Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland

It is a very good read and makes me very excited about the potential addition of Wallace. I just wish next Tuesday would get here already.

If we sign him, we will overpay. That's free agency.

Just gotta hope it's not a ridiculous overpayment.

Better to overpay for really good players who are playmakers than to overpay for average ones. If you're gonna overpay, make it count

I remember reading somewhere the Ireland has been in love with Wallace for sometime now (I'm talking for a few years now)... Pressure is on Ireland, all the fans want Wallace. It will take a ridiculous amount of money for another team to take Wallace from us, as it seems both sides (Wallace and Miami) seem to fancy each other.

It feels like I keep reading the same articles tirelessly over, and over, and over again....man I can't wait until free agency fires off so all the speculation comes to an end!

Some things in that article are just astounding.

You mean like the implication that it was Ireland's conservative, steady stewardship that has just FINALLY brought the Dolphins out of the horrible salary cap mess that drove one coach to quit in 2006 and that Ireland then inherited... in 2008? Heh.

Jeff is just that good, man.

My guess is that Wallace will be signed early in free agency and the same could be true with Jennings. I think the rest will drag out as it usually does. Everyone wanting to get a deal with the free agents available. Miami will be no different. The best deals are swooping in and getting someone after they find out they aren't going to get what they wanted. The seems to take a week or more, sometimes multiple weeks. I fear we'll have to be patient in free agency, although, I think Wallace will be gone quickly. Hopefully to us without an outrageous salary cap number.

Nice read. I think Ireland is feeling how precarious of a position he's in: going into a second year without giving a young QB anyone to stretch the field is trouble for Tanny's development. It's hard for that young a QB to really succeed without a go-to guy (see: Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon who worked wonders for Luck and RG3).

That said, I'm not a fan of Wallace due to his recent play; production fell off midway through 2011 and was disappointing in the more possession passing game last year. He's not a chain-mover, not a guy you can consistently count on on, say, 3rd-and-7.

I'm curious: what's everyone's absolute limit on what to pay him? Would you go up to, say, 12.5, 13, 13.5?

it's about time ireland grew a pair...

but at the same time signing hartline to a almost $7 mil per year contract reeks of playing it safe...

if he screws up this offseason no excuses...hit the road jack

I think Wallace is the 1 guy that Ireland will overpay for because of his speed and age.

Brilliant article? I like Darlington but how is it he knows so much about Ireland's plans for next week? Wallace's agent must be doing back flips after seeing this on the web. This article just gave Wallace another couple million. Oh we're going to over pay and we're going to overpay like a champ. Hopefully it won't hamstring us when Wallace's speed disappears due to age. We better have a way out of this contract after 3 or so years.

And after this article Ireland BETTER end up with Wallace. If he doesn't then there aren't enough eggs on the planet to throw at Jeff's face.

Ireland miscalculated the situation last year? Perish the thought! As we all know, only Bill Parcells miscalculates stuff, so it wasnt Irelands fault.

Either way, we got weapons for Tannehill last year. Legedu Naanee. That wasnt enough?

edit: I have no idea why people are responding to this article in a positive light. All it did was making me roll me eyes. Sure, Ireland "thinks" he has the market pegged, but only because of a damn rule change.
Unlike last year, Ireland will have a new rule working in his favor. Because teams get three days this year to negotiate contracts before free agency begins March 12, the Dolphins believe they won't risk undervaluing the market as they did in 2012. They'll have more time to pinpoint the marketplace, according to team sources, which will allow them to be more proactive than reactive, especially as it pertains to coveted players like Wallace.

Seriously people? Other teams have no trouble whatsoever figuring out what to pay a player. We have to rely on the league changing it up to make things easier? This is so indicative of our franchise: a year behind everyone else. Its unbelievable people are applauding our front office. I vote we hire someone who doesnt have to rely on the league office to do half the work for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
with the three day period between the 9th and the 12th expect good players to sign early because they have three days to talk to several teams and to get offers and teams have the chance to outbit

im thinking Wallace is going for 14 m a year.....SMH

Back
Top Bottom