Brother CMD dropped a great analysis of what coach Weaver might bring to our D in Club | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brother CMD dropped a great analysis of what coach Weaver might bring to our D in Club

Thank you for the info.

My only question is, why Brian Ferentz? He was so bad as Iowa's OC the admin forced his Dad to get rid of him this offseason.

I don’t think they necessarily have to be a HOF coach in order to learn from them. Some of the best information I’ve learned about football over the years have come from coaching clinics from high school coaches that’ll probably never coach at a higher level. I used pieces of that video because I liked the 3 overarching points he was making:

• The offense can control 2 things on the football field, TIME and SPACE. You control where your guys will be and when they’ll be there. The better you control these 2 things on the field, the better the results will be. “I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.” - Al Pacino, Any Given Sunday
  • Outside zone is neither a pure vertical play or a pure horizontal play, it sits in between the two distinctions, but knowing when to get vertical is what makes a great outside zone runner, that’s why you hear the term “one cut RB” used so much for outsize zone runners.
  • This is still a physical play, if you don’t like getting physical and beating guys up on the line, this play probably isn’t for you. It’s a “**** you” play, doesn’t matter what you try to do, you know we’re running it and we’re getting 4 on your ass anyway. You do not let defenses dictate what you want to do offensively. This is something Coach McDaniel could learn after the last Bills game, talking about the reason he stopped running in the 2nd half being the Bills were bringing an extra man down into the box. Don’t let the defense dictate that, that’s something Kyle Shanahan has said multiple times, he never wants the defense to tell him when he can or can’t run his bread and butter run.

I don’t think they necessarily have to be a HOF coach in order to learn from them. Some of the best information I’ve learned about football over the years have come from coaching clinics from high school coaches that’ll probably never coach at a higher level. I used pieces of that video because I liked the 3 overarching points he was making:

• The offense can control 2 things on the football field, TIME and SPACE. You control where your guys will be and when they’ll be there. The better you control these 2 things on the field, the better the results will be. “I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.” - Al Pacino, Any Given Sunday
  • Outside zone is neither a pure vertical play or a pure horizontal play, it sits in between the two distinctions, but knowing when to get vertical is what makes a great outside zone runner, that’s why you hear the term “one cut RB” used so much for outsize zone runners.
  • This is still a physical play, if you don’t like getting physical and beating guys up on the line, this play probably isn’t for you. It’s a “**** you” play, doesn’t matter what you try to do, you know we’re running it and we’re getting 4 on your ass anyway. You do not let defenses dictate what you want to do offensively. This is something Coach McDaniel could learn after the last Bills game, talking about the reason he stopped running in the 2nd half being the Bills were bringing an extra man down into the box. Don’t let the defense dictate that, that’s something Kyle Shanahan has said multiple times, he never wants the defense to tell him when he can or can’t run his bread and butter run.
Point one is theoretical. Unimpeded yes the offense can control where and when.

Point one is theoretical. Unimpeded yes the offense can control where and when.

Well yes, that goes for every play in football.

The point of it is that the defense is always going to have the pure numbers advantage in the run game, no matter what it’s 9 blockers for 11 defenders. What the offense is able to do to offset that is knowing the snap count, knowing where the run is designed to hit and knowing how fast the run will hit. Another way the offense can control space is using motions to make 2nd level climbs for linemen easier, maybe the guard is having a hard time reaching the DT, you can have the center down block the DT and have the guard fold around him and climb to the 2nd level instead. There are a lot of ways to manipulate that space.

But yes, at the end of the day football is your guys on the field vs their guys on the field, and that’s gonna matter more than any scheme or adjustments you can make. I think every coach would agree on that.

I hope he brings mcdonalds scheme and is able to teach and communicate it the same way. It is what would have most concerned me if staley got the job. He had all these ideas but players were confused across the board.

“…and THAT is why Mike Gesicki was a bad fit for McDaniel’s scheme.”

He apparently fit better than all the tall receivers this year combined. More TDs than all the '23 'tall' receivers and more productive than Smythe. Many TDs along the back of the EZ - a route I don't remember any tall receivers running in '23.
Don't get me wrong, MG was a poor blocker and I wasn't a fan. But, apparently, none of the tall receivers in '23 fit his scheme

He apparently fit better than all the tall receivers this year combined. More TDs than all the '23 'tall' receivers and more productive than Smythe. Many TDs along the back of the EZ - a route I don't remember any tall receivers running in '23.
Don't get me wrong, MG was a poor blocker and I wasn't a fan. But, apparently, none of the tall receivers in '23 fit his scheme

That’s exactly it.

From last year:

“In short, Miami really couldn't use Gesicki as the only TE without giving away which way they were leaning as far as run/pass. If Gesicki was lined up as a blocker, it didn't matter, because opponents didn't really have to worry all that much about him as an extra "hat on hat" to spring run plays. So if Miami wanted to keep defenses honest, they had to run a 2TE set. Who did that affect? Cedrick Wilson.

I said from the second they picked up Geicki's option that he and Wilson weren't going to be able to co-exist; I said from the jump that Smythe was a better fit. He (or whomever they draft) doesn't have to be a superstar blocker. They just have to be able to block adequately and be a half-decent receiver.”

If we are running anything similar to the Ravens, we certainly are going to need some upgrades at LB!!

Back
Top Bottom