brutal play calling | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

brutal play calling

phatmatt

from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (in Canada)
Reaction score
I know we were playing from behind the entire game and our O-line wasn't really opening up holes (at least not for Ronnie Brown it seemed) but what was with the offensive play calling? Did anyone else notice that we passed twice as much as we ran the ball. I thought this was really stupid, especially considering the game was close throughout and our offense (minus the opening drive) wasn't getting any yards through the air.

I'm a believer in having some sort of balance with your offensive play calling and this was sorely lacking yesterday. Any thoughts?

phatmatt said:
I know we were playing from behind the entire game and our O-line wasn't really opening up holes (at least not for Ronnie Brown it seemed) but what was with the offensive play calling? Did anyone else notice that we passed twice as much as we ran the ball. I thought this was really stupid, especially considering the game was close throughout and our offense (minus the opening drive) wasn't getting any yards through the air.

I'm a believer in having some sort of balance with your offensive play calling and this was sorely lacking yesterday. Any thoughts?

Hindsight is always 20/20. In the middle of a game you don't know what's going to work until you try it and see what happens. They were playing tight coverage and had at least one safety up close to the line EVERY play. They took the game plan employed against us last year (minus the all out blitz packages) and patiently waited for us to make mistakes. Sorry to say it, but I think we got out coached on this one. Not due to the lack of running, but they were playing a very short pass and run defense. We took very few shots down the feild and when we did receivers couldn't catch (chamber) or frerotte decided to completely miss his target.

phatmatt said:

You just answered your own question! The Oline was not opening holes. So teh coaching staff took what the defense gave us, passing opportunities. Would you rather go back to the old ways of Wanny and run the damn ball for 1-2 yds per carry stubbornly? The playcalling wasn't stupid at all. The problem is their Dline dominated our offensive line, plain and simple. :shakeno:

Play calling is a very good question.

In a vertical stretch offense and the TE is the leading receiver?
McMike 8
Chamber 3

Huh?
I saw the game on TV, a very tight picture. If anybody that was there can comment on whether or not the JETS allowing McMike and denying the long ball?

You can have the greatest smartest mastermind gameplan in the world...but if you cant EXECUTE it doesnt matter.

Well yes I agree but, what angered me more was the blaten disregaurd to try and win the game. With about 9 minutes left in the game they played like it was 9 minutes left in the 1st quater not the forth. No hurry up the plays were up the gut instead of at least trying sideline passes to save the clock. i don't get it I know we are not going to win the SB or even make the playoffs but, at least look like your trying. There was nothing positive about that game at all. The anoucers kept saying that the Dolphins D was keeping them in the game what are they blind. If anything the Jets O kept them in the game. Their D was horrible. Losing don't bother me but, being competitive and playing hard is what you want to see improvement, impronement and improvement that's all I'm trying to say. I was sick watching that game. If that was a team like the Colts or the Eagles it would have been 42-7. That D-fence couldn't stop a pee wee team.

i think the passing plays were fine. The reason why McMike had more catches than Chambers was because Ty Law was having an outstanding game. He had our recievers blanketed everytime i saw him. The only thing I questioned was whether or not we abandoned the run a little early. The holes werent there but on our TD drive Ronnie looked like he was starting to get going. I think its hard to throw 43 times in a game and win. Again, this is all in hindsight and I think we called a decent game.

Add double digit penalties and you've got a recipe for a loss. If anyone thinks you can make that many mistakes on the road and win the game you're a dreamer. The field goal screw up really hurt. We were coming right back to answer their touchdown. We came up a little short and had to settle for 3. THEN YOU DON'T GET THE THREE!!!!!!!! On the plus side the team showed character by coming back with a touchdown making it a 3 point game. At least we challenged in the 4th quarter! That's major IMO. Of course that's when we let the Jets carve us up and march right down the field to clinch it. That's when we needed our D to stop them and they couldn't. Pennington goes 7 for 7 and it was tough to watch and now we've got to live with it. We're a much better team under Coach Saban, much more fun to watch and I did post before the season started that if we can go 2-2 and get Rickey back we just might end up sneaking up on some people. If it makes anyone feel better I think Losman stinks and Buffalo aint going nowhere with him. He's no Jim Kelley.

NorFlaFin said:
Play calling is a very good question.

In a vertical stretch offense and the TE is the leading receiver?
McMike 8
Chamber 3

Huh?
I saw the game on TV, a very tight picture. If anybody that was there can comment on whether or not the JETS allowing McMike and denying the long ball?
wiggins was the vikings' leading receiver last year

you know what i dont get with the running game, i mean this has nothing to od with anything really... but we've been running that reverse a few times right, hit chambers long on it week 1, chambers and welker ran it this jets game that i can remember... why dont we run fakes off that ever?

bring the WR around the back like 4 times a game, a couple fakes and a couple actual reverses to try to open some space... the middle is clogged up when we are running, we need more misdirections and trickery to open up some room... i dont understand why we dont do that?

phatmatt said:

I thought the playcalling was fine, the problem was execution. Receivers were dropping key passes, Gus missed a few open receivers, the Offensive line did a below average job, Ronnie reminded everyone that he is after all a Rookie, and that high snap of the missed FG really changed the momentum of the game.

Now with all those problems against the Jets, I have to go on record, and say I am as confident Today, as I was last week. Miami was playing a desperate Jets Team, in their home, after blowing out another team that should have beaten us (Or so the so called experts predicted). One of the biggest reason we did not win was a running game. Both Offenses struggled, but the Jets found a Running game with Curtis, and nothing helps you more in a defensive struggle, then a running game.

We all knew the problems we were going to face with Ricky out for 4 weeks, and we cannot expect Ronnie to instantly become a force, he was not used as the premier back in College, came in late to preseason, and he is only a Rookie starting to get adjusted (Unlike Caddie that took his lumps in preseason, and already was battle tested in college). Ron Brown is going to be a great back for us, but before he can run, he needs to learn to walk in the NFL.

Many here said that if Miami ends up with 2 wins in our 1st 4 games, they will be very pleased, well, we still can get 3 wins, this team just needs to execute better. Penalties, missed blocking assignments, dropped passes, bad throws are things that cannot continue to happen, and are the things that drive Saban crazy. Both offenses were struggling, and I do not know if Ricky had been in the game, if it might have been a different game, but when he comes back, this offense will have another weapon. Let's try to be patient.

I thought play calling was fine. I was actually impressed with it. We threw deep, Gus either was off, or the WRs didn't catch the ball. Also, Gus was getting hit every time he threw the ball. He didn't have a ton of time to wind up and throw it deep.

That first drive gave me chills until the 1st and goal. Everything was crisp and brilliantly called. We'll get better.

Back
Top Bottom