Bring back the 4-3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring back the 4-3

Dolfan4life

Starter
Reaction score
Who are we kidding. This team is better suited for the 4-3. This 3-4/ 4-3 hybrid 'Oh my God where is the blitz coming from' is ridiculous.

Our blitz rarely gets there.

What I am saying is that the D-line is our deepest position. We need to utilize that and take advantage of that.

Imaging having Traylor and Wilkinson at the DTs and Carter and Taylor at the DEs. That = no running game for the other team. This also allows Jason to do what he does best. This also allows Zach to roam around and make all sorts of plays as no lineman will be eating him up.

Roth, Holliday, and Vickerson or Evans can be used to spell guys at times.

This team's personnel fits the 4-3 better.

We are deeped at D-line than we are at LB.

What you said makes perfect sense. We do not have Pittsburgh's personnel.

The 4-3 that Jim Bates ran was highly effective. Why we went away from it is beyond me, especially considering the significant dropoff in last year's defense.

I have to blame some of this on defensive play calling too... Why the hell is every blitz we call coming from the outside? It doesn't seem like we're mixing it up enough. Get some pressure right up the middle!

This defense is supposed to get everyone involved in the tackling and stuff but when you have playmakers like Zach you have to utilize the strengths of your players!

Dolfan4life said:
Who are we kidding. This team is better suited for the 4-3. This 3-4/ 4-3 hybrid 'Oh my God where is the blitz coming from' is ridiculous.

The funny thing is, most of the time that the Bills were running on us was when we were playing Dave Wannstedt style 4-3.

Dolfan4life said:
Our blitz rarely gets there.

That's not exactly rare for blitzes. It's worth noting that Miami had 5 sacks, which puts them on pace for 40, which is pretty good. This is despite playing against two run-heavy teams.

Dolfan4life said:
What I am saying is that the D-line is our deepest position. We need to utilize that and take advantage of that.

Uh, our D-line depth doesnt get utilized better in a 4-3. Virtually every formation has 3 rotating D-linemen plus Jason Taylor on the field. Your proposal changes that in no way, shape, or form.

Dolfan4life said:
Imaging having Traylor and Wilkinson at the DTs and Carter and Taylor at the DEs. That = no running game for the other team. This also allows Jason to do what he does best. This also allows Zach to roam around and make all sorts of plays as no lineman will be eating him up.

Traylor and Wilkinson are not going to be able to play starting. Both of them are huge and ancient, to the point where they cant be expected to play many more snaps then them rotating.

Jason Taylor does now what he does best. He's rarely not rushing the passer, and when he is not, it's effective. For example, that Yeremiah Bell sack, Jason Taylor dropped back into coverage resulting in his assigned blockers hesitating.

Zach Thomas has plenty of ability to go sideline to sideline right now. He's in fact protected better then he was in the old 4-3. He's still go two 2-gap linemen infront of him, but now he has a strongside OLB on the line dealing with the tight end.

flintsilver7 said:
The 4-3 that Jim Bates ran was highly effective. Why we went away from it is beyond me, especially considering the significant dropoff in last year's defense.

Uh, where is the dropoff from last season? It seems about the same to me as it was last year. And it was an improvement over 2004, the last time when Miami used the straight 4-3.

HULKFish said:
I have to blame some of this on defensive play calling too... Why the hell is every blitz we call coming from the outside? It doesn't seem like we're mixing it up enough. Get some pressure right up the middle!

This defense is supposed to get everyone involved in the tackling and stuff but when you have playmakers like Zach you have to utilize the strengths of your players!

we do blitz up the middle. problem is we cant get to the QB up the middle as none of our LBs are good blitzers.

the scheme is fine. it is just complicated and you need guys
who have experiance with it. expecially in the secondary!

nick gutted the secondary and unfortunately, the replacements
are NOT upgrades and the ones he brought in except one guy
dont know the scheme.

that was suicide for this defense!!

to mant changes and no upgrades, thats the problem.

and, the defense knows we have another fielder situation
now and just dont have it in them to carry the team for
another year. there tired!! and they know its going nowhere.

you cant blame them. what a let down after all the hope an
hype!!

Back
Top Bottom