Brunell will not be a Buc! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brunell will not be a Buc!

phinphanbill

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Gruden on the possibility of signing Brunell...

The St. Petersburg Times reports QB Brad Johnson will be the Bucs starting quarterback in 2004, HC Jon Gruden said Tuesday. And Gruden wants you to know that comes from a high-ranking team official. Angered over a series of media reports quoting anonymous team officials that the Bucs are considering replacing Johnson with Jacksonville Jaguars QB Mark Brunell or Oakland Raiders QB Rich Gannon, Gruden said the information was false and characterized it as "fantasy football." "There's no truth to these reports. None," Gruden said by telephone from the Senior Bowl workouts in Mobile, Ala., "Brad Johnson is our starting quarterback, and we'll back that up in a few months. We're also very excited about the future of our young quarterback, Chris Simms. And we like some of the things Shaun King did for us last year. Mark Brunell and Rich Gannon are under contract with other teams. They're not even available. Let's not play fantasy football. We've got the worst cap situation in the NFC. How the hell are we going to afford Mark Brunell if he's out there?"

Well, this huge news for Brunell proponents (and after securely riding the fence for some time, I think I am now one of them). Brunell's stated preference has been to stay in Florida. Well, one Florida team's cutting him, and one doesn't want him. It seems to add up.

Big wow....like we're getting something great if he comes here..

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Big wow....like we're getting something great if he comes here..

Here, here. He's a broken down QB who, like Fiedler, hasn't had a healthy season at any point in recent memory. The guy is basically being held together by duct tape and Elmer's glue!

Originally posted by Cranx

Here, here. He's a broken down QB who, like Fiedler, hasn't had a healthy season at any point in recent memory. The guy is basically being held together by duct tape and Elmer's glue!

Not entirely accurate. In the four years prior to last season (in which he was benched in faovr of Byron Leftwich), Brunell started 15, 16, 15 and 15 games respectively -- a far healthier track record than Fiedler.

sounds like his agent made this Bucs want Bru thing up...

Originally posted by phinphanbill
Mark Brunell and Rich Gannon are under contract with other teams. They're not even available. Let's not play fantasy football. We've got the worst cap situation in the NFC. How the hell are we going to afford Mark Brunell if he's out there?"

He kinda tip toed around there at the end. I think there's still a possibility. Those players are under contract still so he can't say anything publicly about pursuing them IF they were released.

the thing about bru is that he still wants big money despite his best ball being behind him. so, of course his agent is gonna make up rumors that such in such is interested.

You think he still wants big money or have you seen it reported somewhere?

I don't think he wants big money but he'll want starters money of about $4M per year when you average it out.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

Not entirely accurate. In the four years prior to last season (in which he was benched in faovr of Byron Leftwich), Brunell started 15, 16, 15 and 15 games respectively -- a far healthier track record than Fiedler.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the guy missed a lot more games than that. Perhaps it was just that he was injured quite a bit, played through the injuries, and was somewhat ineffective in several of them. I believe that he is a decent QB but I'm not sure he is thee answer at QB for the 'Fins; we shall soon see however shant we?

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the guy missed a lot more games than that. Perhaps it was just that he was injured quite a bit, played through the injuries, and was somewhat ineffective in several of them. I believe that he is a decent QB but I'm not sure he is thee answer at QB for the 'Fins; we shall soon see however shant we?

He's not the answer, but if we upgrade our OL, he'll do as good a job as Jay would have behind a good OL..Problem is he's on the down side, he will give a team some spark, but we need a long term solution, if Jay's not the answer, even if Jay's the answer, we still need to groom a long term solution. I think it's Sage, but I can be wrong, so if not him, then I think this River's kid may be a good investment.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

He's not the answer, but if we upgrade our OL, he'll do as good a job as Jay would have behind a good OL..Problem is he's on the down side, he will give a team some spark, but we need a long term solution, if Jay's not the answer, even if Jay's the answer, we still need to groom a long term solution. I think it's Sage, but I can be wrong, so if not him, then I think this River's kid may be a good investment.

I agree, it's been far too long since this team has made an investment in its future at the most important position on the field. While both Jimmy and Wanny have tried to bring in other team's leftovers (Drunkenmiller, McKnown, Griese, etc.) as guys who they thought might take the next step with some new surroundings, this team has yet to bring in a young guy with no baggage from other teams (i.e. he's not a reclaimation project) to take over the reins. There are several nice prospects in this year's draft and the time is now for the 'Fins to take a shot on one of these young guys coming out in the draft (I'm still pissed that this team didn't grab Dave Ragone last year when he slipped to the third!...that guy's going to be an excellent QB in the NFL some day.)

give jay the weapons (remember he was hurt... because his line couldn't block) and he'll do the job. give him Derrius "jump to early" Tompson, James McKnight and a line who couldn't block and you're ASKING for a bad year all around.

give him a real #2, a good oline, and i'll be happy to wait and see.

Does 2002 count for recent? Remember, he would have been back in 3 games in 2003 if not for the choice of management to go with Leftwich.

In 2002 he started 15 games, completed 58.9 % of his passes (245-416), for 2,788 yards, 17 TD's and 7 INT's...rating of 85.7.

In fact, from 1996 through the 2002 season he missed a grand total of 8 games (or an average of a little more than 1 a season).

here is his stat page---> http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1032/gamelogs/2002

edited to include: I posted before I saw your reply to Zoom...please excuse my redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom