC, I say it falls on the situations they're putting him in. And, it's pretty silly to assume that an OC is getting the most out of his players just because it's his job to do so. You did watch our D last season, didn't you?

Top 3 for sure! Fitzgerald played well in a couple playoff games big deal! NO doubt Andre Johnson is the best reciever in the NFL. I can't really think of anyone else who is more of a Beast than B Marsh. Other than Welker, Marshall is the only wideout to catch 3 consecutive +100 balls in a season. Moss is old and Wayne is too inconsistent.

Top 3 for sure! Fitzgerald played well in a couple playoff games big deal! NO doubt Andre Johnson is the best reciever in the NFL. I can't really think of anyone else who is more of a Beast than B Marsh. Other than Welker, Marshall is the only wideout to catch 3 consecutive +100 balls in a season. Moss is old and Wayne is too inconsistent.

Umm, Fitz has caught 35 TDs the last 3 seasons. That is 12 more than Marshall in that span. If you wanna pull out stats, Fitz has stats.

The problem I have with Marshall is that he does not stretch the field. His avg per catch is much lower than many at 11.1 yds/catch. Statistically he is a lot like Welker...who I consider a great receiver, but not Top 3 either.

I hate it when people bring this up.. because it means they haven't done any research at all and don't know the facts.. And /or they don't watch enough football to even lay claim to be worthy of writing a post about the subject.

The truth is Marshall ran A LOT of quick screens (and quick passes) for the Broncos over the past 2 years.. Much more often than any of the 'other' top receivers in the league.

By default that will always bring your YPC numbers down. But they did that because Marshall is so physical and is very good at gaining some yards on screens (or quick passes) after the catch... although it will bring his overall YPC number down, naturally.

But that had to do with coaching and their gameplan in Denver, it wasn't so much about Marshall's overall talents and what he can do for the right team.

Anyone who brings up Marshall's YPC number should be shot, when they try to use it in conjunction with his talent level.. because they have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to football and have very little (if any) basic understandings the game.

Then can you explain why you voted no?

I hate it when people bring this up.. because it means they haven't done any research at all and don't know the facts.. And /or they don't watch enough football to even lay claim to be worthy of writing a post about the subject.

The truth is Marshall ran A LOT of quick screens (and quick passes) for the Broncos over the past 2 years.. Much more often than any of the 'other' top receivers in the league.

By default that will always bring your YPC numbers down. But they did that because Marshall is so physical and is very good at gaining some yards on screens (or quick passes) after the catch... although it will bring his overall YPC number down, naturally.

But that had to do with coaching and their gameplan in Denver, it wasn't so much about Marshall's overall talents and what he can do for the right team.

Anyone who brings up Marshall's YPC number should be shot, when they try to use it in conjunction with his talent level.. because they have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to football and have very little (if any) basic understandings the game.
You're totally right. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Shannahan's red-zone offense primarily run-first? If so, this could definitely account for his lack of TDs in comparison.

I think there are a number of receivers ahead of him Fitzgeral, Johnson, Bolden, Driver (maybe), Wayne, Steve Smith (way better), Rice (possibly...), Jackson...

Top three is a BIG statement....Top 10...yes...I wouldn't even go Top 5.

Steve smith way better....you've lost your mind

It's not cause he's a dolphin now but last year I dreamed and wished we had someone like fitz, Johnson, and Marshall in that order... Austin, rice, Wayne(manning helps) ocho would've done but glad we got marshall...really I've been waiting longer than last year

Since everyone seems to be scared to say it. I'll just say it, Brandon Marshall is the best WR in the NFL plain and simple.
He will do what T.O did for Philly and what Moss did for the patriots when they got there. B. Marshall will have the same effect for us this year. Yyards per catch will go up.

Since everyone seems to be scared to say it. I'll just say it, Brandon Marshall is the best WR in the NFL plain and simple.
He will do what T.O did for Philly and what Moss did for the patriots when they got there. B. Marshall will have the same effect for us this year. Yyards per catch will go up.

No sane person is scared to say Marshall is the best in the NFL. We are being realistic. Watching Andre Johnson play, it is easy to see that he is the best WR in the game. Doesnt hurt that he has the stats to back it up either.

I voted no, but it's extremely close. The way I see it is:
1. Andre Johnson- the complete package. Size,speed,strenght,and hands.
2. Larry Fitzgerald-Attacks the ball at its highest point so well.
3. Calvin Johnson- Just a freak. One of the best athletes in the league. If not for playing on the Lions I have no doubt others would put him up here too.
4. Miles Austin- Yea, say what you want about how he has only done it for one season. I don't care. Almost physical as Brandon Marshall with a sick double-move.
5. Brandon Marshall- Hands and yards after catch separate him from all second tier recievers.

Back
Top Bottom