Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland

Nice read. I think Ireland is feeling how precarious of a position he's in: going into a second year without giving a young QB anyone to stretch the field is trouble for Tanny's development. It's hard for that young a QB to really succeed without a go-to guy (see: Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon who worked wonders for Luck and RG3).

That said, I'm not a fan of Wallace due to his recent play; production fell off midway through 2011 and was disappointing in the more possession passing game last year. He's not a chain-mover, not a guy you can consistently count on on, say, 3rd-and-7.

I'm curious: what's everyone's absolute limit on what to pay him? Would you go up to, say, 12.5, 13, 13.5?

In this way Hartline and Bess complement him very well. We moved the chians ok with our current WR core. What we lack is both a consistent deep threat, and a WR that will make plays in the endzone. That's Wallace's cup of tea.

In this way Hartline and Bess complement him very well. We moved the chians ok with our current WR core. What we lack is both a consistent deep threat, and a WR that will make plays in the endzone. That's Wallace's cup of tea.

still need a big body WR, with decent hands,

Sorry, Wallace, Hartline, and Bess is not enough.

As someone said in another thread, all defenses will have to do is double Wallace....and there are no other threats. I hope if we land Wallace, we still pick up a young, fast, RAC hungry WR in rounds 1 - 3 (and a pass catching TE in free agency).

I do expect Matthews to get more run, which I like...but just the above three guys is not enough.

Are we just trying to go 10-6 or are we trying to make some serious noise? Let's make some noise and get multiple play-makers on this team.

Sorry, Wallace, Hartline, and Bess is not enough.

As someone said in another thread, all defenses will have to do is double Wallace....and there are no other threats. I hope if we land Wallace, we still pick up a young, fast, RAC hungry WR in rounds 1 - 3 (and a pass catching TE in free agency).

I do expect Matthews to get more run, which I like...but just the above three guys is not enough.

Are just trying to go 10-6 or are we trying to make some serious noise? Let's make some noise and get multiple play-makers on this team.

Im not sure we are in a position to complain about "just" going 10-6!

You mean like the implication that it was Ireland's conservative, steady stewardship that has just FINALLY brought the Dolphins out of the horrible salary cap mess that drove one coach to quit in 2006 and that Ireland then inherited... in 2008? Heh.

Jeff is just that good, man.

Like not getting Kyle Orton?

Nice read. I think Ireland is feeling how precarious of a position he's in: going into a second year without giving a young QB anyone to stretch the field is trouble for Tanny's development. It's hard for that young a QB to really succeed without a go-to guy (see: Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon who worked wonders for Luck and RG3).

That said, I'm not a fan of Wallace due to his recent play; production fell off midway through 2011 and was disappointing in the more possession passing game last year. He's not a chain-mover, not a guy you can consistently count on on, say, 3rd-and-7.

I'm curious: what's everyone's absolute limit on what to pay him? Would you go up to, say, 12.5, 13, 13.5?

This is a team and we need players to play roles. We have Chain Movers in Hartline and Bess what we don't have is TD makers which Wallace is 10, 8 and 8 the past 3 years. I'd pay him whatever it takes, last few millions would be incentive based, score 10 TD get an extra 3 million, score 8 TD get and extra 2 etc..

Anybody else still feel like with a young quarterback it's best to be bringing along a young receiver to complement him as well. I mean we're talking about Tannerhill being our QB down the line. So are we forever bringing in vets to complement him? Where's our practice squad with young reciever talent waiting for their turn?

I gotta agree with some of the earlier posters. Wallace is going to get overpaid...no doubt about it. But I would rather overpay for a guy like Wallace who can change the dynamic of an offense that pay 5 mil per to a bunch of average joes like Richard Marshall. Give me two or 3 impact players rather than 5-6 mediocre players.

Anybody else still feel like with a young quarterback it's best to be bringing along a young receiver to complement him as well. I mean we're talking about Tannerhill being our QB down the line. So are we forever bringing in vets to complement him? Where's our practice squad with young reciever talent waiting for their turn?

I believe this, but the players complimenting him need to be good, not the marlon moore's and roberto wallace's of the world. Mike Wallace is 26 years old and is proven. I think he qualifies as a young compliment.

You are right, his production did fall off midway through the 2011 season. Like Mike Tomlin said, once the tape got out on Wallace, teams started to play him differently and good teams have other players step up.
As for Wallace disappointing in the more possession passing game last year, all the Steelers wide receivers disappointed in that system and Wallace was the only receiver to go over 100 yards in any game. Which he did twice.

it's about time ireland grew a pair...

but at the same time signing hartline to a almost $7 mil per year contract reeks of playing it safe...

if he screws up this offseason no excuses...hit the road jack

To me it makes sense to sign Hartline if your going after Wallace. With Jennings people putting out that 12mil asking price, IMO, it locked up Hartline back to MIA. It said to me, if the market/player is going to be that high for Jennings, might as well pay for the super threat and pay your own FA. I think when its all said and done. MIA will have damn near 20mil locked up between 2 WRs.

And I am not a Ireland person. I just understood that once he drafted Tannehill he wasn't going anywhere, like the echo chamber here thought. He knows as well as we do, that his tenure in MIA rides on what he brings into MIA this year.

Ireland miscalculated the situation last year? Perish the thought! As we all know, only Bill Parcells miscalculates stuff, so it wasnt Irelands fault.

Either way, we got weapons for Tannehill last year. Legedu Naanee. That wasnt enough?

edit: I have no idea why people are responding to this article in a positive light. All it did was making me roll me eyes. Sure, Ireland "thinks" he has the market pegged, but only because of a damn rule change.

Seriously people? Other teams have no trouble whatsoever figuring out what to pay a player. We have to rely on the league changing it up to make things easier? This is so indicative of our franchise: a year behind everyone else. Its unbelievable people are applauding our front office. I vote we hire someone who doesnt have to rely on the league office to do half the work for him.

Yet, he pegged the market on the likes of Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn and Kyle Orton. Other teams figured out how much to pay those players.

Like Jeff, you have holes in your own theories.

Yet, he pegged the market on the likes of Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn and Kyle Orton. Other teams figured out how much to pay those players.

Like Jeff, you have holes in your own theories.

He tried to pay Orton $9 million a year, our owner shut that down.
He offered a hefty contract to Flynn, who is apparently so horrible that only 1 other team wanted him.

He did refuse to give a second round pick for Kolb. So, because of that, should we go ahead and build a statue for Ireland? I mean, he did use that second round pick productively, Daniel Thomas is certainly tearing up the league.

they were supposed to be Roberto Wallace and Marlon Moore, we will probably pick up at least 3 with the draft and udfa process

He tried to pay Orton $9 million a year, our owner shut that down.
He offered a hefty contract to Flynn, who is apparently so horrible that only 1 other team wanted him.

He did refuse to give a second round pick for Kolb. So, because of that, should we go ahead and build a statue for Ireland? I mean, he did use that second round pick productively, Daniel Thomas is certainly tearing up the league.

can we please get the link to him paying orton 9 M? and also to us wanting to pay flynn a hefty sum, what was that figure? and why did he sign with Seattle for 5.5 M if we were giving him a ....in your words....hefty sum

Back
Top Bottom