Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

2. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

It is a very good read and makes me very excited about the potential addition of Wallace. I just wish next Tuesday would get here already.

3. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

If we sign him, we will overpay. That's free agency.

Just gotta hope it's not a ridiculous overpayment.

4. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Better to overpay for really good players who are playmakers than to overpay for average ones. If you're gonna overpay, make it count

5. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere the Ireland has been in love with Wallace for sometime now (I'm talking for a few years now)... Pressure is on Ireland, all the fans want Wallace. It will take a ridiculous amount of money for another team to take Wallace from us, as it seems both sides (Wallace and Miami) seem to fancy each other.

6. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

It feels like I keep reading the same articles tirelessly over, and over, and over again....man I can't wait until free agency fires off so all the speculation comes to an end!

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Some things in that article are just astounding.

8. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

You mean like the implication that it was Ireland's conservative, steady stewardship that has just FINALLY brought the Dolphins out of the horrible salary cap mess that drove one coach to quit in 2006 and that Ireland then inherited... in 2008? Heh.

Jeff is just that good, man.

9. FrostyFinFan

FrostyFinFan Well-Known Member

My guess is that Wallace will be signed early in free agency and the same could be true with Jennings. I think the rest will drag out as it usually does. Everyone wanting to get a deal with the free agents available. Miami will be no different. The best deals are swooping in and getting someone after they find out they aren't going to get what they wanted. The seems to take a week or more, sometimes multiple weeks. I fear we'll have to be patient in free agency, although, I think Wallace will be gone quickly. Hopefully to us without an outrageous salary cap number.

10. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

Nice read. I think Ireland is feeling how precarious of a position he's in: going into a second year without giving a young QB anyone to stretch the field is trouble for Tanny's development. It's hard for that young a QB to really succeed without a go-to guy (see: Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon who worked wonders for Luck and RG3).

That said, I'm not a fan of Wallace due to his recent play; production fell off midway through 2011 and was disappointing in the more possession passing game last year. He's not a chain-mover, not a guy you can consistently count on on, say, 3rd-and-7.

I'm curious: what's everyone's absolute limit on what to pay him? Would you go up to, say, 12.5, 13, 13.5?

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it's about time ireland grew a pair...

but at the same time signing hartline to a almost $7 mil per year contract reeks of playing it safe...

if he screws up this offseason no excuses...hit the road jack

12. jd13

jd13 Starter

I think Wallace is the 1 guy that Ireland will overpay for because of his speed and age.

13. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

Brilliant article? I like Darlington but how is it he knows so much about Ireland's plans for next week? Wallace's agent must be doing back flips after seeing this on the web. This article just gave Wallace another couple million. Oh we're going to over pay and we're going to overpay like a champ. Hopefully it won't hamstring us when Wallace's speed disappears due to age. We better have a way out of this contract after 3 or so years.

And after this article Ireland BETTER end up with Wallace. If he doesn't then there aren't enough eggs on the planet to throw at Jeff's face.

14. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Ireland miscalculated the situation last year? Perish the thought! As we all know, only Bill Parcells miscalculates stuff, so it wasnt Irelands fault.

Either way, we got weapons for Tannehill last year. Legedu Naanee. That wasnt enough?

edit: I have no idea why people are responding to this article in a positive light. All it did was making me roll me eyes. Sure, Ireland "thinks" he has the market pegged, but only because of a damn rule change.
    Seriously people? Other teams have no trouble whatsoever figuring out what to pay a player. We have to rely on the league changing it up to make things easier? This is so indicative of our franchise: a year behind everyone else. Its unbelievable people are applauding our front office. I vote we hire someone who doesnt have to rely on the league office to do half the work for him.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  15. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

with the three day period between the 9th and the 12th expect good players to sign early because they have three days to talk to several teams and to get offers and teams have the chance to outbit

im thinking Wallace is going for 14 m a year.....SMH

16. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

In this way Hartline and Bess complement him very well. We moved the chians ok with our current WR core. What we lack is both a consistent deep threat, and a WR that will make plays in the endzone. That's Wallace's cup of tea.

17. PhinSoldia

still need a big body WR, with decent hands,

18. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Sorry, Wallace, Hartline, and Bess is not enough.

As someone said in another thread, all defenses will have to do is double Wallace....and there are no other threats. I hope if we land Wallace, we still pick up a young, fast, RAC hungry WR in rounds 1 - 3 (and a pass catching TE in free agency).

I do expect Matthews to get more run, which I like...but just the above three guys is not enough.

Are we just trying to go 10-6 or are we trying to make some serious noise? Let's make some noise and get multiple play-makers on this team.

19. uk_dolfan

Im not sure we are in a position to complain about "just" going 10-6!

20. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Like not getting Kyle Orton?

21. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

This is a team and we need players to play roles. We have Chain Movers in Hartline and Bess what we don't have is TD makers which Wallace is 10, 8 and 8 the past 3 years. I'd pay him whatever it takes, last few millions would be incentive based, score 10 TD get an extra 3 million, score 8 TD get and extra 2 etc..

22. theedge55

theedge55 Rookie

Anybody else still feel like with a young quarterback it's best to be bringing along a young receiver to complement him as well. I mean we're talking about Tannerhill being our QB down the line. So are we forever bringing in vets to complement him? Where's our practice squad with young reciever talent waiting for their turn?

23. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

I gotta agree with some of the earlier posters. Wallace is going to get overpaid...no doubt about it. But I would rather overpay for a guy like Wallace who can change the dynamic of an offense that pay 5 mil per to a bunch of average joes like Richard Marshall. Give me two or 3 impact players rather than 5-6 mediocre players.

24. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

I believe this, but the players complimenting him need to be good, not the marlon moore's and roberto wallace's of the world. Mike Wallace is 26 years old and is proven. I think he qualifies as a young compliment.

25. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

You are right, his production did fall off midway through the 2011 season. Like Mike Tomlin said, once the tape got out on Wallace, teams started to play him differently and good teams have other players step up.
    As for Wallace disappointing in the more possession passing game last year, all the Steelers wide receivers disappointed in that system and Wallace was the only receiver to go over 100 yards in any game. Which he did twice.

26. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

To me it makes sense to sign Hartline if your going after Wallace. With Jennings people putting out that 12mil asking price, IMO, it locked up Hartline back to MIA. It said to me, if the market/player is going to be that high for Jennings, might as well pay for the super threat and pay your own FA. I think when its all said and done. MIA will have damn near 20mil locked up between 2 WRs.

And I am not a Ireland person. I just understood that once he drafted Tannehill he wasn't going anywhere, like the echo chamber here thought. He knows as well as we do, that his tenure in MIA rides on what he brings into MIA this year.

27. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Yet, he pegged the market on the likes of Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn and Kyle Orton. Other teams figured out how much to pay those players.

Like Jeff, you have holes in your own theories.

28. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

He tried to pay Orton $9 million a year, our owner shut that down.
    He offered a hefty contract to Flynn, who is apparently so horrible that only 1 other team wanted him.

He did refuse to give a second round pick for Kolb. So, because of that, should we go ahead and build a statue for Ireland? I mean, he did use that second round pick productively, Daniel Thomas is certainly tearing up the league.

29. PhinSoldia

they were supposed to be Roberto Wallace and Marlon Moore, we will probably pick up at least 3 with the draft and udfa process

30. PhinSoldia

can we please get the link to him paying orton 9 M? and also to us wanting to pay flynn a hefty sum, what was that figure? and why did he sign with Seattle for 5.5 M if we were giving him a ....in your words....hefty sum

31. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

You mean Seattle offered him a hefty contract because he didn't sign here because he was offered backup pay - which is what he is worth.

32. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7031691&wjb

Flynn signed a $26 million($10 million guaranteed), 3 year deal with Seattle. Instead of the $8 million or so Seattle offered him, at the time it was reported we offered something around $6.5 million per season. We "low-balled" him because we felt he wanted to play for Philbin more than he wanted an immediate high contract. And yes, i consider $6 million to be a hefty contract. Heres a link about the story, albeit with no final contract number. And im absolutely not digging through a year of Jason Cole tweets looking for the number. Take my $6 million for a grain of salt if you want.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/report-dolphins-make-low-ball-offer-to-matt-flynn/

Either way, if this player was just so darned god awful, so bad he was benched, so not worth the contract he was given...why did Miami bring him in and try and sign him at all?

33. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Good read.

34. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

"I mean", why offer a contract to a bad player at all? Much less a contract comparable, albeit thats slightly less, than the 3 year, $26 million Seattle offered him.

35. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

You're right about Orton - and thank heavens Ross stepped in; that was when I realized he was turning the corner as an owner. I still maintain that after the Harbaugh fiasco resulting in the Meatball being given more personnel say, it was probably Sparano fearful of losing his job (as it was obvious Ireland was safe at that point) who was the one lobbying hard for the player in Denver they called "3 and out Orton".

However, if Philbin wanted Flynn for more than a stopgap, he wouldn't have offered him backup money. It's likely that as payback for Flynn being a good soldier for Philbin in GB, they went through the motions of extending him an offer so Seattle wouldn't think they were the only one who wanted him. I wouldn't doubt that for the same reason, they candidly told Flynn that they were drafting Tannehill with an eye toward the future.

I don't give Ireland too much credit for passing on Kolb for a 2nd rounder.. even Rick Spielman wouldn't have bit on that one.

36. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

When the Dolphins brought Flynn in he had just come off an 6 touchdown performance in the last game of the regular season and was not view as god awful by anyone.

The Dolphins brought him in because he was familiar with Philbin's offense from their days in Green Bay.

37. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...back-matt-flynn-west-coast-offense-chad-henne

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/joe-philbin-ask-matt-flynn-why-hes-in-seattle/

Anyways, i'll agree that we should be extremely thankful that Ross stepped in on Orton and that Ireland shouldnt get credit for not trading for Kolb.

But if Ireland was influenced by Sparano to trade for Orton, then thats still on Ireland. Tony Sparano is a coach, not a scout. Its Irelands job to shut down horrible trades. Thankfully for us, Ross did his job for him.

38. BringBackDan13

BringBackDan13 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for all the articles to get out of the way and for free agency to start. Hopefully this is the year that we make a big splash.

39. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

People cant have it both ways. Ireland cant deserve for passing on him and also deserve credit for trying to sign him.

This forum swings to the extremes. People love to boast and crow about anything we do. Its why a select number of poster expect 7th round draft picks to become studs. Its why threads were started about how we STOLE from the Colts in the Vontae trade. Its not enough that we get a good player or deal, its that we have to humiliate everyone else. We have to prove to be smarter and better and etc, etc, etc. I get it, its human nature. I just find it amusingly shortsighted when it comes to our history.

If people want to say Ireland deserves credit for bringing in as much "talent" at the quarterback positions as possible, then fair enough. Id even agree with that, as i felt we should double or triple up on the position(still do). But you cant also talk about how brilliant Ireland was(or how he completely pegged the market on Flynn, or any other game of semantics people are playing) for passing on some player who "was awful". We tried to sign him. We tried hard to sign him and revisionist history wont change that.

40. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Why can't people have it both ways? At the time Flynn was brought in, Matt Moore was the only veteran QB on the roster and team wanted to atleast bring in some competition for him and Flynn was thought to be the most logical choice since he was familiar with the offense being installed.

There is no revisionist history going on. Once again, Flynn was not viewed by anyone as god awful when Ireland tried to sign him. The fact that Flynn was beat out for the starting job in Seattle by Wilson does not make him god awful or anything else.

Yes Flynn was brought in. Yes Flynn was offered a contract the Ireland felt he was worth and Flynn decided to go elsewhere. If Ireland doesn't get credit for sticking to his guns, then who does?

41. MIDolphins#1

MIDolphins#1 Rookie

42. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

What baggage does Wallace have?

43. uk_dolfan

If hes as good as Marshall he will be an amazing pickup, we didn't get rid of Marshall because of his production.

44. thedayafter

thedayafter Pro Bowler

Wallace is veiwed more as a major component... not an accessory like Reggie.... it's a good spend based on history... are they (RT/MW) going to explode out of the box next season... odds are... probably not.

It's a step in the process... hope we take it.

45. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

Surely not brilliant.

46. uk_dolfan

Darlington is currently on the radio show on dolphins.com talking about Wallace, it seems the Dolphins are all in on Wallace and have been for some time.

47. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Well, okay, i suppose people can have it both ways. That Ireland is a genius because he passed on Flynn and hes a genius because he tried to sign Flynn. And no doubt Flynn was viewed as a stud when Miami was trying to sign him. And unsurprisingly, those same people viewed Flynn as hot garbage when he refused to sign with us. After all, Flynn was only brought up in this thread after someone pegged him into the "bad quarterback" catagory and suggested Ireland did a good job by not signing him.

But as long as posters are so blatantly backwards and hilarious, i'll keep pointing it out. We all must stay amused.

Personally, i liked Flynn. I still like Flynn. I thought we should have signed him and still do. Even had we signed him, i still would have advocated drafting a quarterback in the first round. Im for drafting another quarterback this year(in a late round). Then again, my opinion doesnt do a complete 180 based on what our general manager does.

48. Dolphinokie

Dolphinokie Active Member

WallIace would be a great deep threat but at WHAT price is he worth having??? I DONT want another Brandon marshall type BUST

49. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Marshall as a player was never a bust here, us signing a guy who was always trouble and expecting less is the bust, horrible decision by Ireland on all accounts

50. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

man I miss darlington being our beat writer.