Brandt: Bumper crop of DT prospects | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandt: Bumper crop of DT prospects

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
To be a good defensive tackle, you need great quickness, (Tommie Harris of the Bears), functional football strength (Haloti Ngata of the Ravens, who had 37 bench presses at the 2006 combine), instincts (Vince Wilfork of the Patriots), the use of hands to shed blockers, and the athletic ability to be able to drop into coverage on zone blitzes.

Albert Haynesworth has everything you need to play the position. At Tennessee's Pro Day in 2002, when he was just 20, Haynesworth measured at 6-foot-6, 317 pounds, ran a 4.82 40-yard dash, had a 39-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot, 7-inch broad jump. Haynesworth recently became one of the highest-paid NFL players of all-time when he signed a $100 million deal with the Redskins.

To be effective, the defensive tackle needs to have great stamina and be able to rush the passer late in the game, especially in the warm weather early in the season. Many teams rotate their tackles to try to keep them as fresh as possible. At one time, defensive tackles were among the lowest paid players -- that has changed and they are now among the highest paid. When Houston took Amobi Okoye in 2007, he was the youngest player ever drafted (19-years-old) and another defensive tackle, Merlin Olsen of the Rams, is tied with Bruce Matthews for the most Pro Bowl selections (14).

I still think we need an ILB more. Parcells likes to take late round NTs and develop them over time, like Ferguson or Jay Ratliff. Someone like Spikes or McLain is much more likely.

Albert Haynesworth has everything you need to play the position. At Tennessee's Pro Day in 2002, when he was just 20, Haynesworth measured at 6-foot-6, 317 pounds, ran a 4.82 40-yard dash, had a 39-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot, 7-inch broad jump. Haynesworth recently became one of the highest-paid NFL players of all-time when he signed a $100 million deal with the Redskins.

And some people on this site continue to insist that an effective NT has to measure 6'2" or 6'3"

And some people on this site continue to insist that an effective NT has to measure 6'2" or 6'3"

You do realize Haynesworth has never manned the nose before right???

I still think we need an ILB more. Parcells likes to take late round NTs and develop them over time, like Ferguson or Jay Ratliff. Someone like Spikes or McLain is much more likely.

I wouldnt be surprised in the least to see us grab an ILB instead of a NT in the first.

The nice thing about a draft rich in a particular position is that you can still get 1st round quality talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Granted though, some of the NT prospects are absolute monsters and I'd be thrilled if we went either way.

The other nice thing is that alot of the new 3-4 teams grabbed their NTs in this past draft, so the demand for them may not be as high.

Check out these lists. This site has 7 DTs listed as possible franchise players, with another 8 as possible starting material

http://cfn.scout.com/2/856954.html

On the other hand, the same site doesnt seem to think as highly of the ILB candidates.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/856954.html

I could easily see us grab an ILB in the first (if Spikes or McClain are within reach) and grab a NT in the second round.

Fun stuff:)

Go watch video on youtube of Micah Johnson from Kentucky. He will more than do.

DT's and NT's are very different animals in the NFL. some can excel at both - like jenkins - but most are meant for one or the other. tommie harris, when healthy, is an excellent DT but would fall flat on his face as a NT. haloti ngata is a great NT but wouldn't be nearly as effective in a 4-3 scheme. as far as next year goes, i'm definitely on the terrence cody bandwagon - although i'd rather grab an ILB as well. spikes and mcclain will more than likely be gone by the time we pick but that won't stop me from hoping that either one of them will fall a la mauluga.

DT's and NT's are very different animals in the NFL. some can excel at both - like jenkins - but most are meant for one or the other. tommie harris, when healthy, is an excellent DT but would fall flat on his face as a NT. haloti ngata is a great NT but wouldn't be nearly as effective in a 4-3 scheme. as far as next year goes, i'm definitely on the terrence cody bandwagon - although i'd rather grab an ILB as well. spikes and mcclain will more than likely be gone by the time we pick but that won't stop me from hoping that either one of them will fall a la mauluga.

just wondering would u rather have taken Maluaga over White if he was available

You do realize Haynesworth has never manned the nose before right???

Yes I do. Bob Baumhower was a 6'5" NT and he was very strong in the lower body.
This alleged short stature requirement that so many on this site speak of is just plain silly.
Strength, leverage and quickness are more important. You don't need to be a short fat guy to play NT.

Back
Top Bottom