Brief Coach Candidate Comparisons | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brief Coach Candidate Comparisons

FinsFanLuke

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Trying not to endorse one head coach here but just kinda laying it out:

Jeff Fisher:
A defensive, run the ball type of coach who is a proven winner (sans a Super Bowl victory)
QB situation: With what is available, it almost makes sense to stick with more. No QBs available unless we trade up (unlikely) Wanna risk getting Matt Flynn and putting him a new system ala AJ Feeley? Hmm not so sure about that one.
Solution: Stick with Moore, use the draft to solidify other areas, keep an eye out for a developmental QB, and wait to jump on a franchise QB if available in future drafts.

Joe Philbin:
Packers product offensive minded coach without the experience. Biggest question mark is how much of the Packers offensive success can really be attributed to him with McCarthy calling the plays.
QB situation: Getting Matt Flynn with Philbin appears to make sense and since Flynn has excelled in that system prompts us to get Flynn and install that offense to give him the best chance possible to be successful. Use the draft to solidify other areas.
Solution: Get Flynn, install Packers style offense and hope he's "the guy". Use the draft for other areas of need and maybe grab a developmental QB (later rounds only).

Todd Bowles:
He already knows the players, and has had some success as the interim coach.
QB situation: No one worth getting in the draft for an immediate impact but drafting a developmental guy (Tannehill, QBfrom Arizona) and keeping Moore may be an option. Could get Flynn but there's the risk of him adjusting to a different offensive system.
Solution: Stick with Moore, use the draft to solidify other areas, keep an eye out for a developmental QB, and wait to jump on a franchise QB if available in future drafts.

Sure the plan for Bowles and Fisher seem the same but I'm very wary of puttin Flynn in a different system. He'll either have a learning curve period or not be successful at all. Just my opinion, which I know means jack, but just some thoughts

Back
Top Bottom