Brandon Marshall tells Davone Bess that Bess will have a pro bowl year | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall tells Davone Bess that Bess will have a pro bowl year

Bess has body control that is rare, even rare to find in the NFL. Its utterly amazing.

Bess also has one of the best forms I have seen in some time catching the ball, its picture perfect everytime and he makes it seems like slow motion while looking the ball in each time.

I see Bess getting 60-80 catches this year.

totally agree. Bess will have a big year because you would be a total fool not to use his incredible particular skills, irrespective of who the other WRs are. Marshall will give Bess more space and Bess will take it.

So most of us measure the pure physical talent of a player but it is the mental side of the game in the mental toughness that you usually find a player like Wes who is more talented.
I think we see the same thing between Turner and Hartline.
\

I just can't see the hype around Hartline. He's honest, he's tough, he's worth having in the receiving corps. But he's not all that.

Bess has body control that is rare, even rare to find in the NFL. Its utterly amazing.

Bess also has one of the best forms I have seen in some time catching the ball, its picture perfect everytime and he makes it seems like slow motion while looking the ball in each time.

I see Bess getting 60-80 catches this year.

Very true, he's made some SICK catches. I think if someone were to put together a vid of his best catches, it would compare with the best right now. Not even exaggerating. Made one on his back, a one hander while twisting his body, one where he jumped in the air, stretched his arms out completely, basically jumping over the corner.. he's insane.

I just can't see the hype around Hartline. He's honest, he's tough, he's worth having in the receiving corps. But he's not all that.

Which applies to my point they say the kid is tough and smart what they are implying is that Turner is more athletically gifted than Hartline just either does have the traits Harline has yet to get on the field. Tony S kept talking about how smart Hartline was last year all the time. The same has been said about Greg C..

I like Bess as a player but who the hell is he juking and taking off. 3 tds in 130 receptions is not a breakaway guy. Bess is pretty similar to Welker but I definately think Welker is the better player. He is pretty underrated , no other player that would catch 110 passes a year three years in a row would be treated like he is just a product of the system. My question to that is how come nobody else has produced like that. Hell he led us in receiving without even being a starter.

When I see threads like this I have to roll my eye backwards. I think this is a little bit too much to call bess a pro bowl wide receiver. This is more of a mental factor than anything.

Tom Brady isn't stupid. He knows he has Moss who commands double teams, which leaves a huge advantage sucjh as a linebacker covering a shifty welker, and he feeds off of that. The simialrities are falling into place with our recievers now. Marshall will command the double team, which leaves Bess/Hartline?Cammy with the mismatches. Needless to say, I'm stoked about this season!

bess doesn't have wes welkers quick burst acceleration...that's the difference imo...

welkers not fast but he gets up to speed much faster than bess...i'm not sure bess is as shifty as welker either...

Welker is shiftier and more elusive than Bess. Welker's acceleration is amazing Bess is good but he doesn't have Welker type quickness and acceleration.

This is correct. Welker is cat quick and accelerates on a dime. Bess is dependable, has good hands (I predict he will not have another period of dropsies like he had last year), and is elusive enough. Just not as good as Welker. But, regardless Bess is the here and now and I am grateful we have him.

Last edited by a moderator:
People forget that Bess is only just now entering his 3rd year as a pro.

Here are some reality checks.

1. At this point in his career Wes Welker had 29 catches for 431 yards and 0 TDs to his name. Davone Bess has 130 catches for 1312 yards and 3 TDs. And don't give me any sob stories about Welker's humble beginnings, because let's face it Bess' beginnings were just as humble. They both were UDFAs after being really productive college players.

2. They have basically the same athleticism, except Davone's is probably a little bit better. Go check their Combine/Pro Day numbers if you like. Welker ran a 4.65 at his Pro Day, had a 30" vertical, 9'5" broad jump, 4.01 shuttle and 7.09 cone. Davone Bess ran a 4.64/2.61/1.53 at the Combine, and a 4.60/2.66/1.59 at his Pro Day. He jumped 31.5" and 32.5". He jumps 9'7" and 9'10". His shuttles were 4.27 and 4.28. His cones were 6.97 and 7.15. Bess was 5'10" and 194 lbs. Welker was 5'9" and 195 lbs.

You have to think back, it's easy to compare Welker NOW with what he's accomplished, to Bess now when he's only a 2nd year player. But to be fair you have to think back to what Welker had shown us after his 2nd year in the pros. I think that if you knew nothing about Wes Welker's future and you were to rip him out of the past and put him next to Davone Bess right now, everyone here would hands down rate Bess the better football player.

The one difference I've seen between the two so far is that in his 2nd year Welker didn't have a period where he kept dropping the ball and/or fumbling it. I wasn't sure if that was something in Bess that indicates he'll keep dropping passes, or if it was just some kind of weird sophomore thing that happens to even the best. But Welker didn't really have the opportunity to have that kind of phase because he only caught 29 passes his 2nd year.

I could see a similar thing happening in 2010 with the Dolphins as happened in 2007 with the Patriots. Not necessarily the record-breaking passing offense but in terms of Bess being a go-to player for catches, Marshall being a go-to player for catches, but also Hartline being a guy that like Donte Stallworth, plays an important and productive role.

I just thought this was a really interesting revelation. Marshall had talked about Bess a lot, how much he was impressed with him. He's talked unbidden about how when he got here he told Bess that he really appreciated his game because he likes how he's able to catch that short ball, make a guy miss and gain 10 yards or so, he's real physical after the catch and Brandon likes that. Some time later he talked about how hard Bess works and how hard he studies and how nobody outworks him. I initially mistook this as praise he was heaping on Bess because of the potential awkwardness of the number situation, and I thought the only reason he was even talking about Davone was because he keeps fielding questions about him due to the number thing. But now, you don't tell someone that you think they're going to the Pro Bowl this year just to be polite. He talked in this interview with Evan Cohen about his experience with Eddie Royal and how close they were and how it was their goal to get each of them 100 catches, that whenever he was on the sidelines he kept lobbying for them to throw the ball at Eddie so they could accomplish that goal. Eddie ended up with 91 catches so they didn't quite make it, but it was a revealing story in connection with his admission that he told Davone that he expects him in the Pro Bowl...because people tend to see the present through the lens of the past and to me it means he's already framing his relationship with Davone Bess like he thought of his relationship with Eddie Royal, and probably Mike Sims-Walker.

First and foremost I appreciate your input and sentiment. I do think Bess has a ceiling that he has yet full obtained. He is our slot guy and will benefit greatly from Marshall. As you pointed out his bout of dropsies last year can be overcomed. Before he went through that stretch he was catching just about everything thrown to him. IMHO he has good hands. And as someone else pointed out he has terrific form when going for the ball. Henne does not have to throw a perfect pass for him to catch the rock.

If after year 2 of Welker's career you would compare him to where Bess is right now I would say yes Bess has accomplished more. However, I will maintain that Welker has shown more elusiveness and acceleration and of course more of a proven commodity. Welker does not have Bess' straight speed and Bess may have the higher ceiling. But it is unproven and that takes nothing away from Bess.

Marshall's relationship with past WR team mates and him caring about the success of his fellow teammates is nothing but refreshing news. All of his past issues with Denver's FO and off field stuff had some of us concerned, including yours truly. So far he has been a model acquistion who obviously desperately needed a fresh start. I had my concerns but from the time he was acquired willing to give him a clean slate. Since he has been a Fin this off season he brings real hope as the real deal for a number one WR. Its about time major offseason moves end up making real impact (like Ricky did 2002). Too many times have we focused on that one missing link (see qb) only to see it blow up in our faces. Our luck is bound to turn in that department.

He was caught in a numbers game in San Diego. He lost out on the return role to Darren Sproles. This was his best way to make team. San diego had two very experienced receivers in McCardell and Parker. They also had Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd.
Kassim Osgood was one of the best special teams players in the league. Add that to Reche Caldwell thier 2nd round pick from a few years earlier looking like he was ready to step up. Once he lost out in the return duel his fate was sealed.

San Diego made a mistake, plain and simple. But Welker obviously didn't show enough to stop them from making a mistake.

First off, Darren Sproles and Vincent Jackson didn't get drafted until 2005....so take them out of your equation.

That leaves:

Keenan McCardell - was a pro bowler in 2003, obviously was going to be their #1, really a non-factor when it comes to Welker, who was competing for 4th/5th WR and returner

Eric Parker - very experienced? a 2 year vet with just over 500 career receiving yards.

Reche Caldwell - looked like he was ready to step up? 288 receiving yards in his first 2 years....finished with 310 in 2004. If they thought he was ready to step up....they were wrong again.

Tim Dwight - you neglected probably the biggest obstacle to Wes Welker sticking in SD.....he was subpar as a returner in 03...but he did bounce back and have a nice 2004 as a kick returner.

Kasim Osgood - was actually better as a WR his first couple of years than he has been since....and was a core special teamer. his roster spot was safe.

Malcom Floyd - Welker actually did beat out Floyd out of training camp.....Floyd went to the practice squad, Welker was active week 1.

Bottom line, had he shown enough, they would have been able to find room for him....they did for week 1. But don't act like he was in an impossible situation trying to crack that mediocre receiving corp.

Right now its not even a debate who is better. The only people that would even try that debate are dolphin fans. Over a 110 receptions three years in a row is something thats has never been done before.. The big problem for players like Welker is that since they are not combine type studs people overlook what they accomplish. In a season where he missed games and basically only played 13 games he had the second most receptions ever in the NFL and still people act like he is just a product of the system.

Welker is good....there is no doubt. But his numbers are a product of the system.

110 receptions 3 years in a row is something that has never been done before.....so does that make Wes Welker the best WR that has ever played the game?? No.

Do I think that there are a lot of guys who could do what Welker is doing if plugged into his spot? Sure. I think Bess could. Hell, the Pats had a 7th round rookie WR who played QB in college step in for Welker in week 2 and he had 8 rec for 98 yards.

If you asked Brandon Marshall who he thinks will win the #2 job, he would probably clam up and say I don't know. If you asked him how much you think that #2 will produce, he would clam up and say I don't know.

This was a roundabout way of him answering those two questions almost by accident, showing us where his mind is at. I think that's interesting. Feel free to roll your eyes at whatever you want but I think some of you are definitely missing the point.

San Diego made a mistake, plain and simple. But Welker obviously didn't show enough to stop them from making a mistake.

First off, Darren Sproles and Vincent Jackson didn't get drafted until 2005....so take them out of your equation.

That leaves:

Keenan McCardell - was a pro bowler in 2003, obviously was going to be their #1, really a non-factor when it comes to Welker, who was competing for 4th/5th WR and returner

Eric Parker - very experienced? a 2 year vet with just over 500 career receiving yards.

Reche Caldwell - looked like he was ready to step up? 288 receiving yards in his first 2 years....finished with 310 in 2004. If they thought he was ready to step up....they were wrong again.

Tim Dwight - you neglected probably the biggest obstacle to Wes Welker sticking in SD.....he was subpar as a returner in 03...but he did bounce back and have a nice 2004 as a kick returner.

Kasim Osgood - was actually better as a WR his first couple of years than he has been since....and was a core special teamer. his roster spot was safe.

Malcom Floyd - Welker actually did beat out Floyd out of training camp.....Floyd went to the practice squad, Welker was active week 1.

Bottom line, had he shown enough, they would have been able to find room for him....they did for week 1. But don't act like he was in an impossible situation trying to crack that mediocre receiving corp.

Also Tim Dwight was inactive week one, I think he was banged up. They looked at Welker as a return type and had alot of vets so I can see the reasonin for cutting him. Many times its about circumstances whether you make it. Once he went to Miami he had to work his way up to receiving playing time because Booker and Chambers were entrenched starters but we did need a return man. I dont believe like many on here that you could just plug Bess into Welker;s spot and get the same production if that were true then the other player's across from Moss and Marshall would have done it every year.

Back
Top Bottom